LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Re: Logo at 9 o'clock poll

Post by Kip »

Broadsands wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:30 am It's not just the placement - the whole thing seems a little egotistical - who really wants "Christopher" on their watch (other than Christopher Ward!), anymore that "Raymond" on a Raymond Weil is a great look - these aren't the sexiest names out there! And Christopher being so long in characters really doesn't work with Ward sitting flush left anyway. How a so called designer put this together and it passed senior management at CW is beyond me. The twin flags on the other hand is great - so, just have those with "Ward" below it and they would have a classy design that would stand the test of "time". And there is a reason why most watch brands place their logos on the dial where they do...! Putting it at 9 is not being clever - it's a poor choice.

Shame, because I love many of their designs, apart from the choice of logo design and placement. Sorry, you said not to make it a rant about anything other than the placement!
Well someone must want Christopher Ward or Raymond Weil, Richard Mille, Roger Smith, George Daniels, Philippe Dufour, Roger Dubuis, just to mention a few eponymous brands, on the dials. In your opinion, they may not be sexy and certainly put off a few people somewhere, but all these brands, and many, many more I haven’t mention, are successful. If you want more eponymous brand names, have a look here.

I realize you are new here, but you may wish to research the CW brand a bit more and how it, and the name came about and why Christopher Ward is on the watches and not that of the other founders or some made up name. There are also plenty of topics as to why the logo was changed from the original (V1) and how it (current logo V3) got to where it is today as well as the placement.

As to egotistical…we all have egos. Most business owners I know have egos a bit stronger than most. It helps them to succeed whether we like it or not. Many desire to put their names on their products to keep them on their toes knowing that their name is out there. I am certain there are many other reasons.

Logo Location…certainly it puts off some people. Is it a poor choice? In your opinion it is, but according to CW, sales continue to increase. The reasons may be that the logo/placement is a factor or it could even be in spite of and maybe it is the designs only and logo be damned.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

A combination of the brand name, word mark position and font use/general marketing drives me away from the brand more and more. But I am sure that fashion and marketing sells (Rolex is a good example) probably more to the general watch consumer than to the watch enthusiasts and they are a very small group. And as the Ward people say, the 9 o'clock modern word mark is key to their success and increase in watch sales.

So it's not just the 9 word mark but the entire brand that doesn't speak to me all that much anymore. But there are hundreds of other brands so slowly moving on. I don't have any other watches with full people names on the dial either because that is a big turnoff. I came to the brand when it was just CHR.WARD on the dial and that was ok.

If it was my company, i would have put my marketing money into a new brand name and a more traditional approach to branding. Many of the Ward watches have a vintage or classic, moderate design and the modern branding with sans-serif fonts just seems out of place on those. I would buy a Swatch or Daniel Wellington if I wanted something hip and fashionable.

But what do we know as watch enthusiasts about running a watch business. They are doing it and we are not. And hopefully making good profits.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Broadsands wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:30 am It's not just the placement - the whole thing seems a little egotistical - who really wants "Christopher" on their watch (other than Christopher Ward!), anymore that "Raymond" on a Raymond Weil is a great look - these aren't the sexiest names out there! And Christopher being so long in characters really doesn't work with Ward sitting flush left anyway. How a so called designer put this together and it passed senior management at CW is beyond me. The twin flags on the other hand is great - so, just have those with "Ward" below it and they would have a classy design that would stand the test of "time". And there is a reason why most watch brands place their logos on the dial where they do...! Putting it at 9 is not being clever - it's a poor choice.

Shame, because I love many of their designs, apart from the choice of logo design and placement. Sorry, you said not to make it a rant about anything other than the placement!
Broadsands,
First off "Welcome to the Forum", I noticed this is just 1 of your 2 posts to date. You certainly picked a prickly subject for your first 2 posts as I see you also mentioned the logo on your first post, with both being posted on Monday.

The logo location is dis-liked by some people (including myself) as you can see from this poll. However many others like it or it doesn't upset them and so plenty of people are buying CW watches as they have some great designs and there are more to come this year. So before damning them completely due to the logo I'm now making sure I see them "in the flesh" which fortunately I can do living not that far from the CW Showroom.

