Logo convert and an observation.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Re: Logo convert and an observation.

Post by johncolescarr »

I was in the hate camp for ages, in fact I didn’t like any of the logos. But I’ve grown to actually appreciate it and dare I say like it?. I think CW are also getting very good at balancing the dials, especially the new mk3 tridents. CW are still a very new brand but I feel that the logo is done and here to stay for as long as the watch brand is. I for one hope that’s a long time!
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Fair enough.

Please excuse me if I can't say likewise.
Hollis Brown
Junior
Junior

Post by Hollis Brown »

I think the main issue at the start was actually more the balance of the dial.
I don't like the logo at 9 when there is a gaping great gap of nothingness at 12.
With the 'twin flags' at 12, the logo at 9 doesn't bother me as much, because the dial is more balanced.
Subdials also help fill in the GGGoN, or force the logo back to 12.
I can't foresee ever buying another CW with logo at 9, text at 6, and nothing at 12.
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

The C65 Trident Diver offends my eyes...huge 12 and 6, no date and empty space. Yes it has the flags but they are so subtle as to be invisible.

On the plus side, I'm not spending any money on watches I don't need... :D :D
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Yeah, for those of us who can't live with it, it really is "see ya". CW has made it clear that this is their 'thing' and they plan to stick with it. Luckily, there are plenty of other options out there.

See ya.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

FloridaPhil wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:54 pm Yeah, for those of us who can't live with it, it really is "see ya". CW has made it clear that this is their 'thing' and they plan to stick with it. Luckily, there are plenty of other options out there.

See ya.
That’s what I told Ferrari. Never could stand that bloody horse!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:11 pm
FloridaPhil wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:54 pm Yeah, for those of us who can't live with it, it really is "see ya". CW has made it clear that this is their 'thing' and they plan to stick with it. Luckily, there are plenty of other options out there.

See ya.
That’s what I told Ferrari. Never could stand that bloody horse!
So, how IS the Yugo Steve? :lol:
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Trabant, dear boy! Faster than Usain Bolt in shackles.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Gasman
Senior
Senior

Post by Gasman »

I like the logo at 9 it’s different from the norm.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

On this Forum, and probably in the general public, there will some that really dislike the 9o'clock logo, some that aren't bothered 1 way or the other and some that love it.

As CW have said they will not change their mind(s), unless I presume a design of a new watch requires it, does this need discussing anymore? That's a rhetorical question BTW.
DavecUK
Expert
Expert

Post by DavecUK »

I read this thread with interest because of course we all like what we like and have various personal reasons for liking it. My surprise was that I am unaware of how much actual marketing CW did for the new branding and why they change it as often as they do, especially when we as human beings in general dislike and resist change. Usually change has to be demonstrated to bring some benefit or significant improvement that "convinces" us it's worthwhile. Branding is a really tricky one, because it's all about perception...the Spirit of Ecstasy, BMW Propeller, Rolex crown etc.. Changes over the years are evolution, subtle and considered..They gently move us to a new acceptance of the reimagining marketeers have for the brand. The heritage is always maintained as much as possible.

I've always tried to be open to change but with more important watch purchases, I like certain things that I guess have not changed. I like watches that are confident in themselves with balanced dials. For me the CW name at 3pm and 9pm and 9pm is pretty much a deal breaker. I suppose if that's how it goes and the only watches that I "like" have the branding there, if I want it I have to "accept" it or move on. Sometimes we learn to accept imposed changes that are unwelcome when we have no choice, but watches are all about a choice who we buy from and what we buy.

It would have been interesting to have had 3 identical watches at identical prices, the only change being the position/font of the CW brand and see which one sold best. Interestingly I think there were only few comments that said they liked the new branding position etc... the impression I got from reading the comments was people learnt to like it, or it actually looked OK in the flesh.

I purchased this recently, the things I like about the dial, in terms of logo and balance.

- Modern font that harks back to the classic days of watchmaking, especially the large and small capitalised font
- Makers name is not overdone e.g. Christopher Ward rather than the classier and more historic looking Chr Ward
- It says London on it...I want it to say London, I want it to look British and the the informational text is small, as it should be.
- The dial is simple, balanced and not overcomplicated
- The minute hand and hour just reach their respective indices (I like that)
- The date window is subtle and well placed not encroaching past the inner indices limit.
whycw.JPG
Of course, it's just what I personally like... :)
by Mikkei4 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:13 am
On this Forum, and probably in the general public, there will some that really dislike the 9o'clock logo, some that aren't bothered 1 way or the other and some that love it.

As CW have said they will not change their mind(s), unless I presume a design of a new watch requires it, does this need discussing anymore? That's a rhetorical question BTW.
Will CW read it, will they change their minds, almost certainly not....I realise the question is rhetorical but now I feel a little uncomfortable about having given my opinion and trying to add to the discussion. Clearly I thought there was some merit in discussing it, otherwise why are we here?
Amor Vincit Omnia

Dave, no problem in discussing it. It’s unlikely to change any time soon, and that is what a number of people have difficulty in accepting.

I agree with you, in fact, that CHR. WARD LONDON was the best of all worlds, but I know there are many who disagree. When it was introduced there was a lot of negative feeling, including from some long established members who declared it a deal breaker and said they would never buy a watch with that logo on. Which I guess goes to show that you can’t please everyone.

I have no strong feelings either positive or negative about the current word mark at 9, or about the original CW monogram logo. Neither one has ever been sufficient to put me off buying if I liked the watch.
Steve

StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

My personal favourite is the first edition branding...
Logo_1.jpg
An easily recognisable logo with the C wrapped around the W;
The brand name in full;
The association to a British brand with the LONDON;
Top centred at 12 to provide a nice balance to the dial.

As far as the new edition branding is concerned...
I can understand the need to have the brand name in full which I don't have a problem with;
As for it's positioning, well, if the dial is balanced then ok, e.g. a date window at 3 (otherwise the overall look feels a bit lop-sided).
The addition of the twin flags at 12 I can see balancing against the text at 6, however, in my opinion, I find it unnecessary other than on the motorsport range (the twin flags, in my eyes, being an association to a chequered flag and hence motorsport).

Does it stop me buying a CW watch...No, but it entirely depends upon the look.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

DavecUK wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:21 am

Will CW read it, will they change their minds, almost certainly not....I realise the question is rhetorical but now I feel a little uncomfortable about having given my opinion and trying to add to the discussion. Clearly I thought there was some merit in discussing it, otherwise why are we here?
Dave,
Please don't feel uncomfortable about giving your opinion of this discussion point. You are correct to do so - I was wrong to word my post as I did but that was probably because I do so hate the 9o'clock placing but like many of the CW designs released since the logo change and feel aggrieved that they're not available in the balanced symmetrical look that my brain requires. So I've got fed up stating my view.

Mind you I've saved a load of money so maybe I should thank CW for sticking to their present logo as I'd have way too many watches by now. :D
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

DavecUK wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:21 am I read this thread with interest because of course we all like what we like and have various personal reasons for liking it. My surprise was that I am unaware of how much actual marketing CW did for the new branding and why they change it as often as they do, especially when we as human beings in general dislike and resist change. Usually change has to be demonstrated to bring some benefit or significant improvement that "convinces" us it's worthwhile. Branding is a really tricky one, because it's all about perception...the Spirit of Ecstasy, BMW Propeller, Rolex crown etc.. Changes over the years are evolution, subtle and considered..They gently move us to a new acceptance of the reimagining marketeers have for the brand. The heritage is always maintained as much as possible.

I've always tried to be open to change but with more important watch purchases, I like certain things that I guess have not changed. I like watches that are confident in themselves with balanced dials. For me the CW name at 3pm and 9pm and 9pm is pretty much a deal breaker. I suppose if that's how it goes and the only watches that I "like" have the branding there, if I want it I have to "accept" it or move on. Sometimes we learn to accept imposed changes that are unwelcome when we have no choice, but watches are all about a choice who we buy from and what we buy.

It would have been interesting to have had 3 identical watches at identical prices, the only change being the position/font of the CW brand and see which one sold best. Interestingly I think there were only few comments that said they liked the new branding position etc... the impression I got from reading the comments was people learnt to like it, or it actually looked OK in the flesh.

I purchased this recently, the things I like about the dial, in terms of logo and balance.

- Modern font that harks back to the classic days of watchmaking, especially the large and small capitalised font
- Makers name is not overdone e.g. Christopher Ward rather than the classier and more historic looking Chr Ward
- It says London on it...I want it to say London, I want it to look British and the the informational text is small, as it should be.
- The dial is simple, balanced and not overcomplicated
- The minute hand and hour just reach their respective indices (I like that)
- The date window is subtle and well placed not encroaching past the inner indices limit.

whycw.JPG

Of course, it's just what I personally like... :)

That is a very measured and balanced post. :thumbup:

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK