C60 Trident Mk3 - pictures..!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nordwulf

C60 Trident Mk3 - pictures..!

Post by nordwulf »

Some information and sketches of the upcoming C60 were shared in Loupe magazine:

The eagerly-awaited C60 Trident Mk3 is getting ever nearer, with many of the details signed off. So many, in fact, that senior designer Adrian Buchmann is willing to share some of them..

“This is an evolution, not a revolution,” says Adrian, “rather like when a new Porsche 911 comes out. It might be entirely new underneath, but it looks very similar at first glance – just better. This means a ten or 20 year old Porsche rarely looks outdated, and it’s the same with the new Trident.

We wanted to take everything that’s good about the current watch, then improve it. “As you can hopefully see from the design sketches above, the new watch has even more of the bold, masculine presence that the old one had, though it’s actually a bit sleeker. We worked hard to make sure that the case isn’t quite as high, for one thing, and it’s now 42mm across, rather than the 43mm of the Mk2. The overall effect is to make it seem both tightly focused and slightly more aggressive.

“We really worked on sharpening up the details too, making each element the best it can be. I’m particularly pleased with the more complex indices, which bring new life to the dial and make the watch feel more valuable, and the new Trident symbol on the reverse. It feels like a really serious piece of diving equipment now, more solid, robust and reliable.”

0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: C60 Trident Mk3

Post by 0uatiOW »

“more of the bold, masculine presence that the old one had”, blimey - that suggests it’s going to be pretty beefy, and not more like the C65 then.

He refers to 42mm, but didn’t they say in Edinburgh that they’ll be available in 38mm, 40mm & 42mm models?

Only a day to go before they start appearing. Holding my breath.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

0uatiOW wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:52 pm “more of the bold, masculine presence that the old one had”, blimey - that suggests it’s going to be pretty beefy, and not more like the C65 then.

He refers to 42mm, but didn’t they say in Edinburgh that they’ll be available in 38mm, 40mm & 42mm models?

From the sketches it looks like the bottom part of the case is more refined but the top half looks similar to the MKII in style.
You picked up on the same part of the quote I did i.e. the 42mm size and no mention of a 38mm or 40mm.

Looks like I'll be sticking with my MkII for the usual reason.
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

0uatiOW wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:52 pm “more of the bold, masculine presence that the old one had”, blimey - that suggests it’s going to be pretty beefy, and not more like the C65 then.

Launches May 1st 2019, sorry to disappoint.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

The case actually reminds me a lot of the C65 just deeper. It looks like they chamfered both edges above and below the crown to give a slimmed down and more interesting side view. No more slab sided C60. Twin flag at 12 appears to be applied which is great. Tapered edge on the inside of the indicies similar to the outgoing rapide line. Jury is out on the hands, not sure the bold hour hand fits well with the slim minute hand but I'm sure it will look normal before too long.
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

Seems like a blend of old C60 and current C65 as far as the case goes, seems like an interesting combination. I like the more curved and elegant look of the lugs, jury is out in the size and scale of the hour hand (I’d like to see real images or see it in the flesh before casting opinion there) but I do like the hint of cricket bat style for the min hand.
I too was puzzled by the only size being mentioned in the magazine being 42mm; a quick phone call to CW Towers confirmed this. I was told that the only size option at the moment was 42mm, other sizes might come along at a later date. I’m hoping this will be before May?

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Rice and Gravy
Expert
Expert

Post by Rice and Gravy »

The hour hand looks very similar the GMT hand on the current c65 GMT. And thank you for asking about the size(s). I'll be highly disappointed if it's only 42mm after the tease of there being a 40mm planned.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Omega Aqua Terra 8900 Blue
Christopher Ward C60 Trident 300 White
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day/Date
Casio G-Shock GWM5610-1
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Wowsers ... you could serve pizza off that hour hand :D
I'm sure it'll be much more subtly than the sketch suggests.
Hopefully the minute hand will have some sort of pointed tip to match and not the same as the C65 'cricket bat' hands.

That case is going to look great as it looks very similar to the C65 which is a marvel. Looking forward to some previews or info on dial options available this time around.

Roll on May!

Edit - Just read the bit about the 42mm size above. What's all that about?? :?
Ryan
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

The article mentions the case being not "quite as high" so I believe it will be thinner:

"We worked hard to make sure that the case isn’t quite as high, for one thing, and it’s now 42mm across, rather than the 43mm of the Mk2. The overall effect is to make it seem both tightly focused and slightly more aggressive."
Best regards,
John
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

StrappedUp wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:31 pm Wowsers ... you could serve pizza off that hour hand :D
I'm sure it'll be much more subtly than the sketch suggests.
The hour hand on the prototype looked triangular, but in a subtle way.
I liked it, it didn't look like a copy of any other brand.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

Suspending judgement on the hour hand for now. 42mm is fine for me. Looking forward to the video of the April GTG just in case the Mk 3 prototype is shown.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
mcb2007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mcb2007 »

That hour hand looks terrible , it would put me right off . But I said that about the logo and now have three of them .
I am nameless I am shameless, I can be the purist soul with evil as my goal, I can be the story untold.
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

What sizes are they making these in just 42?
Neil
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

neil8fletcher3 wrote:What sizes are they making these in just 42?
0uatiOW wrote:“more of the bold, masculine presence that the old one had”, blimey - that suggests it’s going to be pretty beefy, and not more like the C65 then.

Yes, it was said.

They’ll be available in 38mm, 40mm & 42mm models.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Thanks guy
Neil