As Kip said there is history behind the name that you may or may not be aware of being such a new member. In fact, despite being around for some time. I'm not sure I know WHY Christopher Ward was chosen even though I know it's 1 of the founders names so I'm off right now to read up on WHY.

Maybe make an "introduction" post to us as Kip normally recommends and he'll be able to highlight other handy things for you to read?

Best wishes and we hope you stick around as it's a great place to improve anybody's watch knowledge.
Bugster87
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Bugster87 »

The logo certainly works better on some designs. I like it on the newer C65 vintage models but don’t like it on the current C60 divers. Think that’s just the negative space at 12. The ones with the embossed flags look better.

Also I have no issues with the word “Christopher” on the watch. It’s part of the brand name. If you can’t get over that then there are plenty of watches with other names on.
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Logo at 9 o'clock poll

Post by Robotaz »

I’ve thought a lot more about this lately. I’ve seen some comments on other forums, which frankly irritate me, and I wanted to voice my humble opinion here and I’m done with this topic.

I’m from Kentucky and have a uniquely American POV. I followed my sister around the world as she played music on a world stage and have experienced a lot of cultures and artistic origins. Yes, I’m American and the basis for my opinions is American, but I’ve got a lot of cultural inputs.

It’s important to keep in mind that I am no expert in the cultural evolution of British style from the perspective of those who have lived it.

To me, the logo and general direction of the styling is a cross between a unique NYC boutique feel, and Bauhaus. It’s not contemporary. It’s modern. People even just before the cutting edge are not modern. They are contemporary.

CWL seems to have a new frontier and an old frontier. I don’t want to comment more on that because it affects perception, but where they’re headed matches the logo.

I do not like logos on my clothes. Let me just say that. To me the CWL logo is subtle and only there because branded items, and brands in general, need a logo. So coming from a perspective that like minimalist logos, the 9:00, left-justified logo is tame; very tame.

I understand why some do not like the logo, but I think it’s unique and carving a place in watch history that I don’t expect many to appreciate. I don’t know if it’s good for CWL, or not, but I’m proud to own the ones I have. It’s modern, and that will always make me feel like I’m on the cutting edge of loving watches.

I may be in a minority, but props to the team that took the bold step in this direction.

@robotazky
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Robotaz wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:25 pm I’ve thought a lot more about this lately. I’ve seen some comments on other forums, which frankly irritate me, and I wanted to voice my humble opinion here and I’m done with this topic.

I’m from Kentucky and have a uniquely American POV. I followed my sister around the world as she played music on a world stage and have experienced a lot of cultures and artistic origins. Yes, I’m American and the basis for my opinions is American, but I’ve got a lot of cultural inputs.

It’s important to keep in mind that I am no expert in the cultural evolution of British style from the perspective of those who have lived it.

To me, the logo and general direction of the styling is a cross between a unique NYC boutique feel, and Bauhaus. It’s not contemporary. It’s modern. People even just before the cutting edge are not modern. They are contemporary.

CWL seems to have a new frontier and an old frontier. I don’t want to comment more on that because it affects perception, but where they’re headed matches the logo.

I do not like logos on my clothes. Let me just say that. To me the CWL logo is subtle and only there because branded items, and brands in general, need a logo. So coming from a perspective that like minimalist logos, the 9:00, left-justified logo is tame; very tame.

I understand why some do not like the logo, but I think it’s unique and carving a place in watch history that I don’t expect many to appreciate. I don’t know if it’s good for CWL, or not, but I’m proud to own the ones I have. It’s modern, and that will always make me feel like I’m on the cutting edge of loving watches.

I may be in a minority, but props to the team that took the bold step in this direction.

@robotazky
Very thoughtful and well said. I'm of a similar view and in your camp. The C65 Trident Diver with the logo drew me to the brand last year. But then again, I like NATO straps so there's no accounting for my taste (according to some opinions :lol: ).
Best regards,
John