23%
Hate 9 o'clock - won't buy a leftyt-logo CW
32%

Total votes: 141

Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: Logo at 9 o'clock poll

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Not simplistic, Phil. However, I’m not sure that in the great big scheme of things people’s visual satisfaction with a watch dial can compare with airline safety or surgical procedures.

If my flight crashes I die – probably. If my surgeon messes up I could be in serious trouble – or dead.

If I don’t happen to like a watch design (and goodness knows there are many I really do not like) I can look elsewhere.

Do I love my C 65 Trident diver? Absolutely, it’s gorgeous!

Would I have preferred the logo centred at 12? Probably.

Would I have preferred the CHR logo at 12? No-Brainer – of course I would. But in this case the answer to question one outweighs the other two considerations.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

I haven't read through this whole thread, neither have I voted as there isn't an option that I would select.
The general consensus of opinion is that people hate the 9 O'clock positioning.
I wouldn't say I hate it - that's too strong a statement - Yes, I dislike it.
I have no issue with the type font.
The issue I have is with the inbalance on the dial.
So, for me, to balance the dial of the watch, it would need a date window at 3 or some text.

I kind of see where CW are coming from - they need to make a clear statement of identity with who they are - Christopher Ward.
Previous incarnations of CW and Chr Ward, although I like them, didn't really do that.
However, the obvious exception being the original logo at 12 of the CW moniker, then Christopher Ward and then London all centre justified as can be seen here:
ImageC3_SWT by StrapMeister, on Flickr
Why they couldn't have dropped the moniker and the London, update the font style (to what it is now) and just left it where it was a 12 centre justified is somewhat of a mystery.
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by scooter »

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

The OP started the exact same Poll on CWE at the same time as he did here.

Lets compare the results:

CWF responses 97
CWE responses 50

Ambivalent
CWF 30 replies being 31%
CWE 24 replies being 48%

Prefer Not
CWF 20 replies being 21%
CWE 17 replies being 34%

Hate
CWF 33 replies being 34%
CWE 7 replies being 14%

Love
CWF 14 replies 14%
CWE 2 replies 4%

Make what you will of that.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

StrapMeister wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:13 pm...The general consensus of opinion is that people hate the 9 O'clock positioning.
Actually, that’s not the general concensus at all. As of this posting, 14% love it, 31%, and 21% don’t like it but would still buy to 34% hating it. I’d say the general consensus NOT hating it with 66% still saying they’d buy.
Drew
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

FloridaPhil wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm No, not true Scott. The poll clearly shows that 34% of respondents won't buy the watch because of the logo.
In any other aspect of online sales that would prevent them from actually being able to review the product no? So maybe those opinions should be weighted less anyways without them having actually handled the product.

You know first hand owning 3 new logo watches with such a firm opinion against it, the logo isn’t the whole picture. So unless handled in the flesh, those “firm no” opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

srs1286 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:02 pm ^^ I personally think you’re both being a little dramatic with your comparisons of politicians and those that you trust your life with. Let’s take it down a notch and compare it to other products. For instance would you overlook items on amazon with less than 67% 4 and 5 star reviews? Even that analogy may not be completely accurate because the logo is only a single aspect so while 33% flat out don’t like the logo / placement of logo, that may only be weighted to 20% of the product. The remaining 80% is actual product quality and value. Look at it that way and all of the sudden your disaproval of the entire product drops to single digits.
Maybe my brain power and ability to understand maths have reduced in retirement but I can't work out how all of sudden the disapproval figure has reduced to 6.6%, which I see has been edited now to "single digits", when over 30% have voted for "HATE".

I'm not knocking the author of the quoted post here as the various manipulations of the % votes has happened throughout the discussions and probably also even in my own previous comments and maybe even in those used by or supplied to Mike France to support the logo/name/positioning.

Just goes to show how true is the saying "Lies, damned lies and statistics " that describes the persuasive power of numbers that can be used to support both or all sides of any argument.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jkbarnes »

scooter wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:20 pm Lies, damn lies and statistics.

The OP started the exact same Poll on CWE at the same time as he did here.

Lets compare the results:

CWF responses 97
CWE responses 50
Also interesting that so many like to make dramatic pronouncements about CW ignoring the masses about the font and placement when the numbers in this survey alone represent what looks to me like a minuscule sample.

I like the logo and it’s placement well enough, and understand that others don’t. I get that. We all like what we like.

