Are import duties still an issue?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Re: Are import duties still an issue?

Post by Rice and Gravy »

I am waiting on a Mk3 Trident to arrive today and just got a notice of payment needed for Duty/Tax charges.

$111.55, apparently on the Steel Bracelet?

What should be my next steps? Call CW or call DHL?
Duties.PNG
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Rice & Gravy wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:55 pm I am waiting on a Mk3 Trident to arrive today and just got a notice of payment needed for Duty/Tax charges.

$111.55, apparently on the Steel Bracelet?

What should be my next steps? Call CW or call DHL?

Duties.PNG
The MKIII Trident is Currently $905 on the bracelet. If you used the current $125 discount code, that would take the cost down to $780. It is my understanding that Customs fees don't kick in until the value reaches $800. If CW completed the paperwork correctly it should show It is under that limit at $780. If you used the current coupon, I would contact DHL first and ask why they charged customs fees on a $780 value. If they say the value is reported as higher than $800, I would contact CW and ask why they reported it incorrectly and see if they can resolve the issue.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert

Post by Rice and Gravy »

The problem came about because CW did not apply the discount prior to dispatch as they were supposed to. I bought the MK3 blue 40mm, but the discount could not be applied at check out and I was assured it would be when sent. So the invoice with the watch still said $905 instead of $780 and below the customs fee amount. Talked to CW CS and at first they were going to refund the $125, but I'd still be on the hook for the fees. It's currently being investigated further with their logistics persons, and I believe a new invoice will be sent that can then be provided to DHL to release the watch with no fees.

So yes, import duties are still sort of an issue. :wave: :lol:
Omega SMP 2254.50
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert

Post by Rice and Gravy »

I will say this, I'd have to think long and hard about buying a watch greater than $800 from CW if I am assured of having to pay an extra $100 or more in customs fees. It loses it's appeal on value at that point. I certainly hope my issue gets resolved quickly so delivery doesn't get delayed further.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert

Post by Rice and Gravy »

Update: The new invoice was provided to DHL yesterday at about 2pm EDT and I spoke with them this morning at the start of business. Shortly thereafter the dispute and new invoice was routed for review. Apparently there is as much as a 24 hour turn around from that point, so it's possible the watch may clear and be out for delivery this time tomorrow. If there is only a 2 day delay I'll be pleased, but fact of the matter is there should have been none but for CW's mistake.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Rice & Gravy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:13 pm Update: The new invoice was provided to DHL yesterday at about 2pm EDT and I spoke with them this morning at the start of business. Shortly thereafter the dispute and new invoice was routed for review. Apparently there is as much as a 24 hour turn around from that point, so it's possible the watch may clear and be out for delivery this time tomorrow. If there is only a 2 day delay I'll be pleased, but fact of the matter is there should have been none but for CW's mistake.
Customs rules are different for all countries and CW ships all around the world, so I am sure it can be a challenge to make all their international shipments without the occasional glitch. The strange part of this whole thing is that you couldn't apply the $125 discount at checkout, which seems to have caused the problem. Did CS give you a reason they couldn't apply the discount at checkout as it seems like it should have been totally automated by using the current discount code?

Anyway, it looks like CW has resolved the problem by sending DHL a new invoice with just a couple of days delay on your part so hopefully you will enjoy the watch when you get it in the next day or so.

I had a CW watch held up in customs at Heathrow for two weeks last year because of a mistake on the paperwork by CW. CW worked with customs to figure it out and I received the watch a little late but all that is in the past now and I enjoyed the watch once I received it.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert

Post by Rice and Gravy »

Apparently there was a glitch on their website (shocking I know) when the 40mm blue first became available which did not allow for applying the discount code at check out for that specific watch. I brought it their attention and was told to go forward with the order and the discount would be applied at despatch by them. The discount wasn't applied and the full invoice was sent, and therein lies the problem that's since resolved. I've also today received the $125 refund from them after requesting it yesterday. As you say, ultimately it will all likely work out just fine, just seems indicative of the greater issues of CS that have become the norm. But to their credit with this, they did respond and help me get is sorted quickly. Crossing my fingers for delivery tomorrow.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Rice & Gravy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:35 pm Apparently there was a glitch on their website (shocking I know) when the 40mm blue first became available which did not allow for applying the discount code at check out for that specific watch. I brought it their attention and was told to go forward with the order and the discount would be applied at despatch by them. The discount wasn't applied and the full invoice was sent, and therein lies the problem that's since resolved. I've also today received the $125 refund from them after requesting it yesterday. As you say, ultimately it will all likely work out just fine, just seems indicative of the greater issues of CS that have become the norm. But to their credit with this, they did respond and help me get is sorted quickly. Crossing my fingers for delivery tomorrow.
Hopefully you will enjoy the watch when you get it. Make sure you post some pictures on wrist. I don't think I've seen any wrist shots of the 40mm blue yet :)
Malcolm

DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Rice & Gravy wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:35 pmI've also today received the $125 refund from them after requesting it yesterday.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

That just gave me nightmares flashbacks to my Makaira debacle when I first started with CW. Two shipping refund requests; back to back. That happened during the good ol' Wera-days too! :o
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert

Post by Rice and Gravy »

So 3 days after this was supposedly resolved it still sits "On hold" and DHL have opened up an investigation for me to determine why it has not been released from their facility in DC. Frustrating that all of this could have been avoided by merely including the correct invoice when it was sent.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
watchaholic
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by watchaholic »

Sorry to hear that. I'm like a six year old waiting for Christmas when I have something on order. :aufsmaul:
Time and money? I’ve spent most of mine on booze and women. The rest I just wasted…
Dwight
Gasman
Senior
Senior

Post by Gasman »

^^^^^^^^
I’m like him
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert

Post by Rice and Gravy »

Me too, and even more so at this point. Another morning, another "On Hold" status update. You would think DHL would do something beyond update the status, like let the recipient or sender know what the issue is. ](*,)
Omega SMP 2254.50
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert

Post by Rice and Gravy »

My watch arrived late Friday, sort of odd because it never was updated in their tracking or anything, just showed up. It was worth the wait and hassle though, it's a stunning watch.

So... if one were to buy a watch from CW over $800USD (after discounts) are the duty fees importing to the US unavoidable? There seems to be conflicting information in this thread.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
DEV.Woulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by DEV.Woulf »

Rice & Gravy wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:33 pmSo... if one were to buy a watch from CW over $800USD (after discounts) are the duty fees importing to the US unavoidable? There seems to be conflicting information in this thread.
Same thing I would like to know.
Christopher Ward | LORIER | MONTA | SEIKO

Joseph.