What would you like to see next?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 19631
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sun May 05, 2019 9:12 pm

Jcalder68 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:14 pm
Addition of a 3, 6, 9 and 12 would be the kipper’s knickers ;-)
Which would cause me to place my watchbox in the safety of my friend's garden shed...

Image

...in Penzance!
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage


@Avo238

User avatar
StrappedUp
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 2:14 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: South Wales

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by StrappedUp » Sun May 05, 2019 9:45 pm

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:05 pm
StrappedUp wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:51 pm
Just one of those mkIII GMTs in 40mm please :wave:
With a blue dial, orange GMT and "Orange Pepsi" bezel (Orange/Blue).

I made up the bezel, I think, but why not?? :lol:
I'll take one of those! Irn Bru edition 8)
Ryan

User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 19631
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sun May 05, 2019 10:08 pm

“Irn Bru” bezel, of course! Well done that man!
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage


@Avo238

Ttf23
Senior
Senior
Posts: 183
Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by Ttf23 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:47 pm

+1 for the 40mm explorer. I’d also like to see CW pushing boundaries with dial textures / colours. Watches like the C7 hornet, ombré etc. Perhaps a meteorite dial, or some out there colours like the green on the Halios Seaforth B.

User avatar
jkbarnes
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 632
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 8:39 pm
CW-watches: 1

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by jkbarnes » Sun May 05, 2019 11:35 pm

This post has me thinking I’d like to see something inspired by or reminiscent of a classic tank style watch.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52058&p=773311#p773311

User avatar
nordwulf
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2004
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:39 am
Location: USA - Netherlands

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by nordwulf » Mon May 06, 2019 4:05 am

C60 Trident quartz with the same features as the automatic. And not a basic quartz movement but with automatic hand positioning, perpetual calendar, solar charging and atomic time sync or HAQ. Basically a Casio Oceanus features in a C60.
CW Aficionados on Facebook - Watch forum, reviews, images and buy/sell: Horology.World

Chris375
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 pm
CW-watches: 4

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by Chris375 » Mon May 06, 2019 8:10 am

How about a digital (red LED) and analogue combination similar to the Omega Speedmaster Spacemaster Z33? Something totally different for CWL.

Cheers
Chris
4xCW, 2xBremont, 2xTag Heuer, 1xTudor, 1xOmega, 1xSeiko

User avatar
PaulJS
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:31 am
CW-watches: 7
Location: North Devon

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by PaulJS » Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 am

Not related to a specific style of watch but more to do with the ethos behind it:

I would like to see them initiate a motorsport model that has planned in longevity with the aim of building a heritage over the years - at the risk of getting laughed out of town, akin to the Speedmaster or Daytona.

By definition this will be a long term endeavour, but I feel that if they want to realistically push up into the £2K plus area of the market it can't be done by bringing out 'here today gone tomorrow ' flavour of the month models. They need to build a history behind a specific watch by allowing it to evolve over the years. This was happening with the Trident Pro but in my view they have, in one mighty leap, pretty much binned any historical connections through the number of changes made in the latest iteration. This is not to say that I don't like it.

Anyway, I digress. Back on topic, I think the brand needs to demonstrate it's maturity by starting to develop a core of mainstay models that can be seen to evolve and improve over the years.

Failing this I would like to see the following spec :

Case material: Unobtanium

Movement: Miniaturised nuclear fission reactor

Category: Dive / Aviation / Motorsport hybrid

Features: Built in SCUBA, / Parachute / Airbag & strap pretensioner

Logo at 12 O'clock (sorry, couldn't resist)

Retailing at <£499

What could be simpler?

Paul
Trident Pro White / Blue
C20
C4
Omega Speedmaster II LE
Omega Speedmaster II original-ish
Trident Pro Black/Blue
C70 VW4
C65 LE
C7 MK 1
Scurfa Diver One

User avatar
richtel
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:10 pm
CW-watches: 8
Location: Cotswolds

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by richtel » Mon May 06, 2019 11:21 am

I'm with Frank- a long battery-life quartz diver with simple 3-hand or GMT HAQ movement in the new 40mm case.

Also a military-style auto along the lines of a Ranger.
Rich

User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 19631
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 am

PaulJS wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 am

What could be simpler?

Paul
Swimming the Pacific?

But to come back to your initial point, it's worth noting that a lot of the watches linked with great historical events were just fortunate to be there at the beginning.

I doubt whether the Speedmaster qua Moonwatch was in anyone's mind at Omega back in 1957. But after Schirra wore his on Mercury and NASA selected it out as the astronaut watch, they sure cashed in on it - and still do. Serendipity notwithstanding, they were already a leading global brand by 1963.

Similar with Eterna (the Kon-Tiki) in 1947 and Rolex/Smiths (Everest) in '53. AFAIK they just gave the guys a few watches in return for publicity should the venture prove successful. Nowadays they'd probably be required to bankroll the thing to the tune of tens of millions. Not so easy.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage


@Avo238

User avatar
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 7469
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:45 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Edinburgh

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by Thegreyman » Mon May 06, 2019 11:53 am

StrappedUp wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:45 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:05 pm
StrappedUp wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 5:51 pm
Just one of those mkIII GMTs in 40mm please :wave:
With a blue dial, orange GMT and "Orange Pepsi" bezel (Orange/Blue).

I made up the bezel, I think, but why not?? :lol:
I'll take one of those! Irn Bru edition 8)
Perfect, we’ve had coke and Pepsi so why not irn bru :clap:

Should be a good seller up here!
Patrick

C11 Makaira Pro, C60 FLE Scooter Blue, W11(wife)

Some others + a few on the way

User avatar
H0rati0
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:49 am
CW-watches: 3
Location: Bayern

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by H0rati0 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:19 pm

PaulJS wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 am
Not related to a specific style of watch but more to do with the ethos behind it:

I would like to see them initiate a motorsport model that has planned in longevity with the aim of building a heritage over the years - at the risk of getting laughed out of town, akin to the Speedmaster or Daytona.

By definition this will be a long term endeavour, but I feel that if they want to realistically push up into the £2K plus area of the market it can't be done by bringing out 'here today gone tomorrow ' flavour of the month models. They need to build a history behind a specific watch by allowing it to evolve over the years. This was happening with the Trident Pro but in my view they have, in one mighty leap, pretty much binned any historical connections through the number of changes made in the latest iteration. This is not to say that I don't like it.

Anyway, I digress. Back on topic, I think the brand needs to demonstrate it's maturity by starting to develop a core of mainstay models that can be seen to evolve and improve over the years.
I too would like to see a core of "classic" models - although at the end of the day the customers will decide.
PaulJS wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:16 am

Case material: Unobtanium

Movement: Miniaturised nuclear fission reactor

Category: Dive / Aviation / Motorsport hybrid

Features: Built in SCUBA, / Parachute / Airbag & strap pretensioner

Logo at 12 O'clock (sorry, couldn't resist)

Retailing at <£499

What could be simpler?

Paul
The spec sounds ok, but better they use Hydrogen cold fusion (some CW divers already have a Helium release valve) as with fission there is too much waste - though lume wouldn't be a problem - and the case would get hot enough that the quick adjust bracelet would not have enough range.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

User avatar
Bahnstormer_vRS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 19763
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm
CW-watches: 29
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Mon May 06, 2019 1:14 pm

CW have produced, to date, a couple of fine watches with TM-B Art Metal additions from notable Supermarine Spitfire and Hawker Hurricane WW2 aircraft.

How about something similar for an Avro Lancaster, perhaps one of the Dambuster aircraft, and rather than being a regular three hand watch use a bicompax Chrono movement?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

C2 FLE |C3 Chrono |C4 |C5A MkI |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkII Harrier |C70 DBR1
C8 MkI |C8 Reg'tor MkII LE |C8 PR&M2.04LE |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC |C11 Mak Ext
C60 x5 |C60 SH21 x2 | C60 Chrono 300 & P'type |C65 Diver Khaki & P'type |C600 |C1000 |W7 BBMF

danielboone72
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 4:48 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Hemel Hempstead,England

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by danielboone72 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Christopher Ward are lucky to have Johannes Jahnke what he did with the moonphase brilliant. I'd let Johannes Jahnke run a mock. See if he can create an annual calendar affordable, then a perpetual. Also a show piece challenge, sunrise sunsets eclipses, moons of Jupiter.

When he's older really lay the gauntlet down is there any way to make a mechanical watch accurate to 1 second a month. Or a minute a year.

Daniel
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leornado Da Vinci

User avatar
H0rati0
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 857
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:49 am
CW-watches: 3
Location: Bayern

Re: What would you like to see next?

Post by H0rati0 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:49 am

danielboone72 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:08 pm
Christopher Ward are lucky to have Johannes Jahnke what he did with the moonphase brilliant. I'd let Johannes Jahnke run a mock. See if he can create an annual calendar affordable, then a perpetual. Also a show piece challenge, sunrise sunsets eclipses, moons of Jupiter.

When he's older really lay the gauntlet down is there any way to make a mechanical watch accurate to 1 second a month. Or a minute a year.

Daniel
Unfortunately, JJ quit and joined Sellita, but his legacy lives on :respect:
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

Post Reply