Change in 60 Month Warranty Policy?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Change in 60 Month Warranty Policy?

Post by Robotaz »

Lavaine wrote:So the 60 month warranty is now a 48 month warranty, with a further 12 month service guarantee if CW services your watch. Considering the recent stories of 6 month + service times, really as little as a 6 month service guarantee after your 48 month service. A huge backwards move for CW considering how many other companies are moving to 60 month warranties.

60/60 is now false advertising. Another black mark on CW after sales service.
Is it 36 or 48? LOL
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Robotaz wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:03 am Is it 36 or 48? LOL
True. The new warranty is incredibly vague. If I develop a fault at month 47, but haven't had a service, is it covered or not? And in checking the service history, do they check if I've had the watch serviced independently? Someone used the analogy of car maintenance (which I don't think is accurate but let's go with it for a minute). I don't have to have my car serviced at the dealer for the warranty to remain valid, I only have to be able to provide proof (receipts) that maintenance was done. Does the same apply with my CW?
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
danielc

Post by danielc »

Yikes good catch. To have to mail my watch across the Atlantic for a mandatory service makes buying a CW less appealing. I have two now between 1-2yrs old and was thinking of a third. I wasn't planning on servicing them anytime before the 5yr warranty is up. Both are running extremely well and don't get as much wrist time as I would like.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

This honestly sounds like another situation that it would be worth seeking a response from Mike France.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

You don’t need to service an automatic after 3/4 years. Especially if it’s on rotation.
Then wait 6 months for a service, and comes back scratched, (personal experience).
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Definitely another clanger dropped, they are going to be in the schtuck with this one - a severe absence of joined-up thinking. Five year warranties from other makers are coming down the line fast (eg Omega, Ulysse Nardin) and servicing should be at the owner's discretion. Either it's warranted or it's timed out - no weaseling.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

I've never had a watch serviced. I doubt I'm the only one... This needs a careful review by CW.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

As it’s been reported somewhere that the Forum only accounts for about 3% of sales, I don’t think that this change will affect sales.

The majority probably only see the 60 month warranty and don’t realise the implications.

It would certainly factor into my future CW purchases though.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

In my view the power of the internet means that even if this is only muttered about on the forum, it could still come up in searches from potential customers.

5 year warranty very good.

4 year warranty good.

A 5 year warranty that based on this thread, no longer seems to be valid for 5 years, without strings attached, doesn’t sit well...
“When is a 5 year Christopher Ward watch warranty not really a five year warranty?”

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

They should no longer quote 60 months warranty without the disclaimer that the owner must have the watched serviced at some point in the first 4 years in order to activate year 5 warranty, or admit they've misjudged this and keep it as it was.

Some strange decisions and issues of late - sounds like servicing and claims are higher than they anticipated when they created the 60/60 concept and this is a way of paying for additional service technicians, as they can't cope with higher volumes mixed with poor quality.

Avoid.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

loving the silence from the fanboys
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

My 2014 C60 Trident MK1 is currently experiencing a stiff winding action (quiet at the back). I was planning on getting it serviced before the warranty expired, anyway.

My thinking was that it would cost £99 for the service and any new parts would be covered by the warranty. If CW honour the wording of my warranty card, that would be the case.

If they don’t, based on the same repair for my Tri-Tech, which was way past warranty date, I’ll be paying an extra £9.99 for the part and £7 postage!

I won’t be losing any sleep.
Steve.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@Bidnet - an interesting observation and thank you for bringing it to our attention. All goes to emphasise CW's mantra of 'Do your research'; as I trust any self respecting watch buyer will do before committing to a purchase.

I have no knowledge as to why CW have sought to bring about this change and I don't propose to speculate or comment on their reasons for doing so. Overall though, it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

I will though stick to a few basic facts and compare the revised CW warranty / service recommendation with a number of other notable brands.

Christopher Ward (wef Trident Mk3) - Warranty 5 years, Service Recommendation 3 - 4 years.

Bremont - Warranty 3 years, Service Recommendation 3 - 5 years.

Omega (wef watches purchased after 1st July 2018) - Warranty 5 years, Service Recommendation 5 - 8 years.

Oris - Warranty 2 years, Service recommendation 3 - 5 years.

Breguet - Warranty 2 years, Service recommendation variable depending on model but, as a rule, 3 - 4 years.

There will no doubt be other Watch Manufacturers with shorter or longer Warranty and Servicing criteria.

What this shows though is that;-

1. CW are competitive in the market place and their criteria are still generous.

2. They are the only manufacturer (from the examples above) where the Warranty period overlaps with the Service Recommendation i.e. the other manufacturers mentioned have their warranty expiring before a service is recommended, and thus, as has been mentioned in the comparison with Car Manufacturers, it seems reasonable for a service to be carried out for the warranty to continue to apply.

Ultimately, you pays your money and you takes your choice. :)

Finally, as to why CW have brought this into play, it is certainly a valid question to be put to the Co-Founders at the next GTG.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

jtc wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:27 am I've never had a watch serviced. I doubt I'm the only one... This needs a careful review by CW.
While I an not quite in that camp, I do agree with the sentiment. My service requirements are infrequent at best and I have never had a watchmaker comment on not being able to bring a watch to spec, even with a 190 year old pocket watch which by no stretch of the imagination can have been serviced "every 3-4 years".

But hey ho, expensive service departments need to make revenue too.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

Clarity is required from CW imho, but as mentioned earlier in the thread - if CW claim 60/60 (5 years warranty) then it needs to be 5 years as standard, or be brave enough to say it's now 4 years, or add the asterisk to any 60/60 references stating a service will be required before it's 4 years old. If not then it's misleading and false advertising.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris