25-Day Journey

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Post Reply
TP Fit
Junior
Junior
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:03 pm
CW-watches: 1

25-Day Journey

Post by TP Fit » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:03 pm

Thought this post might interest those that have their eye on the new C65 Trident Automatic. The review below, from Fratello Magazine, follows the reviewer on his travels for 25 days with the C65 Trident Automatic. It's a watch i will personally get but waiting for the new iteration of the C60 Trident to make a final decision on which one I get first. The review includes numerous pictures of the watch that really shows all the characteristics of the watch. Enjo....

https://www.fratellowatches.com/christo ... 5-trident/

TP Fit

User avatar
richtel
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:10 pm
CW-watches: 8
Location: Cotswolds

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by richtel » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks for sharing that review. I had to double check- the review states that the C65 auto has a push-pull crown and I could have sworn it was screw-down. After checking with the CW sales page, sure enough it's push pull.... Just when you thought you knew all about a manufacturer's range it appears I don't!
Rich

albionphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:07 pm
CW-watches: 5
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by albionphoto » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:26 pm

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: I enjoyed the review. Now I'm waiting for the inevitable... Beer and popcorn in hand :D :D :wave:
Mark
Muehle Glashutte, Omega, Oris and Christopher Ward.

Essex Paul
Forumgod
Forumgod
Posts: 815
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:07 pm
CW-watches: 1

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by Essex Paul » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:30 pm

A good review.
Personally I wouldn’t go swimming or holiday in a very humid environment with a leather strap.
I would wear it on the bracelet.
Enjoyed the read thanks. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve

User avatar
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 7601
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:45 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Edinburgh

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by Thegreyman » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:47 am

Thanks for posting the link to the review.

Overall it was fairly positive, his main two gripes were the logo placement which he concluded would put him off the watch and secondly, the condition of the vintage oak leather strap particularly after swimming.

I must take issue with that second point. Unless the strap is stated to be waterproof (which I don't believe these are) then you would have to be completely stupid to swim in it and expect it not to deteriorate....or is that just me :ka:
Patrick

C11 Makaira Pro, C60 FLE Scooter Blue, W11(wife)

Some others + a few on the way

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2007
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:20 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: Berks

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by Mikkei4 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:35 pm

A decently written review but I don’t think it comes out as particularly positive for the watch.

He deals with the name logo position at 9 quite well I think, stating his initial standing as a negative (reflecting my own view) but willing to see how he feels after 25 days. At the end though he feels the same about it and overall that again reflects how I would feel – I just can’t get past the 9 o’clock position.

Similarly for the shade of blue used.

His conclusion that it’s a “very adequate” watch at the price level wouldn’t encourage me to buy it. “Adequate” is not a positive word to me and I’m still trying to work out if “very” stuck in front of it makes it better or worse.

The C65 range is IMO a huge step forward for CW in design and looks and hopefully in quality also. I like the size, how it looks and feels on the wrist and (lack of) thickness but a C65 that I would go out and buy isn’t in the range – I remain hopeful though for the near future before I allocate my budget to something else.

User avatar
jkbarnes
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 8:39 pm
CW-watches: 1

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by jkbarnes » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:45 pm

The specifics of his review aside, I didn’t find that to be a particularly well written piece. It’s in need of some serious editing.

User avatar
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 7577
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:43 pm
CW-watches: 10
Location: UK

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by nbg » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:34 pm

A few errors in the article, however that said I agree with the conclusion.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK

User avatar
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1731
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:44 pm
CW-watches: 1
Location: Hua Hin, Thailand

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by Caller » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:50 pm

jkbarnes wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:45 pm
The specifics of his review aside, I didn’t find that to be a particularly well written piece. It’s in need of some serious editing.
I admire the fact he can write so well in what is his 2nd language. I think it add's a nice quirkiness to such articles. Just a personal view (it's quite common over here).

So he likes the way the watch performed, but is not so keen on the aesthetics and hates the logo. Shouldn't bother CW too much, he's not in the age range they now claim to be targeting. Maybe all the oldies should stop buying CW and then they would be happy?

The strap comment seems bizarre to me.

