Mk3 Trident Christopher Ward logo/txt

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Re: Mk3 Trident Christopher Ward logo/txt

Post by WATCHWIZ »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:17 pm ^^It took me a while to get used to it. I was indifferent to the v.1 logo but really loved the CHR. WARD.

I'm fine with it now.
I seem to recall the CHR. WARD one got some stick too at launch?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

WATCHWIZ wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:25 pm Not sure if anyone else used to do this, but as a kid/teen I would occasionally doodle a logo based on my own name or initials to create a logo that I would feel proud of to eventually use on a product of my one some day. Daydreaming mostly, but alot of thought went in to my designs. Yet, any creativity and thought behind a couple of words in an uninspiring font, and to stick it off-centre, must have taken the board at CW all of 10 seconds to design which resulted in a "yeah, that'll do" decision.

Even if you look at the big names, like Omega, Rolex, JLC, Seiko Tudor, Citizen, who mostly just use some text, at least it seems these were thought through and are, well, good and iconic.

If CW was a big player and well known brand, and it's not, then getting a suitable logo (like the C and W circle for their Mk1s) would at least carry them forward. It's certainly a bizarre choice for the Mk3, although the twin-flags is marginally better albeit inspired by others, like Tissot, who utilise similar.

Font-gate is still quite probably the biggest debate on this forum (and not in a good way). Then again any publicity is often good publicity.

Even Invicta's logo is more inspiring. And contrary to many views, they're not even a bad brand.. Check out Josh's review on WIAA.

.. Stands well back

Hoping CW do adjust the font again one day. Maybe the crap Mk3 version is just a psychological decoy for better things ahead.

It seems to me that you are trying to create more controversy with a subject that has had more than its share of discussion on this forum. In fact, our recent survey suggests that the majority of members have no further desire to discuss. Easily found by searching, I think you will find that it has been discussed to death. The logo change was over 2 years ago.

Font gate....seriously?

Regardless of anyone's opinion, do you really think CW didn't research what they were doing?
WATCHWIZ wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 7:20 am Hello. New member from Somerset. Familiar with the brand but needed more interaction and what to buy next. Thanks.
I would have thought being familiar with the brand you would have been well aware of logo changes/discussions.

Regardless of Josh's 4 year old review, there is no comparison between Invicta and CW. Invicta is a company with zero scruples. Visit the
Watchlords Forum and search for Invicta if you want some real facts. As CW would say.."do your research".
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

Is Simon back?
Steve.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 1:54 pm To those who don't like the logo at 9 o'clock, I guess you'll be wanting the final series of Game of Thrones rewriting next.

Ain't gonna happen.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
Never watched any of GOT so I really don't care about the last episode. A bit like people who've never bought a prior model CW.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

I seem to recall, Kip, Josh was singing the praises of Invicta again recently, as will thousands of others. Aren't they owned by Glycine now, another reputable brand. Josh is a very knowledgeable individual and it implies you're saying his older reviews were not up to scratch?

Horses for courses? Besides, if folk want to discuss logos, let them or is this a police state forum being run from communist Far East or the Soviet era?

Also I'm not the OP for the thread so it's not me bringing the 'f word' up, just commenting as have others.
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

One issue with the font on the dial, and you are willing to forgo everything else that make C Ward such a true stand out in terms of overall value and design? Yea, I'd go with the Invicta...Hear they are on sale this week.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

WATCHWIZ wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:12 pm I seem to recall, Kip, Josh was singing the praises of Invicta again recently, as will thousands of others. Aren't they owned by Glycine now, another reputable brand. Josh is a very knowledgeable individual and it implies you're saying his older reviews were not up to scratch?

Horses for courses? Besides, if folk want to discuss logos, let them or is this a police state forum being run from communist Far East or the Soviet era?

Also I'm not the OP for the thread so it's not me bringing the 'f word' up, just commenting as have others.
Sorry, you got that backwards, Glycene got bought by Invicta.
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

watchaholic wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:22 pm
WATCHWIZ wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:12 pm I seem to recall, Kip, Josh was singing the praises of Invicta again recently, as will thousands of others. Aren't they owned by Glycine now, another reputable brand. Josh is a very knowledgeable individual and it implies you're saying his older reviews were not up to scratch?

Sorry, you got that backwards, Glycene got bought by Invicta.
Ah OK, fair point. That's interesting, which further shows that maybe Invicta know one or two things about watches after all? Glycine are hugely impressive.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:17 pm ^^It took me a while to get used to it. I was indifferent to the v.1 logo but really loved the CHR. WARD.

I'm fine with it now.
I think that's where I am. At the time it changed, I announced I would never buy a CW with the logo at 9. However, it's bled into my frame of normalcy over the last couple of years. It's like the The Smiths and the Stone Roses. At the time I hated them, but I've heard them so many times over the years, I choose to listen to them now.

The change of heart really gathered pace when I saw one in the flesh for the first time when I saw a friends C8 UTC Worldtimer and I really quite liked it. One thing I've found in searching for my next purchase, a GMT, there is so much around that just looks the same as everything else, and I'm starting to like the idea of something slightly different.

So...my showroom visit is booked in June to look at the c65 GMT Pepsi, to see if I'm over it. And as has already been mentioned I'll have two choices! (I have no idea what I will do if I don't like it as I can't find anything that touches it for the price).

One thing is for certain no matter how much we debate it, it isn't going to change anytime soon.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

I have a visit pencilled in to Maidenhead soon so seeing them with the new logo in the flesh may look better.
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

watchaholic wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 3:18 pm One issue with the font on the dial, and you are willing to forgo everything else that make C Ward such a true stand out in terms of overall value and design?
Yes, but it's the placement for me, not the font.

As incredulous as you may be at my opinion, the look, as well as the engineering, are determining factors in my decision to buy a watch or, indeed, many (most?) consumer items. Read the comments on any review of a CW watch and you tell me with a straight face that they aren't losing sales.

Believe me, I have tried to 'learn to like' the name at 9 and have bought 3 different watches in an attempt to do so. One was returned and 2 were sold solely, SOLELY, because I continue to dislike, passionately, the imbalance it brings to the dial.

I also briefly owned a C8 Power Reserve with the name at 12 and only returned it because it was too large for me otherwise I would have had no problem keeping it.

I still own a C60 Chrono with the new font at 3 which works because the left subdial balances the name/date.

To those who roll their eyes and sigh deeply at yet another discussion on a 'settled issue' I'd say that this forum is one of the few ways in which dissatisfaction can continue to be transmitted to CW from those of us who cannot buy into the cool new design. To tut, tut when the subject is raised is at worst the imposition of censorship by brow-beating and at best an attempt to have the author self-censor their opinions.

However, I do agree that, for now, CW seems to be hell bent on following this divisive (because that's what it likely intentionally is - I seem to recall the word disruptive being bandied around), design language. 'Moaning', or continuing to comment on it, might not change the direction right now, but it may factor in at a later date. After all, no watch brand has ever changed their logo before, have they? Nor have they introduced another dive watch size or improved lume or provided easier international returns or introduced a quick change bracelet based on customer feedback. Sigh.

I for one won't shut up because it bores some of the members here. Scroll on by if you are tired of hearing about it. The logo debate has more of a place here than many of the other irrelevant threads that roll on and on.

If further discussion is not wanted, then change the forum name to CW Fan Boys Only and be done with it
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
WATCHWIZ
Junior
Junior

Post by WATCHWIZ »

^^well said sir^^
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by watchaholic »

We all have opinions, and this world would be a very dull place indeed if we all thought alike.
Dwight
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Seems like classic Madjam to me.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Has anyone seen any evidence that sales have actually improved? As is known, CW himself said they had now reached 20k which matches the figure bandied around for the last 2/3 years, maybe more. Prior to that, the main thing I had read was that they believed the new logo had reduced the average buying age by 10 years - probably needed when so many old-hands walked the walk.

But as they don't release such data, all there is what the company say and they will hardly admit to sales decreasing.
'Tis me