Trouble with the GMT hand on my Trident GMT

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
miket-nyc

Trouble with the GMT hand on my Trident GMT

Post by miket-nyc »

I'm having a very strange problem with my Trident GMT. The GMT hand no longer points to the proper place relative to the other hands. When it's exactly on a number, the minute hand isn't at 12 but is 20 to 25 minutes past 12. This makes it very difficult to use the GMT feature because that hand moves so little between hours anyway. I've attached a photo of the watch. The GMT hand is on 6, but the minute hand is about 25 minutes past the hour rather than being on the hour. This watch has never been apart, and the idea that the gears that move the GMT hand suddenly went awry and then went back to work normally is unlikely. So the only thing I can think of is that the GMT hand is too loose and somehow moved.

Has anybody else had this problem and what should I do about it? The watch may be under 5 years old and still under warranty, but I'm not the original purchaser and am not sure when it was purchased (the serial number on the back is 0515). At any rate, sending it back to CW under the guarantee for something so trivial as moving a hand seems ridiculous. Has anyone brought a CW to a regular watchmaker for something small like this, and how much did it cost?

Mike Taglieri
Attachments
GMT problem.jpg
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Trouble with the GMT hand on my Trident GMT

Post by Mikkei4 »

Serial numbers don't mean anything regarding age.
From what you've written it would seem that you bought it pre-owned without any accompanying paperwork?

I can only judged the age of your GMT by my own standard ceramic bezel Trident MkII which I bought very soon after the MkII was released and it's under warranty until January 2020. CW may accept that yours is still under warranty because of the release date - phone them and ask.
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

I’d a similar issue with my MkI C60 GMT. It was, if I remember correctly, £30 for CWL to fix.
Trying not to buy any more watches...
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

On the basis that the C60 Trident Pro 600 (Mk2) was released in 2015, your watch will be at a maximum 4.5 years old i.e. still within warranty.

It will clearly help you to have the Owners Handbook with Certificate of Authenticity to verify this.

Either way, I suggest you contact CW and see what they can do to help.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
miket-nyc

Post by miket-nyc »

Thanks. Yes, I have the owner's manual and the certificate of authenticity. I will contact CW.
miket-nyc

Post by miket-nyc »

I emailed CW today, telling them basically what I told you guys but also enclosing a scan of the Certificate of Authenticity, which is dated August 17, 2016. I don't have the date of sale to the original seller, but since the date on the Certificate is less than 5 years ago, the sale must have been as well, so I expect that they will repair it under the warranty without quibbling.

This has become one of my favorite watches, because CW is one of the only firms (along with Rolex) that hasn't abandoned smaller sport watches. I have a 39 mm Orient dive watch that's getting shabby and I was eventually hoping to replace, but I discovered that all their newer watches are at least 41.5 mm, and most are much larger. I have a small wrist, and with bigger watches I look like a child playing with Daddy's things.