I wonder if CW feel they got their monies worth?
'Tis me

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2007
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:20 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: Berks

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by Mikkei4 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:15 pm

Caller wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:50 pm
jkbarnes wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:45 pm
The specifics of his review aside, I didn’t find that to be a particularly well written piece. It’s in need of some serious editing.
I admire the fact he can write so well in what is his 2nd language. I think it add's a nice quirkiness to such articles. Just a personal view (it's quite common over here).

So he likes the way the watch performed, but is not so keen on the aesthetics and hates the logo. Shouldn't bother CW too much, he's not in the age range they now claim to be targeting. Maybe all the oldies should stop buying CW and then they would be happy?

The strap comment seems bizarre to me.

I wonder if CW feel they got their monies worth?
Could anybody tell me why it's thought that it's only "oldies" that don't buy the CW watches with the new layout? Bit of a derogatory age-ist comment IMO.
Why is design applicable to age? It's not my age that prevents me from liking the layout and therefore not buying CW watches.
I would imagine that anybody of any age that doesn't like the present layout have already stopped buying CW watches but not necessarily be happy about doing so. I'd would love to be in a quandary about which of several CW watches I would want to buy.

User avatar
jkbarnes
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed May 24, 2017 8:39 pm
CW-watches: 1

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by jkbarnes » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:04 pm

Caller wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:50 pm
I admire the fact he can write so well in what is his 2nd language. I think it add's a nice quirkiness to such articles. Just a personal view (it's quite common over here).
I didn’t realize it was his second language! I actually thought to myself that it reads like someone who isn’t a native speaker. Now I know why.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

User avatar
hsukirk
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:22 pm
CW-watches: 0

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by hsukirk » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:42 pm

Good to see reviewers spent 25 days to live with the watch. There are far too many just took what's already there either from manufacturers or internet to voice their opinions.

User avatar
Amor Vincit Omnia
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 19709
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:34 pm
CW-watches: 8
LE-six: Yes
Location: Norfolk, UK

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:45 pm

This could be my second career when I retire! :D

Anyone like to pay me loads of money to travel around the world wearing nice watches and writing about them?
Steve
The half minute which we daily devote to the winding-up of our watches is an exertion of labour almost insensible; yet, by the aid of a few wheels, its effect is spread over the whole twenty-four hours.
Charles Babbage


@Avo238

User avatar
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 1023
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:31 am
CW-watches: 1

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by EddieTheBeast » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:24 pm

I've just read this review as this watch is on my 'possibly buy' list! I think it's an excellent review and agree with the negatives: The logo at 9 is very off-putting, but I have a C60 that also suffers the same problem - and decided I still liked the watch enough to keep it (but only just!!)! A leather strap could be put on this diver watch that is waterproof, as this would allow it to be kept on for swimming etc. Also I agree that the 22mm lug width is too big for this 41mm retro style watch! 20mm would be perfect!

On the positive side the watch looks great in the photos and I love the blue dial and bezel, the reviewed watch had very good accuracy and I definitely think CW have the sizes spot on (apart from the lug width)! Let's hope that CW listen to this reviewer that they gave the watch to! If the watch could have one of the old logos at 12, 20mm lug width and a 20mm waterproof leather strap or such, I think it would be hard for me to resist!!
Dean

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2007
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:20 pm
CW-watches: 0
Location: Berks

Re: 25-Day Journey

Post by Mikkei4 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:04 pm

EddieTheBeast wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:24 pm
I've just read this review as this watch is on my 'possibly buy' list! I think it's an excellent review and agree with the negatives: The logo at 9 is very off-putting, but I have a C60 that also suffers the same problem - and decided I still liked the watch enough to keep it (but only just!!)! A leather strap could be put on this diver watch that is waterproof, as this would allow it to be kept on for swimming etc. Also I agree that the 22mm lug width is too big for this 41mm retro style watch! 20mm would be perfect!

On the positive side the watch looks great in the photos and I love the blue dial and bezel, the reviewed watch had very good accuracy and I definitely think CW have the sizes spot on (apart from the lug width)! Let's hope that CW listen to this reviewer that they gave the watch to! If the watch could have one of the old logos at 12, 20mm lug width and a 20mm waterproof leather strap or such, I think it would be hard for me to resist!!
Strange/Weird/Ironic that CW should go to the effort of making a "retro" style watch with "vintage" colour marker and hands and then use a very modern font, justification and location for the name logo.
The old logo is never going to be used but just swap the double flag and name positions please so I can buy and keep 1 of the C65 range.

Post Reply