Going to give an MK3 GMT 38mm a try.

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Going to give an MK3 GMT 38mm a try.

Post by strapline »

Have you had any chance to check out the performance of the new and improved lume? And what about the omission of the lume pip, do you feel the bezel suffers for that?
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Rice and Gravy »

Concerning the 2mm difference in cases. It's not just the 2mm diameter difference between 42 and 40, it's also slightly thinner, 12 grams lighter, 2mm less between the lugs, as well as 2mm shorter lug to lug. In the pictures I've seen all of those things add up to a visually smaller watch for sure, and less hefty on the wrist too day to day I'd imagine. And that makes a big difference to those with less 7" wrists.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Blackdog wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:35 pm
Devarika Woulf wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:01 pm Thanks. I'll be keeping my blue MkII but if they don't expand the 40mm options I may give the red 38mm a try in the future! :wave:
Yes, it looks like the 40mm woild really be a popular choice... but CW seem to be rather cautious with the model.

Frankly, keeping three sizes across the line looks like a pain.

Considering that they re-designed the 43mm down to 42mm, wouldn't have it been a better idea to re-design the 38mm up to 39mm and be done with just two models ?

Too late for that now...
According to the front page of the CW site the 40mm black C60 is one of the best selling CW watches and is the best selling size of the black/black C60s. I'm sure they'll wait further until making a decision about increasing the use of the 40mm but wonder how long.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

Rice & Gravy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 pm Concerning the 2mm difference in cases. It's not just the 2mm diameter difference between 42 and 40, it's also slightly thinner, 12 grams lighter, 2mm less between the lugs, as well as 2mm shorter lug to lug. In the pictures I've seen all of those things add up to a visually smaller watch for sure, and less hefty on the wrist too day to day I'd imagine. And that makes a big difference to those with less 7" wrists.
But it is not as simple as just adding 40mm to the range, the question is will it increase overall sales or just switch people who would have bought 42 or 38?

If one's wrists are smaller, then surely the 38 will make an even better fit, after all similar dimension reductions apply again. But WDIK, the size of a watch has never bothered me, either I like it or I don't so long as I can read it of course!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Shopping carts can easily be configured to show any product as 'featured' or 'on offer' or 'best selling', so I would personally ignore that. If anything I would say models that appear in that section, are the ones they have a glut of and want to shift.

Wrist shots on here, social media and listings on ebay will show whether they are popular, and also if they offer more models with the 40mm case.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

what-time-is-it wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:52 am Shopping carts can easily be configured to show any product as 'featured' or 'on offer' or 'best selling', so I would personally ignore that. If anything I would say models that appear in that section, are the ones they have a glut of and want to shift.

Wrist shots on here, social media and listings on ebay will show whether they are popular, and also if they offer more models with the 40mm case.
Yep, one should always approach the www with scepticism, cynicism even. :thumbup:
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

what-time-is-it wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:52 am Shopping carts can easily be configured to show any product as 'featured' or 'on offer' or 'best selling', so I would personally ignore that. If anything I would say models that appear in that section, are the ones they have a glut of and want to shift.

The potential for shopping cart manipulation is not my area of expertise so I'll bow to what you say.

Maybe I'm just too naive. At this stage would CW consider that they have a glut of the Trident Elite, 40mm Trident MkIII, Blue C60 GMT, C65 Pepsi and C65 blue Auto already for them to advertise them as being the best sellers?
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:36 pm

The potential for shopping cart manipulation is not my area of expertise so I'll bow to what you say.

Maybe I'm just too naive. At this stage would CW consider that they have a glut of the Trident Elite, 40mm Trident MkIII, Blue C60 GMT, C65 Pepsi and C65 blue Auto already for them to advertise them as being the best sellers?
I think it's a case don't take everything literally - that section of the website rarely changes, so I don't believe the list updates dynamically (automatically based on total sales). I think I'm right in saying they've previously shown the 595 gold as a top seller, but you rarely see one in the wild...

Top Sellers to me = Watches we want to sell or promote.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert

Post by Rice and Gravy »

H0rati0 wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:48 am
Rice & Gravy wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 10:12 pm Concerning the 2mm difference in cases. It's not just the 2mm diameter difference between 42 and 40, it's also slightly thinner, 12 grams lighter, 2mm less between the lugs, as well as 2mm shorter lug to lug. In the pictures I've seen all of those things add up to a visually smaller watch for sure, and less hefty on the wrist too day to day I'd imagine. And that makes a big difference to those with less 7" wrists.
But it is not as simple as just adding 40mm to the range, the question is will it increase overall sales or just switch people who would have bought 42 or 38?

If one's wrists are smaller, then surely the 38 will make an even better fit, after all similar dimension reductions apply again. But WDIK, the size of a watch has never bothered me, either I like it or I don't so long as I can read it of course!
Right, that is the hard call on adding to the 40mm range and I don't know how they could figure that out or project it other than the approach they've taken with just offering the one color for now. I do know that I have seen many, many comments online asking about other colors in 40mm, so that should bode well.

My wrist is 6.75" and I've owned three 38mm Trident Pros now. While I like comfort of them, and they are fantastic as knock-around/travel/do anything watch, they do feel and look somewhat small to me. The 38mmX13mmX45mm lug to lug proportions are very "stumpy" and look quite odd on anything other than the bracelet, at least to me. The lug to lug length being the biggest culprit. Changing from my other 40/41mm watches to the Trident always takes some getting used to, so I'd welcome more options in the 40mm size for sure.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
andreasharford

Post by andreasharford »

Blackdog wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:30 pm
andreasharford wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:44 pm That red bezel does look amazing. I'm not so sure about the hour hand though, it looks a bit stubby. I'm planning a trip to the showroom too see it in person - hopefully that will change my mind!
We'll, even if you don't love the hands at first, provided that you don't completely hate them, there's still a lot more to love in the new design.

It's a different watch almost !
That's just the thing, I love everything about the redesign but I still don't know about the hour hand. Removal of the wave pattern is also meh but it's far from a deal breaker at this price :D
Blackdog
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Blackdog »

strapline wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:32 pm Have you had any chance to check out the performance of the new and improved lume? And what about the omission of the lume pip, do you feel the bezel suffers for that?
I find the lume to be better than the MK2's. You can read the time all night long. But this is far from Seiko lume, mind you !

The lumed area of the indexes is a bit larger, but the older hands had more lume real state.

The lumed bezel is a nice detail, but doesn't add much in practical terms. I have a Helson Sharkmaster with lumed bezel, and it's on a different level. I beiieve they use C3 SL.
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

andreasharford wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:48 pm That's just the thing, I love everything about the redesign but I still don't know about the hour hand. Removal of the wave pattern is also meh but it's far from a deal breaker at this price :D
I don't miss the waves on the dial as much as I thought I would. The new dial is not really glossy, it's more like satin finished. The readability is very good.

The hands are very nicely detailed with the sandblasted and polished surfaces, They do a good job in catching the light at different angles. Same thing with the indexes.

I'm coming to terms with the new handset, but can't help but thinking that the arrow could have been a bit wider...
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

A tale of two GMTs.....

strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Blackdog wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:30 pm A tale of two GMTs.....

Personally I prefer the look of the CW. The claret coloured bezel looks fantastic. I think I prefer the GMT hand. I really like the light-catcher lines on the CW lugs and, to finish, I've never really been a fan of the cyclops on a Rolex. Oh...I like the slabby looking bracelet on the CW, too. I know this amounts to slander in the watch world, but I think it's a better looking piece.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
Blackdog
Senior
Senior

Post by Blackdog »

strapline wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:23 pm I know this amounts to slander in the watch world, but I think it's a better looking piece.
Slander ? That's more like Blasphemy !! :shock:
:lol: