Diver shortlist and some convincing needed

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Diver shortlist and some convincing needed

Post by TigerChris » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:44 pm

That price range is a really tough one in the diver segment, so I understand you will have loads of options but not know what to do for the best. I think, firstly, you have to ask where its going to fit into your collection - ie; dress diver style, rugged/tool diver style etc... The Trident is definitely more towards the dressier side of things, where as your Seiko's are more 'Tooly'. Plus, is it going to be your only diver or is it part of a collection of divers? Do you prefer bracelets, leather, rubber or Nato's? They may sound like daft questions, but they will help to narrow it down. Examples - Oris Aquis, integrated so not many options for strap changes. Trident - Quick adjust bracelet is so convenient, plus looks good on virtually any strap. The quality of the Trident is very difficult to beat for the money, though, and you won't see much better without stepping up a price bracket, unless you can find a good discount on something like an Aquis or Alpina Seastrong. You have to put it onto your shortlist in my opinion.

Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Post by Deployant Dave » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Lots of choice. Thanks again.

Geckota G-01 is offering good value.

0uatiOW
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:14 pm

Definitely add the Trident to your list. The MK2 is fantastic at 42mm and 38mm. The MK3, not yet released, adds a 40mm model, but what few pictures have surfaced seem to have largely created a “wait & see” vibe. Not long to wait.

MK2s turn up regularly on eBay and our own Sales Corner, though you’ll need a few more posts before you can look there. You won’t need to wait long to see a decent model in the used listings.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 29
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:22 pm

0uatiOW wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:14 pm
.. . . . .

MK2s turn up regularly on eBay and our own Sales Corner, though you’ll need a few more posts before you can look there. You won’t need to wait long to see a decent model in the used listings.
Only 5 posts to view the Sales Corner.

Deployant Dave will have been looking there already, I would imagine. :lol:

50 posts to be able to sell.

Guy
C2 FLE |C3 Chrono |C4 |C5A MkI |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkII Harrier |C7 Chrono
C8 MkI |C8 Reg'tor MkII LE |C8 PR&M2.04LE |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC |C11 Mak Ext
C60 x5 |C60 SH21 x2 | C60 Chrono 300&P'type |C65 Diver Khaki & P'type |C600 |C1000 |W7 BBMF

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:04 pm

Deployant Dave wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 pm
Lots of choice. Thanks again.

Geckota G-01 is offering good value.
I can't vouch for that particular watch, but I can vouch for the quality of the Geckota watches, I have a C-01 Chronograph which feels much more than a £300 watch. I'm also still tempted by the G-02 diver on BoR bracelet.

magicman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by magicman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:52 pm

Deployant Dave wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:56 am
All. I'm after a dive watch and have just shy of £750 available to fund this purchase. My shortlist is numerous models from the following:

Tissot
Certina
Roamer
Seiko
Timefactors
Steinhart

Can anyone convince and tempt me to adding a Trident to this list please? Or even another brand not listed?

Thanks
Definitely consider a Trident, i have red bezel/black face and it is superior to the Tissot/Roamer and Steinhart I've owned.
I do have a seiko 5, but thats in a lower range, so can't compare.
I would also add Glycine Combat 6 to your list.

Regards Steve

Bounce
Expert
Expert
CW-watches: 1

Post by Bounce » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi Dave, I have a number of Dive watches as they are my type of watch & they range from Seiko to Rolex, but I can assure you that the Trident is a solid well made watch that I would actually put on par with my Tag Aquaracer 500m which cost quite a bit more.

The fact that you get 60 days to assess it & 5 years warranty is really a no brainer. I have owned a Tissot diver & I think the Trident is better.

I have a slight winding issue with mine at the moment, but it is being rectified under the warranty with no problems at all.

Good luck with whatever you decide & don't be put off by people who know nothing about the brand.
Rolex Submariner date.
Omega Speedmaster Professional.
Tudor Pepsi GMT.
Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500m Auto
Seiko Kinetic Diver
C60 Trident Vintage.

TPS10
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 7

Post by TPS10 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:56 pm

I can only add to what others have said and absolutely yes you should add the Trident to your list and it should go right to the top of the list. The quality and value are outstanding. I only own Christopher Ward and a Steinhart watch and whilst I love the Steinhart, the CW quality is a step up.
Wait for the MKIII to see what that offers, but worst case you can pick up a bargain MKII.

Good luck, but you won’t regret a CW and really with the 60/60 you have nothing to lose.

0uatiOW
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:58 pm

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:22 pm
0uatiOW wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:14 pm
.. . . . .

Only 5 posts to view the Sales Corner.
I stand corrected. It used to be more, but I agree no harm opening up SC to buyers a little earlier.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:36 pm

Deployant Dave wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:56 am
All. I'm after a dive watch and have just shy of £750 available to fund this purchase. My shortlist is numerous models from the following:

Tissot
Certina
Roamer
Seiko
Timefactors
Steinhart

Can anyone convince and tempt me to adding a Trident to this list please? Or even another brand not listed?

Thanks
What made you include the above brands into your shortlist - did somebody convince or tempt you with those ? If it was just yourself that chose to include them then what was your criteria for them to make the list?

I'll confirm what others have told you already - the Trident model particularly in the MkII version with the ceramic bezel is a cracking watch. I've had my 38mm black/black since early 2015 and it's still working and looking as good as it did on day1.

If you can get to the Showroom to check 1 over then do so but if not just buy 1 of what you like the look of and as long as you don't wear it then you can get a full refund if you don't like it.

Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Post by Deployant Dave » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:45 pm

I am familiar with the above brands and have owned a few models from these companies. Seems the watch world is saturated by dive watches.

CW seem to be an interesting brand in that they appear to sell alot and clearly have a loyal following but on the whole not many have heard of them.

I'd like to buy a Trident but 43mm is a bit on the large size for me for a dive watch. And reading some threads on bad experiences with QC and customer service isn't filling me with much confidence to be honest.

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:19 pm

Deployant Dave wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:45 pm
I am familiar with the above brands and have owned a few models from these companies. Seems the watch world is saturated by dive watches.

CW seem to be an interesting brand in that they appear to sell alot and clearly have a loyal following but on the whole not many have heard of them.

I'd like to buy a Trident but 43mm is a bit on the large size for me for a dive watch. And reading some threads on bad experiences with QC and customer service isn't filling me with much confidence to be honest.
If my quick adding up is correct, the people on here that have told you to shortlist it so far currently have over 70 CW watches between them. Most of us don’t have rose tinted CW specs either and are just as critical sometimes as we are praiseworthy. If the owners of 70 odd watches in one thread saying that you should at least shortlist it isn’t enough to convince you to at least look at one then I don’t honestly know what will to be fair. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I’m only saying it how I see it. Maybe if you are close enough, location wise, to someone on here they may be kind enough to let you have a look at theirs for yourself if you don’t fancy using the 60/60? Unless, of course, you are close to Maidenhead then you could book a visit to look at a few there. I’ve bought 7 CW’s, one for my Dad, 2 for my Brother and 4 for me. I’ve only had to send one back and that was my fault (I dropped it onto a concrete floor!), but it still got repaired under warranty for free.

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:44 pm

Deployant Dave wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:45 pm

So size is 1 of your choice criteria - If 43mm is too big for you then the only other present Trident option is the 38mm. If you consider that too small for a diver watch (I don't think it is) then you'll need to wait for the MkIII due out in May that will have 38mm, 40mm and 42mm versions apparently.

You will only know for sure by getting the 43mm or 38mm Trident or any of the MkIII sizes on your wrist either from a visit to the Showroom or buy and return using the 60/60. There are more good QC and CS stories than bad, TigerChris's for example.

what-time-is-it
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:56 pm

Buy a Trident when they are on sale, if you don't like it, return it or sell it. Case closed.
Current collection incl Alpina, Citizen, Oris, Rolex, Seiko, Tag & Tudor.

Chris

Deployant Dave
Junior
Junior

Post by Deployant Dave » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:09 am

what-time-is-it wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:56 pm
Buy a Trident when they are on sale, if you don't like it, return it or sell it. Case closed.
How and when is that likely to be? What sort of discount is normally offered? Am I right in thinking that most don't buy at full RRP then?