First visit to CW - Any tips on avoiding bankruptcy?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Macdaz
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

First visit to CW - Any tips on avoiding bankruptcy?

Post by Macdaz » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:38 am

The week has arrived with my first visit to CW Towers booked for Friday. The universe has aligned, it is my birthday, I've just secured a new job and most importantly the Finance Director has agreed the release of funds to make a purchase. However, I know it's going to be like when Mrs Macdaz took us both out to a local farm "just to look" at the kittens. I knew as we left home there was no way in the world we would be coming back without a kitten. I was right.

Primarily I'm going to look at the C65 GMT Pepsi to see if I can get over the 9 o'clock logo issue. (Say it quietly because I don't want to spark another debate thread). I also really like the C8 P2725 but I already have two C8's and I promised myself the next addition will be a GMT.

So what can I expect from the visit and has anybody got any tips to help to keep me objective and not behave like a child in a sweetshop, or more to the point a bloke in a watch shop (with money in his pocket). I'm not sure I have the self discipline to just walk away!!!!
Omega SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Orient Mako & Mako XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C3 Malvern |Seiko Recraft|C8 Pilot Mk2 Vintage U-2|Vostok Komandirskie 1965|Laco Aachen|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes

Re: First visit to CW - Any tips on avoiding bankruptcy?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:52 am

Macdaz wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:38 am
Primarily I'm going to look at the C65 GMT Pepsi...

I'm not sure I have the self discipline to just walk away!!!!
Not sure you need to walk away. The GMT sounds like a semi-done deal if you can overcome your issue.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

josbrownlie
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by josbrownlie » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:58 am

What a glorious predicament for you. Looking forward to hearing the outcome
FS: MSTR MAJOR MJ106TL Gold/Black viewtopic.php?f=46&t=51230

Breitling B-1, CWL C9 Big Day Date x2, C60 Trident 300, C9 Jumping Hour Mk III, C9 Moonphase, C60 Trident Pro 600 x2, Steinhart Ocean 1

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 25
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:58 am

Leave your credit / bank cards at home and don't sign up for the 0% finance.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

C2 FLE |C3 Chrono |C4 |C5A MkI |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkII Harrier | C7 Auto Chrono |C70 DBR1
C8 MkI |C8 Reg'tor MkII LE |C8 M2.04LE |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC |C11 Mak Ext
C60 x2 |C60 SH21 x2 | C60 Chrono 300 & P'type |C65 Diver Khaki |C600 |C1000 |W7 BBMF
+1

Macdaz
Senior
Senior

Post by Macdaz » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:01 am

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:52 am
Macdaz wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:38 am
Primarily I'm going to look at the C65 GMT Pepsi...

I'm not sure I have the self discipline to just walk away!!!!
Not sure you need to walk away. The GMT sounds like a semi-done deal if you can overcome your issue.
You're right. The C65 has been the top of the list for ages (pending issue resolution). I guess my worry is the money burning a hole in my pocket may cloud my judgement when considering the resolution of said issue! A nice problem to have though I admit! :D
Omega SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Orient Mako & Mako XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C3 Malvern |Seiko Recraft|C8 Pilot Mk2 Vintage U-2|Vostok Komandirskie 1965|Laco Aachen|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:05 am

As an owner of the C65 Trident diver I can tell you they are beautiful!
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

tomc1944
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by tomc1944 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:41 am

I have the C65 Pepsi and I can tell you the beauty of the watch will far out shine the placement of the logo. You won't even notice it.
Christopher Ward C8 II, C60 MKII, C65 GMT Pepsi. Bulova Stars and Stripes.

McDaWisel
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by McDaWisel » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:48 am

And you might even start to like the logo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macdaz
Senior
Senior

Post by Macdaz » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:55 am

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:58 am
Leave your credit / bank cards at home and don't sign up for the 0% finance.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
I'd forgotten about 0% Finance...things just got interesting!

albionphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by albionphoto » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:36 pm

I seem to recall reading that 90% of visits to the showroom end up with a purchase (been there done that) so your chance of leaving without a purchase is already low. To beat the odds try to buy a strap not a watch. Otherwise you might as well accept the fact that you're going to buy a watch and then allow trepidation to turn into anticipation. Are the vouchers still active? If so that just makes purchasing even less painful.
Mark
Muehle Glashutte, Omega, Oris and Christopher Ward.

