C65 GMT Webbing Strap = what's up ?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
joeegg17
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 3

C65 GMT Webbing Strap = what's up ?

Post by joeegg17 »

Just ordered the C65 GMT on the webbing strap , it's by far the least popular option, judging by the lack of pictures posted on the net .
I think it is so suited to this watch but it's the last option on the strap list and never featured in any review i can find . I guess my question is , why does it seem so unpopular ?
O.K some may say , i probably should of waited until i recieved the watch and posted pictures but i kind of wanted to gauge thoughts now on this watch strap combo .

Garry.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: C65 GMT Webbing Strap = what's up ?

Post by jkbarnes »

I, for one, eagerly await your observations about the web strap and photos to go with it!
Drew
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I think the beauty of this watch (and it is a beauty) is that it is very versatile. I have handled the GMT version a couple of times and bought the non-GMT with a blue dial in November. I got the watch on bracelet and ordered a camel leather strap to go with it. Having tried both combinations I quickly decided that this was a bracelet watch for me.

The bracelet is easy to dress up or down because it goes with pretty much anything. I felt that the leather didn’t give quite that range. The canvas gives it a very different look, which I would have described as casual and possibly military in flavour.

Horses for courses and no doubt if you publish some excellent pictures it might draw other people to the canvas strap. I certainly will look forward to seeing it.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

I think the webbing option looks nice, but it's most likely because it looks *really* good on bracelet and it is more expensive to order as an add-on, whereas most can pick up a 'similar' looking aftermarket strap for much less than CWs equivalent.
*Downer's Law* :D

I've had my C65 on a NATO and a black Tibor that I picked up in the sale, but it went back on the bracelet after a day ... it just works so well.

However, I do have an olive green cordura arriving this week as I'm after an alternative look along the lines of the webbing, but I just can't see it staying fitted long term.
Ryan
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by johnnysharp2 »

Bit like Nato straps, don't really like them. So I can only assume others feel the same.
Johnny
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

The webbing strap would be the first choice for me on that model.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

I love the look of the GMT on its webbing strap. To me it looks rugged, a bit worn and distressed and does not matter if it gets wet or muddy. The olive colour gives it that tool/military look but somehow it still remains relatively smart.
I did try the webbing version when I visited the CW showroom, but it was way, way too big on me! I think it was the standard length strap and there were none of the extra-small versions available. Even on its tightest hole I could still slide a finger between it and my wrist and the tongue section wrapped so far back around my wrist that I could see several cm of it each time I checked the time. Not pretty!
So I bought my GMT on the bracelet, and that is a real joy! The brushed finish really is perfect for the watch - still has that rufty-tufty look, but also easily smart enough for a suit at work. I think it easily matches the versatility of the webbing strap if not the exact aesthetic.
Now, when I bought the watch I also bought a pair of leather straps for it. One was a deep chocolate brown, vintage oak version and that has to be one of my favourite (sized in extra small too!). I have also since ordered a pair of ColaReb Sienna straps as well, one in black and the other in their “mud” colour. With both I have swapped out the white stitching for some orange to match the GMT hand and they look awesome!
Actually, the only issue with any leather strap is actually changing it. The fit of the endlinks on the GMT bracelet is so good that I find it almost impossible to re-install it after I have finished with the leather straps. I’m sure it is much me as the bracelet, but it seems to need to slide in at a bit of an odd angle compared to my other bracelets on other watches. In fact, despite having several lovely straps for it, my GMT has stayed on its bracelet for the last couples of weeks simply because I am scared of damaging it if I try to get the bracelet on again. I will order a pair of spring-bar pliers, hopefully that will help me?
If I can I will try and get some pics of my strap choices up later.
I will be keen to see your watch in the webbing strap and hear your views when it arrives

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Bracelet or webbing strap for me.

Think I might invest in one (webbing strap) for my C65 Trident Diver P'type and Khaki.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
joeegg17
Guru
Guru

Post by joeegg17 »

Interesting thoughts guys - thanks .
I've not had shipping conformation as yet but I will be posting some Pics when it arrives.
I will apologies for the appalling picture quality in advance !! :lol:
srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

I generally dislike bracelets but this watch is made for it. Just perfect. That said, I like to have alternates so I too am curious about the webbing.
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

It’s not a GMT, but I’ve a new canvas strap that I’ve just put on my C65 so that you can see what you think.

I’m not 100% sure that I like the look more than the tan leather, but it looks good enough to stay on the watch for now.

Trying not to buy any more watches...
joeegg17
Guru
Guru

Post by joeegg17 »

Clach77 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:51 pm It’s not a GMT, but I’ve a new canvas strap that I’ve just put on my C65 so that you can see what you think.

I’m not 100% sure that I like the look more than the tan leather, but it looks good enough to stay on the watch for now.

I like it , has a nice destressed look . Thanks for posting :thumbup:
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

@Clach77 - that looks great Alex. Would work well on the Khaki too, but not so sure about the blue dial.

I've just realised that I have the same strap on my C9 Me 109. Ought to swap it over and try it out.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by Clach77 »

joeegg17 - you are welcome. I’d one in the strap box (which I planned to try on my C60 bronze) but it’s already growing on me on my C65.

Guy - I think you are right. It nicely contrasts with the dial and bezel, but goes with the vintage lume. I think I’ve stumbled on tons winner. I only put it on the C65 to take a photo for joeegg17. :D
Trying not to buy any more watches...
joeegg17
Guru
Guru

Post by joeegg17 »

20190201_135438.jpg
20190201_135359.jpg
20190201_135409.jpg
20190201_135512.jpg

So here's a few pictures , sorry but im not much of a cameraman and can't work out why they are sideways - doh !

Anyway my initial thoughts are that I Love it. In fact it's pretty much perfect in my opinion . The strap isn't as Khaki in colour as I had expected & it's all the better for it .

Definitely a keeper :thumbup: