CW Financing Option

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TP Fit
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

CW Financing Option

Post by TP Fit » Fri May 03, 2019 3:55 am

Occasionally, but accidently I have searched the UK website and ran into the 0% interest finance option and got excited..end result, dismay.
Realizing I was on the UK website. I was interested in finding out how many of you take advantage of this free financing and how often it affects your spending habits on the CW website. For me, I would have already bought my second watch, and perhaps 3rd if this was an option. Unfortunately, this is only offered to UK residents. I am just curious if CW has considered giving some type of other financing options outside of the UK. I know one of the goals of CW is to expand into the US, an untapped market. I just figured if it would impact my spending then maybe it would for other US CW fans...just a thought. Obviously, even finance with the normal cost of interest or having some other outside vendor manage it for them. I just think if, CW intends on expanding their global market, then they should perhaps treat or offer some type of options to them as well.

Cheers!

PS I am quite happy about the new C60 Trident line...well done CW!!!

Ted

Laird
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 22

Re: CW Financing Option

Post by Laird » Fri May 03, 2019 8:17 am

Do you qualify for PayPal Credit - they offer 6 months interest free in the USA I believe - only 4 months in the UK ...
Rolex Oyster BubbleBack | Most C70 +EXCEPT+ C70 US Cunningham Stripe & DBR1 COSC/AM100 | C7 'BlueBird' | C7 IRR COSC | C7 Mk2 BRG LE | C7 Rapide Mk2 COSC | C4 Phoenix | C60 316L 'Mellow Yellow' | C8 UTC | C60 Trident GMT | C65 Classic Rose Gold |

TP Fit
Junior
Junior

Post by TP Fit » Fri May 03, 2019 8:20 am

I wasn't aware that PayPal extended credit, I will look into it soon. Thank you for the suggestion!

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by TigerChris » Fri May 03, 2019 12:36 pm

I try not to use credit at all unless an absolute emergency. Where luxury items are concerned I only buy if I can afford to pay for it there and then. I would never buy a watch on credit.

H0rati0
Forumgod
Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 pm

TigerChris wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:36 pm
I try not to use credit at all unless an absolute emergency. Where luxury items are concerned I only buy if I can afford to pay for it there and then. I would never buy a watch on credit.
Agree entirely. This worldwide credit binge will end in tears.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

Essex Paul
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Essex Paul » Fri May 03, 2019 1:16 pm

I used it when buying my CW.
As it was best part of £1600 and have disposable income every month I could've either saved up for it OR enjoy it now and pay monthly.
I’m 6 months in and hardly notice it. Think for that amount it’s well worth it, no brainier.
If I had £1600 spare at the end of the month I obviously wouldn’t have done it.
Will I do it for my next CW at around £700? Dunno, probably yes.
My mate has a Rolex on 3 year 0% and obviously can afford payments. He’s halfway through and forgot all about it. He’ll have 3 years joy from wearing it whereas he’d have had to save for 3 years. Then find the price would’ve increased.
Not for everybody but a great way to own a nice watch.
If you're lucky to have hundreds left over every month then no, not for you. Hopefully CW can get a tie in with a US finance company and offer the same. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve

johnnysharp2
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by johnnysharp2 » Fri May 03, 2019 1:50 pm

If it's 0% and someone would prefer to spread the cost rather than have one big outlay then I don't see why not.
It is a useful option CW offer that might suit some people better.
Johnny

McDaWisel
Senior
Senior

Post by McDaWisel » Fri May 03, 2019 2:28 pm

I would use 0% credit for larger purchases for sure, specially for cars it’s a great option if you understand the maths behind it. For luxury items I would use it too, but items only if I had the money in the bank. I doesn’t feel right to me to buy a watch on credit if I didn’t have the money.

Even if you have the 1600 £, put it into a savings account and pay off the loan from the savings account. At least you get the interest. Fair enough, you will make about 20 £ of interest over 3 years. I have done that a bit for cars as well. Take out 0% loans even though he money was there. For larger amounts the interest of course adds up to something a little more interesting! (Not telling you to buy a more expensive watch btw :-))

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris » Fri May 03, 2019 3:40 pm

McDaWisel wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:28 pm
I would use 0% credit for larger purchases for sure, specially for cars it’s a great option if you understand the maths behind it. For luxury items I would use it too, but items only if I had the money in the bank. I doesn’t feel right to me to buy a watch on credit if I didn’t have the money.

Even if you have the 1600 £, put it into a savings account and pay off the loan from the savings account. At least you get the interest. Fair enough, you will make about 20 £ of interest over 3 years. I have done that a bit for cars as well. Take out 0% loans even though he money was there. For larger amounts the interest of course adds up to something a little more interesting! (Not telling you to buy a more expensive watch btw :-))
I have to admit that I have done it that way with certain things in the past but, with interest rates how they are now, I just can’t be bothered for the little return and pay up front.

TP Fit
Junior
Junior

Post by TP Fit » Fri May 03, 2019 3:54 pm

I agree, with the 0% option. No interest, why not? I am not a big fan of getting in debt but this is a short term solution not a long term commitment for thousands of dollars. I do have the money, but its nice to keep some of it for other things as well. Thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers!

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris » Fri May 03, 2019 4:15 pm

TP Fit wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:54 pm
I agree, with the 0% option. No interest, why not? I am not a big fan of getting in debt but this is a short term solution not a long term commitment for thousands of dollars. I do have the money, but its nice to keep some of it for other things as well. Thanks for everyone's input.

Cheers!
Out of ‘interest’, which model are you looking at?

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by nbg » Fri May 03, 2019 5:51 pm

H0rati0 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 pm
TigerChris wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:36 pm
Agree entirely. This worldwide credit binge will end in tears.
I reckon you are correct Nick.

One in particular that I think will end in tears is PCP for cars.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Fri May 03, 2019 6:10 pm

Nothing wrong with 0% as long as you can afford the payments. I did once buy a watch on that basis back in 1993, but probably wouldn’t do so these days.

On the other hand, I have been doing PCP for many years. It has probably cost me a bit more in the long run, but in the last 17 years I have never had to shell out for a new tyre, brake job, exhaust or MOT. Plus I get to drive a nice new car around every three years. I’m not an ardent motorist and I don’t buy mega expensive cars – they are a convenience to get me in comfort from A to B. So I quite like the idea.
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage

@Avo238

TP Fit
Junior
Junior

Post by TP Fit » Fri May 03, 2019 6:27 pm

Sorry Tiger Chris, excuse me for being a newbie and not knowing how to quote/reply back to you. Now that I know PayPal offers a short term no interest plan, I will go with that option. Generally, I agree with everyone on the credit, if I don't have to I won't. Thanks for asking.

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 29
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Fri May 03, 2019 6:28 pm

Sometimes it's good to have the occasional Finance Agreement to keep your Credit Rating / Score / Profile ticking over.

If you can afford the repayments, even if you have cash in the bank, it can make good sense; even more sense with 0%.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

C2 FLE |C3 Chrono |C4 |C5A MkI |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkII Harrier |C70 DBR1
C8 MkI |C8 Reg'tor MkII LE |C8 PR&M2.04LE |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC |C11 Mak Ext
C60 x5 |C60 SH21 x2 | C60 Chrono 300 & P'type |C65 Diver Khaki & P'type |C600 |C1000 |W7 BBMF