32%

Total votes: 141

Arbor22
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Re: Logo at 9 o'clock poll

Post by Arbor22 »

Whilst there are a number of watches I like in the current line up I can't get past the 9 positioning. It just feels unbalanced, sorry CW.
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

No harm in raising this topic again, though I do think that as far as Mike, Chris et al are concerned the stable doors are creaking in the wind, the tumbleweeds are a-tumblin’ along the doggone road and Dobbin is somewhere in the next but one county, dead as a dodo and totally impervious to the cat o’ nine tails.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

0uatiOW wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:19 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:51 pm E.G. Jcalder68 above feels that the Christopher Ward at 9 balances the date window but I feel that the Christopher Ward is too long to balance the date window, that the flags are the right size to balance the date window and that a centre justified Christopher Ward at 12 would balance any words above 6 like Automatic or Water Resistance etc etc. to give all over balance and symmetry, This effect (or is it affect) can be seen on Frank's (Nordwulf) C60 mock up on CW Design Suggestions.

C'est la vie, Que Sera Sera, That's Life etc.
I’m with Mick. The date window at 3 is an imbalance in itself. It needs something small to balance (unless it’s a day / date window), so put putting the twin flags at 9 would provide balance, putting a left-aligned wordmark does not.
Me too.

On my C8PR with a centred logo, works fine, but at 9 and left justified, at best it does nothing for me at all. It's not only the position, it's just plain awkward. The twin flags would be the better counterweight, perfect as is for date and possibly elongated for day date - assuming the dial wants to be that busy of course. Less can also be much more.

It'll be interesting to see how the poll turns out.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
atnits
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by atnits »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:48 pm No harm in raising this topic again, though I do think that as far as Mike, Chris et al are concerned the stable doors are creaking in the wind, the tumbleweeds are a-tumblin’ along the doggone road and Dobbin is somewhere in the next but one county, dead as a dodo and totally impervious to the cat o’ nine tails.
Amor Vincit Omnia

^^^Like it, Anthony. Good evening for mixed metaphors, ex ore equi, as it were.
Steve

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:48 pm No harm in raising this topic again, though I do think that as far as Mike, Chris et al are concerned the stable doors are creaking in the wind, the tumbleweeds are a-tumblin’ along the doggone road and Dobbin is somewhere in the next but one county, dead as a dodo and totally impervious to the cat o’ nine tails.
I'm sure they would be interested to know what they could change about their product to increase sales.
The poll results seem to tell a story...
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Amor Vincit Omnia

As I said, no harm in raising the topic.

I’d have CHR WARD at 12 every time.

But I have a couple of v.3 logos and honestly don’t notice them.
Steve

Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:07 pm I've just voted with the "Hate 9o'clock - won't buy a lefty logo CW" as it's the closest to how I feel. A truer statement for me would be "Can't like 9o'clock so I can't buy any lefty logo CW"
I've posted my thoughts previously and recently but I'll repeat them here so they'll be together with other Forum members comments whether pro or con.

My eyes and brain like symmetry. Maybe it's a little bit of OCD or even totally OTT but if anything doesn't "look" symmetrical then I have problems liking it. The house I liked best of the houses that I've owned is a Victorian double-bayed detached - perfect symmetry. But I love my Moonwatch even though it's not totally symmetrical because the clever design of the shape of the lugs and crown guard give the impression of symmetry so my brain is fooled (it's not difficult to fool my brain :D )

So when I look at the CW watches with the name at 9 there is no symmetry according to my eyes and brain especially with a big empty space at 12 even if the flags are there as they are not "visible" because they are indented only. So when I say I'll never buy a lefty logo CW it's not because I dislike the logo (it's fine centre justified at 12) it's because I can't like the overall look at the watches because the dial lacks balance or symmetry or whatever you wish to call it.

I don't like saying the above because I like the design of the C65 and would buy at least 1 but for the logo at 9. It's likely I'll like the new C60 but for the logo at 9 but very doubtful I'll get past it to buy 1 - Sorry but as I've said previously "it's my loss".
It's like you read my mind. For me it's not the placing of the words at 9 it's the large amount of empty space and the imbalance it brings to the dial, which is why I'd never say 'never', but would say 'unlikely'.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Essex Paul wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:51 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:00 pm
Essex Paul wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:21 pm For those who dislike or are unsure of the new logo at 9, you should see the watches in the flesh as it were.
It’s quite faint and inconspicuous in real life as photos on the forum and website blow the dial up significantly.

Just can’t imaginde why an inconspicuous logo on anything for that matter would bother people?

Just my humble opinion. :thumbup:
I appreciate what you're saying about seeing these in the flesh but my distain for the location is not solely based on photos but also on the C3 2017 FLE I own and I don't wear it because of the logo at 9 as that's all I see in real life wear.

