Today's Showroom Visit

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Today's Showroom Visit

Post by Mikkei4 »

As told in 1 of the C65 Auto threads I was at the Showroom this morning and have attached some photos taken. I'll apologise straight away for the quality as they're only from my iPhone and the lighting in the Showroom isn't perfect for good shots or reproduction of colour.

It was the C65 range that I wanted to have a good look at as I've not been to the Showroom since before the handwound was released. Also I wanted to see if I could get passed the 9o'clock logo.

To summarise my thoughts, in no particular order.
The C65 is a very nice model overall - the case is a great design with stepped or graduated sides rather than a block slab side as seen on some early CWs or to some extent the current C60 Trident. The indented flags at 12 are not obvious, I had to view the watch dial at various angles to see these.

I was surprised by the weight especially on a strap as it feels lighter than I expected but it still feels solid. On a bracelet it felt a little lighter than the Moonwatch, but that was only my judgement by doing a left hand/right hand feel comparison. Not very scientific !

Initially it felt smaller overall than my expectations of a 41mm case but it did sit true to it's size between the 42mm Moonwatch and a 38mm C60 Trident I took along.

It sits well on the wrist and will fit well under a formal shirt and suit if needed.

The bracelet is very comfortable and would be my first choice if buying.

The shade of blue used on the handwound, Auto and yes the blue GMT is not dark - it's closest to a shade of Teal (remember the MGB colour?) so a relatively light to mid blue shade. It is significantly less Blue than that used on the current blue C60 600 Trident.

I preferred the layout of the Auto to the handwound - on the Auto the bezel is clearer, less cluttered looking. I'm not always a fan of blobs used as hour markers but those used here seem to "lift" the dial. The larger surface area of the blobs probably focuses the eyes more.

I preferred the black to the blue - I'd like to see the blue with white hands and markers instead of the vintage colour as I think the shade of blue needs brighter looking hands and markers.

I preferred the painted bezel to the steel bezel of the GMT. At some angles it's difficult to see the numbers on the bezel on the steel GMT. Also the steel bezel makes the dial look smaller.

The GMT hand arrow doesn't look too big on the dial. This surprised me as from the website photos I thought the arrowhead was way too large - not so. The blue dial GMT has the same orange GMT hand.

The Pepsi version of the GMT is going to sell like hot-cakes ! It's stunning IMO and I don't normally like any blue/red split colour bezel. This looks great on bracelet but should also look great on a black strap. The GMT hand is red which complements the red on the bezel. Also the markers, hands and name at 9o'clock are white so it looks brighter, maybe a bit more modern compared to the Auto & handwound that have the vintage colour markers and hands. SADLY no photos of this Pepsi as CW haven't released any of their own and it was the prototype I saw but it'll be released in March so not long to wait. It was shown at the Edinburgh GTG I believe and there have been some pre-orders already to grab some appropriate serial numbers.

The Trident MkIII will be released in May (but that's not new News). Unfortunately no examples to be seen today but there should be some at the Manchester GTG. I'm told that the case is similar to that of the C65 so more "refined" than the existing C60 Trident case, the lume is much brighter and the bezel numbers are also lumed. There should be black and blue colours initially and there will be a GMT version also but maybe just in black initially.

The C7 Motorsport will be demised (again not new News). The case is expensive to make for a lower volume design and overall the numerous different types of case will be rationalised so that about 3 types of case are used across the ranges.

I think that's about it except to consider if I can get passed the name at 9'clock. The Pepsi might question my resolve as I was really struck by this watch - at £960 on bracelet it's nearly £2000 less than the forthcoming Seiko GS quartz GMTs and it looks excellent. I will say that nobody should judge this CW Pepsi version if you think you don't like it from the forthcoming photos - it looks superb on the wrist. Personally I'll be waiting until the GS GMT, CW Pepsi GMT and Trident MkIII are all on release and Omega make their Moon Landing Anniversary plans known before I spend any money at all in 2019 as I'm not sure that the C65 blue is the shade I really want and still don't know for sure if I can get passed the name location.

While I looked at the watches Declan resolved the problem I had with the bracelet ordered in the January sale and he re-sized the replacement for me also. My 4 year old 38mm C60 Trident looks brand new now.

Photos........
The Box.jpg
Olive Handwound 2.jpg
GMT and Handwound.jpg
GMT and Handwound 2.jpg
GMT and Auto.jpg
Crown view.jpg
Crown view 2.jpg
Case lug and strap view.jpg
Blue and Black Auto in Box.jpg
Black Handwound.jpg
Black GMT.jpg
Black Auto.jpg
Black and Blue Auto.jpg
Attachments
Olive Handwound - don't use.jpg
Black Handwound 2 - don't use.jpg
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Today's Showroom Visit

Post by H0rati0 »

Many thanks for that rundown Mikkei.

Whilst the logo is not such an issue for me (though it is an issue) I have the same dilemmas. Much as I like the C65 Auto ( I did not know a blue GMT was coming - cool) I will wait to see the Trident 3 before deciding anything and I do think my first CW bracelet will have to be in there somewhere.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

That was a fantastic write-up with tons of good information and observations. So thank you.

And great photos!

You’ve thoroughly addressed my concerns with the shade of blue.
Drew
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

Great write-up Mikkei. I'm particularly interested in your comments about the new Pepsi GMT. I was thinking of purchasing another watch in the next week or two, but might have to hold off to see what the Pepsi looks like. I have been considering the new Auto C65 in black, but based on your images and others I've seen it doesn't seem different enough to the C65 Diver and C65 GMT I already own, so I'm not sure at this point.

Did they give you any idea of when in March the Pepsi will be released, beginning of March or later?
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

I really love how the canvas webbing strap presents in these pictures! The C65 auto looks great on it.
Drew
monkeymax
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by monkeymax »

Great write up! Was that your Ed White (The Speedy) or did they have that there already for comparison with the C65?
Quite interesting to see those two side by side, really!
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

What an insightful write up.

Thank you.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Malcolm,

Declan probably did tell me but there was so much said and viewed that I can't really remember for sure and I wouldn't want to advise you incorrectly - Sorry.

Whenever it is I would say hold on until you can see it - I think it's lovely and I wish I'd had been able to take a photo.

If anybody is thinking about buying 1 of the various C65 versions soon because they don't own 1 currently then I would say to them wait so you can add this Pepsi into your choices.

I liked the black Auto but my 2 most worn watches (the Moonwatch you see in the photos and my 38mm Trident) are black dialled so IMO it would be pointless me buying the black Auto. However I kept going back to putting the Pepsi on my wrist even though it has a black dial. It's different from the others due to the white hands and markers (slim batons BTW), the 2 colour bezel and the red GMT hand. But that's my opinion, it might not your's or other's when you see it. When do the £100 vouchers run out?

I want to see the new Trident and it's GMT derivative before I make a purchase because of the lumed bezel especially if it has a full GMT bezel, the possibility of the 40mm size and all with 600 WR. If I didn't know these were being released over the next few months then I'd probably buy the Pepsi.

Remember that none of these are Limited Editions so for me there's no need to rush into a decision and another voucher offer is bound to come along. But maybe your money is burning a hole in your pocket?

Cheers.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

monkeymax wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:15 pm Great write up! Was that your Ed White (The Speedy) or did they have that there already for comparison with the C65?
Quite interesting to see those two side by side, really!
That's my Speedy in the photos.
I wore it on purpose as at 42mm it's closest to the 41mm of the C65. Also the Speedy's stepped case and shaped lugs blending into the case was again in a similar style to the C65 lugs and case (or vice-versa really as the Speedy did it first!)
I thought many on the Forum own a Speedy or are very aware of it so it would be a good comparison to be able to judge C65 size and how it might fit on the wrist.

Thank you to you and others that have read and left kind comments. It was just a brain dump really of all my thoughts.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Malcolm,

I've just remembered that Jcalder68 posted in the C65 Auto thread that he is going to the Showroom next week - maybe he could get the answer about the Pepsi release date for you so you can decide what to do?

Mick
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Great write up...if/when I’m ready to purchase one of these I think I will have to take a visit to headquarters to see them in the flesh :thumbup:
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Nice write up there, cheers :thumbup:
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

That was indeed a great write up.

I've been thinking of a trip to CW towers for my Birthday in June. I too have been trying to get passed the 9 O'clock logo and the C65 Trident GMT is the only watch so far that has come close, I'm also really keen to see the pepsi as I'm hoping it will calm my desire for a Tudor Black Bay GMT!

However, in some ways I'm now a bit less attracted to it because, as you say and your pictures show, the twin flags at 12 are not as prominent as I hoped. It's not the logo placement itself that kills it, it's the imbalance of the acres of space at 12 and I'm not sure the twin flags do enough to fill it. So your write up and pictures have been very helpful, perhaps just not in the way I hoped! But i guess it has stopped me getting my hopes up!
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Macdaz wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 pm
I'm also really keen to see the pepsi as I'm hoping it will calm my desire for a Tudor Black Bay GMT!
Not wanting to be negative here but, speaking from experience, this rarely works. If you really want the Tudor, my advise would be to wait until you can get one/afford one. If not, every time you look at the alternative purchase you will wish it was the Tudor. Only my opinion, based on experience. I’m sure Downer probably has a ‘rule’ on it somewhere! :D
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

TigerChris wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:41 pm
Macdaz wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:34 pm
I'm also really keen to see the pepsi as I'm hoping it will calm my desire for a Tudor Black Bay GMT!
Not wanting to be negative here but, speaking from experience, this rarely works. If you really want the Tudor, my advise would be to wait until you can get one/afford one. If not, every time you look at the alternative purchase you will wish it was the Tudor. Only my opinion, based on experience. I’m sure Downer probably has a ‘rule’ on it somewhere! :D
I know the sentiment is right, but in a similar vein, I want to look like George Clooney, but no matter how long I wait, it isn't going to happen. I'm quite good at not letting my dreams spoil my enjoyment of reality. Luckily, so too is Mrs Macdaz! :D
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE