Losing time

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
watchaholic
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Losing time

Post by watchaholic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:22 am

Quick question, can being magnetized cause a watch to run slow? I was always under the impression that magnitizium caused the coils in the balance spring to attract and rub, causing the amplitude to shorten, thus speeding up the watch. I have a demagnetizer and this has been the fix on other watches in the past. Over the last 2-3 days, the SH21 in my C8 has started losing approximately 5 sec over 24 hrs, which might not be sooo bad, but it has never done this since new. In fact if I ever let it run down into the 1 day range and it lost a sec or 2, all I had to do was wind it to 4.5 days and it would, over 24 hrs gain that second back. Very easy to regulate. If kept between 2 and 3.5 days it was always spot on. Don't know what would cause this sudden change. Has not been dropped. Just wound it all the way up to 5. I will check again over the next 24. Wound this tight it should gain.
C Ward-C8 Power Reserve
C Ward-C 60 Trident ACAN COSC
Oris-F1 Williams
Rolex-Datejust 41 126300 (white)
Raymond Weil-Freelancer (open balance)
Hamilton-Hayden
Vintage JLC
Hamilton Sectometer
Hamilton 4992B
Citizen-Chandler

Jcalder68
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Re: Losing time

Post by Jcalder68 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:41 am

It does seem odd behaviour, have you tried to de-magnetise it this time around?

My (limited) inderstanding is that a sudden change in timekeeping accuracy (gain or loss) is caused by a sudden “trauma” to the mechanism - magnet, drop/impact or water ingress. On the other hand, a slow change of timekeeping is down to slow wear of parts, slow thickening of the oil etc... like you, I have only heard of magnetism causing a sudden gain in timekeeping, normally 30sec a day or more. I therefore doubt your change to +5sec could be magnetism, but the sudden change is curious.

Any change that water has got it? Any exposure to exceptionally high/low temperatures that might have affected it?

C
CW Watches (To Date): C60 Pro 300, C60 Pro 600 Vintage, C65 GMT, C65 Diver Auto
Others (To Date): Sinn 104, Seiko SNA411, G-Shock

watchaholic
Junior
Junior

Post by watchaholic » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:50 pm

Thanks for the response. I am in complete agreement with everything you said. Can't think of anything out of the ordinary as far as temperatures, shock, or water. Watch is only 2 years old in Feb, part of a 4 watch rotation, and regularly sits for a week at a time, then worn 3-4 days, so we will rule out service issues. Have not tried the demagnetizer yet, although this watch did start running fast, about 5 months ago, and responded perfectly to the demag. I am not aware of the possibility of harming the piece by using the demag if not necessary, so I will try if all else fails. May try to regulate myself. Been looking for a reason to buy that Lepsi Scope timer. Do you know anything about these? I will update as I learn more.
C Ward-C8 Power Reserve
Oris-F1 Williams
Hamilton-Hayden
Vintage JLC
Hamilton Sectometer
Hamilton 4992B
Citizen-Chandler

H0rati0
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by H0rati0 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Just as a rule of thumb and all things being equal (really!) a watch will typically run faster as it runs down and slower when fully wound, but isochronism is a complex subject.....
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)

watchaholic
Junior
Junior

Post by watchaholic » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:46 pm

20190311_133716.jpg
Check out that wall plug
I do have a pretty decent fluid filled boating compass that showed a slight deflection when the watch was presented, however nothing like previously when the watch took off running fast. Just ran it through the demag and reset so we will see over the next 24 hrs. Picked up this sweet demag on ebay a few months ago for $25. Used it on my Oris and C8 so far. Worked fine. Just a little disappointed I needed it at all.
Attachments
20190311_133725.jpg
Love NOS
C Ward-C8 Power Reserve
Oris-F1 Williams
Hamilton-Hayden
Vintage JLC
Hamilton Sectometer
Hamilton 4992B
Citizen-Chandler

Bident
Senior
Senior

Post by Bident » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:57 am

watchaholic wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:50 pm
Thanks for the response. I am in complete agreement with everything you said. Can't think of anything out of the ordinary as far as temperatures, shock, or water. Watch is only 2 years old in Feb, part of a 4 watch rotation, and regularly sits for a week at a time, then worn 3-4 days, so we will rule out service issues. Have not tried the demagnetizer yet, although this watch did start running fast, about 5 months ago, and responded perfectly to the demag. I am not aware of the possibility of harming the piece by using the demag if not necessary, so I will try if all else fails. May try to regulate myself. Been looking for a reason to buy that Lepsi Scope timer. Do you know anything about these? I will update as I learn more.
I mentioned this before in an older post, so if others are re-reading this, please bear with me. My C65 Trident Diver was magnetized, presumably from X-Rays in customs which I read is not uncommon. I researched the issue and found the following on the JLC website: https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/en/ ... etism.html

According to JLC, magnestism can slow down timekeeping as well as speed it up, and in fact, can even stop a watch, which is what occurred with my C65. I downloaded the Lepsi app on my iPhone and bought a compass, both confirming the magnetism. I bought a demagnetizer from Amazon (the really expensive one because the cheapo $10 one was dead on arrival and sent back) and I haven't had any problems since. I hope you have the same result.
Best regards,
John

Bident
Senior
Senior

Post by Bident » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:59 am

Also, I've read whenever you demagnetize, your watch shouldn't be running. I've never really understood if that meant let it depower from not winding or just pull the crown out to hack, but I've done the latter and everything seems okay.
Best regards,
John

watchaholic
Junior
Junior

Post by watchaholic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:00 am

Bident wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:59 am
Also, I've read whenever you demagnetize, your watch shouldn't be running. I've never really understood if that meant let it depower from not winding or just pull the crown out to hack, but I've done the latter and everything seems okay.
I have never heard that before, guessing it wouldn't hurt to have it stopped. I did not the first time, didn't seem to hurt any thing. But I probably will in
the future. I did read the article on the JLC website. Interesting note on the bottom of my demagnetizer concerning the hair spring. If I had a timer, I would know for sure by now. I did check at the 12 hr mark, and with 3.5 days on the meter it was spot on. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks
C Ward-C8 Power Reserve
Oris-F1 Williams
Hamilton-Hayden
Vintage JLC
Hamilton Sectometer
Hamilton 4992B
Citizen-Chandler