If it's inconspicuous why did CW bothered to be "disruptive" and make 9 o'clock the default location ? As I've said in my previous post(s) we'll all never agree because what is inconspicuous to you is a poke in the eye with a sharp stick to me.
Not sure it’s disruptive, they’ve decided to change their logo and placement that’s all. The watches are still of high quality for the price point.
But, yeah I do get what you’re saying. We won’t all agree on everything. :lol: :thumbup:
Apologies for repeating the above in full but I can't work out which quotes to delete :problem: :oops: - I only use "disruptive" as I've been led to believe that's what CW stated they were being when they changed to using the new logo, its location and font. If they didn't say that then I apologise again this time using the word "disruptive".
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

Found it - the word "disruptive" was used by Hello, the company that CW used to create the new logo, to describe that the new brand logo needed to reflect what they considered CW to be, that is "disruptive".

"The real watch revolution.

Christopher Ward didn’t come to us with a brief — they came with an appetite for change. We are pretty straight talking — as are they — and they liked that. We had to get to the core of what these guys were all about — they were disruptive, real, no-nonsense people, and their new brand needed to reflect this."

and

"The Christopher Ward founders set out to start a watch brand with a truly disruptive approach, challenging an industry they regarded as ‘the last great bastion of an old business model’. After merging with their Swiss manufacture, the industry started to really pay attention – this bold British watch brand needed to step up."

So by inference the present logo is "disruptive"?
LordAnubis
Junior
Junior

Post by LordAnubis »

I have no problem with the logo or the placement currently. What I think the dial most often lacks is balance. It would be amazing if they kept the bronze LE C65 diver aesthetic. Where the other dial text “waterproof blah blah blah” is at 3 o’clock. That was the most amazing dial I have seen from CW. Everything about that was brilliant. Out of my price league. But was a stunning watch.
Watchamacallit
Senior
Senior

Post by Watchamacallit »

I am mostly ambivalent about the logo at 9 o'clock. It is more about the overall watch than the specific logo placement or branding.

That said I can't help but blame Mr. Ward's parents for naming their son Christopher. :-) Of course I am joking or attempting to be lighthearted in saying that, but the underlying serious point is that I feel the 9 o'clock positioning is 99% due to the number of characters in the founders name. That if his first name had been "Max" or "Eli" or "Ian" or some other short name....or if the watch was branded with only the last name "Ward", I suspect the name would still be located at 12 o'clock. This is in no way trying to criticize Chris or the brand. I liked the V2 logo (CHR Ward) and take no issue with the new V3 logo but the physical space issues can not be overlooked. A long name limits placement options.
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

My thoughts on the placement and font type are old news, so no point going over that.

But I think that the current logo will date quickly. It is of it's time. A brand needs time to create it's own heritage and a logo can be part of that, but it often appears that rather than having a long term strategy, that can be tweaked to suit, that CW make things up on the hoof. Hence the jumping about with logos, case designs and so on.

Personally, I think it's a little confusing they now use two logos, which to a degree, contradicts their view of the benefits of the original
'new' logo. If CW are so convinced of it's value, why did they introduce and start using the twin flag logo as well?

If the brand was Richard Mille, or Roger Dubois, instantly identifiable with a certain type of high end watch, then fair enough. But 'Christopher Ward' on the dial doesn't have that cachet, as it's watches encompass a wide range of styles. So personally, I would drop CW altogether from the dial and go with the twin flags. It's a timeless design that will serve them well and represents the roots of the company.
'Tis me
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:28 pm
Essex Paul wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:51 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:00 pm

I appreciate what you're saying about seeing these in the flesh but my distain for the location is not solely based on photos but also on the C3 2017 FLE I own and I don't wear it because of the logo at 9 as that's all I see in real life wear.

If it's inconspicuous why did CW bothered to be "disruptive" and make 9 o'clock the default location ? As I've said in my previous post(s) we'll all never agree because what is inconspicuous to you is a poke in the eye with a sharp stick to me.
Not sure it’s disruptive, they’ve decided to change their logo and placement that’s all. The watches are still of high quality for the price point.
But, yeah I do get what you’re saying. We won’t all agree on everything. :lol: :thumbup:
Apologies for repeating the above in full but I can't work out which quotes to delete :problem: :oops: - I only use "disruptive" as I've been led to believe that's what CW stated they were being when they changed to using the new logo, its location and font. If they didn't say that then I apologise again this time using the word "disruptive".

No need to apologise Mikkei, completely understand that some don’t like it and find the change hard to swallow. Guess they just needed a word to describe the change. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
KevinB
Senior
Senior

Post by KevinB »

With the twin flags I could probably buy if I liked it enough, but overall it is the san serif font that just kills it for me. There's no style at all with it - had it been a one word brand or fit on one line maybe it would work. For instance my Tissot is san serif, but it is only 6 letters long versus 15 letters on two lines. It just looks ungainly to my eyes and at 9 o'clock left-justified feels an afterthought, like the designer ran out of ideas and quit after pouring all her thought into the other dial details that are so beautiful. I know they are committed to it, and I'm one guy with one opinion and only two of their watches (v2 logo). My vote doesn't count for much.