Macdaz
Senior
Senior

Post by Macdaz » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:47 pm

albionphoto wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:36 pm
I seem to recall reading that 90% of visits to the showroom end up with a purchase (been there done that) so your chance of leaving without a purchase is already low. To beat the odds try to buy a strap not a watch. Otherwise you might as well accept the fact that you're going to buy a watch and then allow trepidation to turn into anticipation. Are the vouchers still active? If so that just makes purchasing even less painful.
I want to make the purchase I just need to make sure that I'm not so giddy with the experience that I convince myself I like it, when deep down I don't. I'm also hampered by the fact that I've been looking for a GMT alternative for months and I haven't found anything that's pound for pound better value than the C65. So if not that, what? It's my Birthday I have to have something!

The other problem is how do I choose between them as there are two possibly three watches I really like, plus strap options then how do I make sure I stick at one!!!

All that said I'm really looking forward to the experience

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:59 pm

I think the time has come to remind you of a few rules. Revisit one of the best watch-based topics ever!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33126&p=477407&hili ... es#p477407
Steve
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:13 pm

Whether you end up buying or not it'll be a nice hour (minimum) spent looking at all the watches that Declan will have ready to show you. Even though you have the C65 GMT in mind you will be madly looking at all the others initially, especially now that the Mk3 Trident has been released for a month.

BUT start the viewing with the Pepsi first, as that is in your mind as the watch to purchase, so you give yourself sufficient time with it on your wrist on bracelet and strap to make a decision whether the overall look overcomes the 9o'clock logo. IMO the logo looks small on the C65 dial and even I liked the Pepsi despite the 9o'clock issue.

Then it'll be up to you how much you want to consider any other watches. Plus chat with Declan about forthcoming releases, what the situation is with the release of further colours and versions of the 40mm Trident Mk3 etc so you can report back to us all.

The Showroom has recently been decorated so overall it should be a pleasant experience. I may be wrong but whether vouchers are valid or not I think they tend to give discount on Showroom purchases anyway. Anybody recently bought at the Showroom to confirm this or not?

Macdaz
Senior
Senior

Post by Macdaz » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:48 pm

Mikkei4 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:13 pm
Whether you end up buying or not it'll be a nice hour (minimum) spent looking at all the watches that Declan will have ready to show you. Even though you have the C65 GMT in mind you will be madly looking at all the others initially, especially now that the Mk3 Trident has been released for a month.

BUT start the viewing with the Pepsi first, as that is in your mind as the watch to purchase, so you give yourself sufficient time with it on your wrist on bracelet and strap to make a decision whether the overall look overcomes the 9o'clock logo. IMO the logo looks small on the C65 dial and even I liked the Pepsi despite the 9o'clock issue.

Then it'll be up to you how much you want to consider any other watches. Plus chat with Declan about forthcoming releases, what the situation is with the release of further colours and versions of the 40mm Trident Mk3 etc so you can report back to us all.

The Showroom has recently been decorated so overall it should be a pleasant experience. I may be wrong but whether vouchers are valid or not I think they tend to give discount on Showroom purchases anyway. Anybody recently bought at the Showroom to confirm this or not?
Good advice. I really am looking forward to it. I'll certainly see if I can gather any intel! :thumbup:
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:59 pm
I think the time has come to remind you of a few rules. Revisit one of the best watch-based topics ever!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33126&p=477407&hili ... es#p477407
To misquote Han Solo: "Never tell me the rules" :D

Essex Paul
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Essex Paul » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:43 pm

Mikkei4 wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:13 pm

I got a discount last November, Declan first agreed to honour the £100 voucher that expired on 31st October.
But gave me 10% instead. Better.
Maybe because it was my first purchase I don’t know.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve