C65 divers or GMT owner experience

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
andyboy

C65 divers or GMT owner experience

Post by andyboy »

Hi everyone. First time post here.

I'm looking to get either a C65 Trident Diver or C65 GMT and am interested in the owner experience of those who have had both. I'll probably buy both and return one but would like to know how people have found owning or wearing either watch. I current have an Oris Aquis and Alpina Startimer. Startimer is likely to get flipped as, in particular, it's a fingerprint and other mark magnet. It's also hard to clean these marks off. The Aquis suffers no such issues. Any issues with either of these watches?

Thanks,

Andy
Oris Aquis. Alpina Startimer
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Re: C65 divers or GMT owner experience

Post by mvlow »

Here are links to my reviews on the C65 Trident Diver and C65 GMT that I shared with this forum. In the C65 diver review I compare it to my GMT.

C65 Trident Diver review. I hope this is helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=50745

C65 GMT review.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=50385
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I have both. In fact, I have the GMT, and both versions of the Diver (auto and manual).

I find that all three are exceptional watches, especially for the price I paid. The GMT I find wears more dressy than the other two, especially as I prefer to keep it on the bracelet, but both divers fill the “casual/everyday” watch niche on their bracelets, leather straps or NATOs.

For me, the GMT rules though. Firstly, the movement is probably the smoothest to wind that I have ever owned (ETA over Sellita quality I wonder?) although all three are currently performing well within COSC parameters when worn day-to-day. However, it is the stainless steel bezel of my GMT that is, perhaps, the winning stroke. I have never put a mark on the aluminium bezels of my Divers, but their relative softeners always plays at the back of my mind. Having that additional robustness (as well as the absence of colour to allow wider strap matching options) means I find the GMT on my wrist more regularly than my other two.

Hope this helps,

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Great review of the C65 Diver Malcolm.
Very helpful as I’m looking for that to be my second CW. I’ve wavered since the Auto/date came out but I am still leaning towards the manual.
Agree that it would be even better with an auto movement but not a deal breaker for me, love the look over the newer version. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
andyboy

Post by andyboy »

Thanks all, and great reviews Malcolm. I read them a couple of months ago and enjoyed but good to be reminded of them again.

Sounds like people are pretty happy with both options.

Would welcome any thoughts/comments on how easily they attract thumb/finger prints but I'm pretty much there in terms of deciding to get both and then choose which one I like most. Leaning towards the GMT but want to see both in the flesh.

My birthday in a couple of weeks, so will likely get after that
joeegg17
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by joeegg17 »

I own both and think they are superb considering the price paid . I can one day see myself selling the Diver but can never imagine parting with the GMT it's just about perfect in my eyes , I have it on the canvas strap which although not the popular choice I think is perfect .
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

andyboy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 4:22 pm Thanks all, and great reviews Malcolm. I read them a couple of months ago and enjoyed but good to be reminded of them again.

Sounds like people are pretty happy with both options.

Would welcome any thoughts/comments on how easily they attract thumb/finger prints but I'm pretty much there in terms of deciding to get both and then choose which one I like most. Leaning towards the GMT but want to see both in the flesh.

My birthday in a couple of weeks, so will likely get after that
I don't see them being fingerprint magnets any more than any of my other watches. A quick wipe with a cleaning cloth when I put them on and they are good for the day. If I had to choose only one of them, it would be the C65 GMT. To me it just has more presence. I like the addition of the GMT hand and the stainless steel bezel. I've always kept it on the bracelet, but could imagine it would look great on a Nato with a hint of orange to match the GMT hand, or something like a Hirsch Robby with the orange stitching and rubber backing.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
andyboy

Post by andyboy »

Thanks all. Definitely veering towards the GMT on the leather strap but with the canvas too to switch it up. May also look to get a rubber or hybrid strap so I can comfortably take it swimming and on holiday
McDaWisel
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by McDaWisel »

I love the Pepsi version, but seems like not much interested for that model on these forums? I find the night / day indication really helpful with many colleagues being based out of California - 7 to 9 time zones away depending on where I am...
andyboy

Post by andyboy »

Like the look of the Hirsch Robby with orange backing. I guess there may be a slight clash in terms of shade of orange (hard to tell online), but could definitely be a contender in place of a CW Hybrid strap, though they are a fair bit more expensive. Thanks for the tip Malcolm
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

andyboy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:27 am Like the look of the Hirsch Robby with orange backing. I guess there may be a slight clash in terms of shade of orange (hard to tell online), but could definitely be a contender in place of a CW Hybrid strap, though they are a fair bit more expensive. Thanks for the tip Malcolm
Don't forget that the Hirsch does not have quick release which does make it more of a fag to change (which may not be an issue for you of course) not to mention the ever present possibility of a painful slip with the 6767.....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
andyboy

Post by andyboy »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 pm
andyboy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:27 am Like the look of the Hirsch Robby with orange backing. I guess there may be a slight clash in terms of shade of orange (hard to tell online), but could definitely be a contender in place of a CW Hybrid strap, though they are a fair bit more expensive. Thanks for the tip Malcolm
Don't forget that the Hirsch does not have quick release which does make it more of a fag to change (which may not be an issue for you of course) not to mention the ever present possibility of a painful slip with the 6767.....
Yes, lack of quick release on Hirsch a bit of an issue, though not too time consuming to swap out. Anyone know of anything similar to the Hirsch with quick release.

Barton do a black and orange silicon strap (https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/collec ... e-silicone). I don't think it's anywhere near as nice as the Hirsch but it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Looks like once I've decided on which watch I'll keep I may end up buying a few straps and deciding which ones to keep. Should be popular with my wife! :D
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

andyboy wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:59 pm

Barton do a black and orange silicon strap (https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/collec ... e-silicone). I don't think it's anywhere near as nice as the Hirsch but it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Looks like once I've decided on which watch I'll keep I may end up buying a few straps and deciding which ones to keep. Should be popular with my wife! :D
The Barton is very nice but simple, while the Hirsch is more elaborate. Different strokes.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
chinchillasong

Post by chinchillasong »

I'm also interested to see some C65 on different straps.
Does anyone has pictures of the C65's on nato or other rubber straps?
cheddar

Post by cheddar »

Appreciate the reviews, as I’m also considering the C65. And I also would be interest in seeing it on some different straps, as I like to change straps ot a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk