The Tudor Black Bay 41 Slayer

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JenningsPC

The Tudor Black Bay 41 Slayer

Post by JenningsPC »

So I just finished reading the C65 Trident Automatic write up in Loupe and my ultimate conclusion is the new C65 Trident Automatic is a Tudor Black Bay 41 killer. I realize that the Tudor BB 41 is a dress watch within the Black Bay product line and that the DNA of the C65 retains the genes of a sports watch but priced over three times less than Tudor, the C.W. C65 Trident certainly has the chops to be equally dressed up positioning itself as an outstanding value.

I believe the new C65 Trident Automatic will be a huge success.
Peacefrog
Senior
Senior

Re: The Tudor Black Bay 41 Slayer

Post by Peacefrog »

JenningsPC wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:43 pm I realize that the Tudor BB 41 is a dress watch...
Whilst the BB 41 does wear well with shirt sleeves and a suit, it is equally at home in a more rugged environment.
I wear my BB 41 on a daily basis. This includes wearing whilst walking in the hills and swimming in the sea. The BB 41 is a watch which suits all occasions.

As somebody who has previously owned several Christopher Ward Tridents, which were okay, the extra cost for the BB 41 is well worth it.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Sure the C65 Trident Auto is a nice watch but there are some aspects of it that have and will prevent me from buying 1. On the BB41 I'd buy a blue dial if it didn't have that snowflake hour hand, despite the greater price.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I'm assuming that this is a personal view that the C65 leaves the BB dead in the water for you?

It's a great watch and I would take it any day, but I don't think it will cause too much insomnia to the board of a global concern like Tudor.

There's probably room for a little co-existential harmony in most WIS collections. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I don't get it, totally different style of watches to me. I can't honestly see anyone wanting a non bezel watch like the BB41 looking at a rotating bezel dive style watch.
stefs
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by stefs »

TigerChris wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:07 pm I don't get it, totally different style of watches to me. I can't honestly see anyone wanting a non bezel watch like the BB41 looking at a rotating bezel dive style watch.
My thoughts entirely. They are so different it is a really strange choice for comparison. (no offence op)
Cheers now, Paul
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

I agree in that I would choose the C65 over the BB41 any day of the week (black bay proportions are horrible for me, bezel too thin, slab side too thick, polished sides scratch magnet) but think they hit different markets. Definitely a different feel between the two.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

I thought the thread title was in respect of yet another BB variant hitting the shelves. Pity really, as it's a great name for a watch! :D
'Tis me
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

There is co-existential harmony in my watch box for both CW and Tudor. :)

Although the CWs probably feel a bit down in the dumps, as they receive minimal wrist time compared with the Tudors. :shock:

That said, I am not sure why a medium/large sized example of the fixed bezel modern sports watch genre is being compared with a medium sized example of a retro dive watch. :silent:

The initial post did make me smile as it brought to mind the marketing copy below.
4EFA9525-FC45-4356-B51B-6B285388711A.jpeg
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Caller wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:39 pm I thought the thread title was in respect of yet another BB variant hitting the shelves. Pity really, as it's a great name for a watch! :D
Haha, I thought the same!
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia

nbg wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:24 pm Although the CWs probably feel a bit down in the dumps, as they receive minimal wrist time compared with the Tudors. :shock:
Horological anthropomorphism, Neil? Dangerous trait, means you're getting fond of them.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
JenningsPC

Post by JenningsPC »

I tried on the BB41 last week when I picked up my new Tudor BB GMT. It’s a very nice watch and worthy of consideration for any collection, especially including my very modest assortment of watches.

I only became interested in the hobby of watch collecting in the past year and I have been careful to consider how to spend my allotted money on a watch. For me I’d love to own a BB 41 but it’s not that high on my priority list. The watch has an incredible range of purpose from business suit transitioning with ease to a bathing suit. So for me a watch that has thin rotating bezel for under $800.00 with similar form and function is hard not give a lot of thought to before spending $3000.00 on the BB 41 especially if there’s an expensive purchase on the horizon.

Perhaps in my excitement of the C65 redesign and aggressive price point my enthusiasm got the best of me. So yes I’d buy the new C65 over the BB 41 and save $2200.00 for the Explorer I really want. If money was not a factor the decision is easy, I would probably buy the BB 41.

Hopefully this sheds a little insight to my thought process so please forgive the hyperbole.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

^^^^^ No need to apologise. We like the occasional dose of hyperbole! :thumbup:

Hope you are enjoying the Tudor BB GMT.

Explorer 1 - now that is absolutely an all rounder and one of my favourite watches. The classic watch, suitable for beach to boardroom, via a mountain hike and nice restaurant. :)
4571E8D4-5745-4F14-B435-27F8315B4B95.jpeg
Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Amor Vincit Omnia

nbg wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:53 pm
Explorer 1 - now that is absolutely an all rounder and one of my favourite watches. The classic watch, suitable for beach to boardroom, via a mountain hike and nice restaurant. :)
Neil
Please stop posting photographs like that, Neil. I had almost convinced myself I didn't want one. :lol:
Steve

JenningsPC

Post by JenningsPC »

Thank you nbg, I have enjoyed the B.B.GMT very much.
Attachments
A0176BC3-F42E-4F7B-A73D-4A3A054B881C.jpeg