Mk3 Trident Christopher Ward logo/txt

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Kido44

Mk3 Trident Christopher Ward logo/txt

Post by Kido44 »

Hi
I'm new to this forum so apologies if this has been discussed already.
I'm a big big fan of CW and have a CW Trident mk2 with the Chr.Ward logo at 12o clock and love the watch.
What I don't understand is this obsession by CW to have the full name as a txt/logo especially at the 9oclock place on the dial.
Is it just me that thinks the mk3 is a stunning watch but is let down by the 9oclock placement of the name.
If CW insist on the name, although the logo of the 2 flags is a excellent logo, why didn't they put it at 12 in smaller writing with the ward centred below the Christopher? ie
Christopher
Ward
I've showed the mk3 trident to 30 family and friends and all of them bar 1 wouldn't but due to the name at 9.

What do people feel?
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Mk3 Trident Christopher Ward logo/txt

Post by watchaholic »

Doesn't bother me in the least
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Greetings and welcome to the Forum. No need to apologise for asking a question.
The simple answer is, that it is what it is!
Steve.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Yep it's been well and truly discussed already, ever since the logo was changed from the Chr.Ward version in fact.

You'll see it'll appear now and again in various posts as the 9o'clock logo name is liked, disliked, doesn't bother some and all variances in between. There is even a poll on it somewhere amongst the topics. You'll also read that the sales of CW watches has increased with the new logo so it's unlikely to change anytime soon.

You have your opinion of it and others on here have their opinion. Nobody is right or wrong, it's just each persons opinion.

Some people are fed up with it still being discussed or stated. Others continue with various suggestions on how to make it look better.

In the end to put it bluntly ........
Don't like it ? Don't buy the watch, as others have decided not to do.
Like it ? Buy the watch, as others have decided to do.

You're probably best to find and read associated posts and then find another subject for your next topic.

Welcome to the strange world of watches and the CW Forum.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

^^^^You are not alone. This has been discussed at length, and there are members who have turned away from the brand because of the placement or the form of the wordmark or both. There’s a thread below which covers a lot of this discussion, and this isn’t the only thread where there have been extensive exchanges.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51444&p=761430&hilit=Logo#p761431
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Think it looks fine.
Quite like it.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

The logo is probably the most controversial subject going. Welcome to the forum and have fun looking through the back posts!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

It's certainly dull but doesn't seem to be to the detriment of the brand's sales' figure and overall success.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

WATCHWIZ wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:12 am It's certainly dull but doesn't seem to be to the detriment of the brand's sales' figure and overall success.
That's the same faulty logic employed by CW. Sales are up but would they have been even better without the controversial logo placement? We'll never know for sure but my suspicion is yes given the widespread condemnation of it from many prospective buyers (those who have not already bought into the brand) and many, like me, who have largely turned away from the new models.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 11:04 pm
In the end to put it bluntly ........
Don't like it ? Don't buy the watch, as others have decided not to do.
Like it ? Buy the watch, as others have decided to do.
This is what I have done.....although mainly the former.
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

Not sure if anyone else used to do this, but as a kid/teen I would occasionally doodle a logo based on my own name or initials to create a logo that I would feel proud of to eventually use on a product of my one some day. Daydreaming mostly, but alot of thought went in to my designs. Yet, any creativity and thought behind a couple of words in an uninspiring font, and to stick it off-centre, must have taken the board at CW all of 10 seconds to design which resulted in a "yeah, that'll do" decision.

Even if you look at the big names, like Omega, Rolex, JLC, Seiko Tudor, Citizen, who mostly just use some text, at least it seems these were thought through and are, well, good and iconic.

If CW was a big player and well known brand, and it's not, then getting a suitable logo (like the C and W circle for their Mk1s) would at least carry them forward. It's certainly a bizarre choice for the Mk3, although the twin-flags is marginally better albeit inspired by others, like Tissot, who utilise similar.

Font-gate is still quite probably the biggest debate on this forum (and not in a good way). Then again any publicity is often good publicity.

Even Invicta's logo is more inspiring. And contrary to many views, they're not even a bad brand.. Check out Josh's review on WIAA.

.. Stands well back

Hoping CW do adjust the font again one day. Maybe the crap Mk3 version is just a psychological decoy for better things ahead.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^^You don't like it really, then?
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

To those who don't like the logo at 9 o'clock, I guess you'll be wanting the final series of Game of Thrones rewriting next.

Ain't gonna happen.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

I'm sure it'll alter again over time, like anything, unless you know for sure to the contrary? But only when CW are happy to, which is fair enough. Somehow it seems to work well on the new C60 for some reason. Maybe it's just time getting used to it.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

^^It took me a while to get used to it. I was indifferent to the v.1 logo but really loved the CHR. WARD.

I'm fine with it now.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)