Are import duties still an issue?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
dickopf

Re: Are import duties still an issue?

Post by dickopf » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:50 am

Anybody in Canada have a breakdown of what they had to pay in fees to DHL?

watchaholic
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by watchaholic » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:52 am

"If I buy a phone and it is shipped by DHL, will they expect me to know the value of the screen, processor, RAM etc, or is this issue unique to watches?"

Yes, it is an issue unique to watches for some reason known only to those at the US Commerce department. Suppose it has to do with various precious metals?
Still, this should be something handled by CW, not dumped on the unsuspecting customer. Sadly, I won't be a buyer again until they get this sorted out.
Time is fleeting....happy hour, doubly so.

Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 am

dickopf wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:50 am
CWL doesn't use DHL for shipments to Canada. All purchases now ship Royal Mail / Canada Post. With Canada Post shipments you will only pay fees and taxes IF your package is inspected by Customs. My experience has been that about 1 in 3 international parcels are inspected and duties/taxes assessed.
Fees will be as follows:
$10 Canada Post brokerage fee.
5% duty on the complete watch. I don't know the duty on straps or accessories, as mine have always avoided fees.
5% GST + applicable provincial tax.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.

dickopf

Post by dickopf » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:38 am

Lavaine wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 am
dickopf wrote:
CWL doesn't use DHL for shipments to Canada. All purchases now ship Royal Mail / Canada Post. With Canada Post shipments you will only pay fees and taxes IF your package is inspected by Customs. My experience has been that about 1 in 3 international parcels are inspected and duties/taxes assessed.
Fees will be as follows:
5% duty on the complete watch. I don't know the duty on straps or accessories, as mine have always avoided fees.
Hmm interesting. My watched shipped with DHL, even though I opted for royal mail.
I was charged 159$ on top of the $1091 for the watch/bracelet. That's 14.5%, 1.5% higher than standard sales tax in Ontario. I am fine with this.

Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:04 pm

dickopf wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:38 am
Lavaine wrote:
dickopf wrote:
Fees will be as follows:
Hmm interesting. My watched shipped with DHL, even though I opted for royal mail.
I was charged 159$ on top of the $1091 for the watch/bracelet. That's 14.5%, 1.5% higher than standard sales tax in Ontario. I am fine with this.
That is a very reasonable brokerage fee, and only a few dollars more than CP would have charged. I've never received any international shipments by DHL, but have often heard they charge significantly less than the big 3. As far as receiving your shipment by DHL, was this recently? They changed the website to reflect RM/CP shipping only at least a few weeks ago. If this was a recent order, it's yet another example of CW still not getting their poop in a group as far as customer service is concerned.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.

dickopf

Post by dickopf » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:02 pm

Lavaine wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:04 pm
dickopf wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:38 am
Lavaine wrote:

Fees will be as follows:
That is a very reasonable brokerage fee, and only a few dollars more than CP would have charged. I've never received any international shipments by DHL, but have often heard they charge significantly less than the big 3. As far as receiving your shipment by DHL, was this recently? They changed the website to reflect RM/CP shipping only at least a few weeks ago. If this was a recent order, it's yet another example of CW still not getting their poop in a group as far as customer service is concerned.
Yes this was ordered July 11 so very recent. DHL is fast too, it shipped July 18 and it will be here tomorrow or tuesday.