I also know I’m no expert in branding and marketing. And neither do I have access to CW’s sale data. So rather than be the arm chair expert and tell CW how to run their business, I guess I’ll just trust that they know what they’re doing.

But then again, I like the logo, so I guess it’s easy for me to think that way.
Drew
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

srs1286 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:25 pm
FloridaPhil wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:09 pm No, not true Scott. The poll clearly shows that 34% of respondents won't buy the watch because of the logo.
In any other aspect of online sales that would prevent them from actually being able to review the product no? So maybe those opinions should be weighted less anyways without them having actually handled the product.

You know first hand owning 3 new logo watches with such a firm opinion against it, the logo isn’t the whole picture. So unless handled in the flesh, those “firm no” opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.
What makes you think that none or only a few of those that voted "hate" have actually handled any of the watches with the logo/9o'clock placement? I haven't seen that asked anywhere or stated.
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by timor54 »

This poll had to date received a total of 97 votes (the forum membership is over 12000).

Not exactly a statistical representative poll of either the forum or the wider CW customer base.
Tim
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:28 pm
srs1286 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:02 pm ^^ I personally think you’re both being a little dramatic with your comparisons of politicians and those that you trust your life with. Let’s take it down a notch and compare it to other products. For instance would you overlook items on amazon with less than 67% 4 and 5 star reviews? Even that analogy may not be completely accurate because the logo is only a single aspect so while 33% flat out don’t like the logo / placement of logo, that may only be weighted to 20% of the product. The remaining 80% is actual product quality and value. Look at it that way and all of the sudden your disaproval of the entire product drops to single digits.
Maybe my brain power and ability to understand maths have reduced in retirement but I can't work out how all of sudden the disapproval figure has reduced to 6.6%, which I see has been edited now to "single digits", when over 30% have voted for "HATE".

I'm not knocking the author of the quoted post here as the various manipulations of the % votes has happened throughout the discussions and probably also even in my own previous comments and maybe even in those used by or supplied to Mike France to support the logo/name/positioning.

Just goes to show how true is the saying "Lies, damned lies and statistics " that describes the persuasive power of numbers that can be used to support both or all sides of any argument.
Things are often weighted when reviewed. Food for example. Taste, presentation, etc. and those categories are weighted. I assume same with other products. Logo, build quality, value for money, appearance. All weighted categories. If someone has discontent with only one category that’s still pretty darn good.
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by srs1286 »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:32 pm

What makes you think that none or only a few of those that voted "hate" have actually handled any of the watches with the logo/9o'clock placement? I haven't seen that asked anywhere or stated.
The obvious answer would be that CW is an online company so unless you visit the showroom you would’ve had to buy to handle the new logo. Being that the category says you’d never buy a CW with new logo so how would you have handled it?
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

timor54 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:36 pm This poll had to date received a total of 97 votes (the forum membership is over 12000).

Not exactly a statistical representative poll of either the forum or the wider CW customer base.
Since when has this forum seen comments or posts from all of the 12,000 members? there's been plenty of polls previously in recent history where the result has been accepted as a true result despite the numbers being probably equivalent to this poll and nowhere near the 12K.

So are any new polls to be ignored unless 12000 members respond?
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Robotaz »

I can’t vote using Tapatalk, but I like the logo. It’s very contemporary and unique, IMHO. I think at 9:00 it offsets the date function nicely.

@robotazky
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

As small as the sample here is, it's what we have to work with so that's all we can comment on.

Again, check just about any comment section on reviews and read the feedback on the branding. Even if we accept the figure of 'only' 1/3 being vociferously negative, that's not good in my book. You can argue all you want about the watches having to be held in the hand (it confirmed my loathing but maybe that's just me eh?) but the fact is that most people commenting negatively won't take the time to do what I did and will simply move on to the next brand. Maybe CW is okay with that but it truly baffles me as to why you would immediately alienate so much of your potential customer base over something so simple to fix.

Maybe the poll here is meaningless but I've voted with my watch budget and it's my guess that many others have too.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

srs1286 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:44 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:32 pm

The obvious answer would be that CW is an online company so unless you visit the showroom you would’ve had to buy to handle the new logo. Being that the category says you’d never buy a CW with new logo so how would you have handled it?
And how can you state with pure conviction that they haven't been to the showroom prior to this poll and can thus state that they won't buy based on that or that they haven't seen or tried their mate's CW new logo'd watch. Again that hasn't been asked in the poll so to massage the percentages is unfounded.