Hoping it’s not indicative

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Exactly one week after buying my first two CW’s one of them has gone wrong ☹️

Sadly, my Bronze Trident C600’s date function has stopped working, the minute, hour and second hand though are still
‘tickety boo’.....

I have phoned ‘CW Towers’ and even as we speak they told me, a Returns Package is being prepared and dispatched which is a reassuring response.

Is this a typical or common problem with this watch or indeed the Brand?.......please guys tell me it’s not!.....I understand no brand can get it right 100% of the time but being so new into the CW ownership experience it’s disappointing, as they say, ‘it’s not how you fall over but how you get back up again’.......so it’ll be interesting to see how quickly and satisfactory this problem is resolved.

Please share your ‘it’s gone wrong but they fixed it’ tales, it’d be good for all members to hear just how good CW’s 60/60 warranty programme performs.

Regards,

Tempus
Robotaz
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Re: Hoping it’s not indicative

Post by Robotaz »

It’s a Sellita. Has nothing to do with CW. Personally, I’m not a Sellita fan, but people tend to say preference over ETA is placebo effect. Not from my experience.

Regardless, it’s not CW’s fault. However, they’ll fix it and you’ll likely be fine. You have a 60 month warranty, and I hear, good service afterwards.

@robotazky
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

No. Your experience is not indicative of CW’s general quality, at least not in my experience.

It’s a shame that the movement in your watch failed. Saying that though, it is a mechanical piece, it has moving parts and these will, eventually fail. Sure, yours has gone west way sooner than usually expected, but as mentioned above this is more down to Sellita than CW.

Personally, I’d be far, far more worried if it arrived with a fault, if it arrived damaged, or if there was some other QC type issue.

On the flip side, I also think it speaks volumes that CW have responded so personally, swiftly and are alsready in the process of sorting it out. That is way better than the service I have had from a number of other, not-to-be-named organisations!

I’ve had CW watches for many years. I have had to send one back for a bit of work, but I was treated exceptionally well with prompt, efficient and personal service all the way.

I hope it all works out well for you, no doubt it will.

C
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

I’ve just sent my C1 GMPR with SH21 movement back after only 2 months. It doesn’t seem to be winding up via the rotor.
First 2 months was very impressed with it recharging.

Impressed so far with customer service. Sent back via free returns pack, got there next day. :thumbup:

Now i’ve just had a confirmation email quoting 5 weeks to repair. :shock:

Strange as I haven’t even been told yet what is wrong with it, so I think it’s strange they’re quoting 5 weeks.

Shame as it’s my first CW but these thing happen I guess.
Will fully judge CW when I get it back in working order. Won’t buy a second until totally satisfied with results. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Robotaz wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:17 pm It’s a Sellita. Has nothing to do with CW.
Except for the fact it's the movement that's in one of their watches.

Am I right that they still drop them in without any form of regulation taking place?

Whatever, to the OP, apart from a blip after CW's wife left, there's a reason customer servives is so highly regarded.
'Tis me
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

Coincidentally I’ve just sent my Bronze C60 back for the 3rd time in 6 months. I have 4 CWs, and I haven’t had issues with any of the others, so I’m pretty confident it’s not indicative of things generally, but it is frustrating. These things happen sometimes - it’s how they handle it that counts - customer service is excellent but can be slow at busy times. A 5 year movement warranty is market leading - you won’t see that very often elsewhere.

@Essex Paul - 5 weeks reflects the volume of work they have, not the nature of the issue with your particular movement.

I noticed Wera’s name still appears as a contact on their shipments - I just received a strap last week and was surprised to see it, so maybe she’s back?
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Thank you for feedback guys.......hopefully the low number of responses is indicative of the low number of problems 🤔

......but, OuatiOW,.....you returned the same watch 3 times in 6 months?......personally I’d have asked for a replacement, looks like you had a ‘Friday afternoon special’ !.....on the other hand, after 3 returns it was finally fully sorted out, fingers crossed for you.

Regards,

Tempus
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

0uatiOW wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:06 am I noticed Wera’s name still appears as a contact on their shipments - I just received a strap last week and was surprised to see it, so maybe she’s back?
I can confirm a definite No to that i'm afraid, just the label has not been updated.
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by 0uatiOW »

Tempus wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:48 pm Thank you for feedback guys.......hopefully the low number of responses is indicative of the low number of problems 🤔

......but, OuatiOW,.....you returned the same watch 3 times in 6 months?......personally I’d have asked for a replacement, looks like you had a ‘Friday afternoon special’ !.....on the other hand, after 3 returns it was finally fully sorted out, fingers crossed for you.

Regards,

Tempus
It’s over a year old, so no return, unfortunately. I sent an email expressing my frustration (copied Chris, or I think I did, I guessed his email address), and they seem to be fast-tracking it. I did say that I realise sometimes you get a lemon, but I’m interested in seeing how they resolve it. I have a Mont Blanc with an ETA in it, and it went back twice in the first 3 months and they replaced the movement. It’s been fine ever since.

The nature of mechanical watch movements is such that sometimes things go wrong, so this fact alone makes the offer of a 5-year movement warranty remarkable. The other 3 CW watches I have are problem-free, so I’m still on board.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
nauf
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by nauf »

I had the same issue with my C60 Trident Bronze when manually adjusted the time and date for the first time. As the hour hand passed 12am, the date wheel didn’t rotate as usual. I just wound it manually, tune the hour hand to be about 5 mins before the next 12am and let the date changed naturally. Now it works just fine.
My small CW collection:
|C20 Lido|C65 GMT|C7 Auto|C60 MKII Bronze|C65 Auto|C60 MKIII GMT|C65 SH21 LE|C65 AM GT LE
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

0uatiOW wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:17 am The nature of mechanical watch movements is such that sometimes things go wrong...
This.

Back in 2017 my Cartier had a fault with the quickset date. It was sorted.

I’ve had 2 problems with CWs.
1. My original C5 auto was performing well outside specs.
2. The crown wheel on my C5 Slimline popped out of alignment.
Both sorted.

How many times have I seen some £30k German car awaiting breakdown recovery while I tootle past in my bog standard Yaris?

It happens.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote:How many times have I seen some £30k German car awaiting breakdown recovery while I tootle past in my bog standard Yaris?
Yes, but you notice that because of the car... :) If it was a plain Jane model people take little notice, but a Porsche or a Roller... hey, look at that!

There was a Porsche involved in a minor accident with two other cars near my daughter’s place the other day. Even though I had a good look at all three, I couldn’t for the life of me tell you what the other two were, but the red Porsche 911... you bet...
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Ttf23
Guru
Guru

Post by Ttf23 »

Well my C7 Apex has to go back - date is going forward at 9 o’clock rather than 12.

Still, other than batteries and a minor issue with the C65, I’ve had no other issues with any of my other 10 or so CWs.

I’ve been impressed with CW’s customer service to date, hope it continues and this issue is resolved within a month or two.
Independent buyer and seller of Christopher Ward and other watches - Ward Hoard
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Pleased to say that today, 11-02-19, I finally received a replacement C60 Trident Pro 600 Bronze for the one that I had bought on 21-01-19 that had failed after just a week of ownership, fingers crossed this one is a good one.

The visit and buying experience at ‘CW Towers’ had been fabulous but I have to say that the response to my calls about the failure of the watch were very lack lustre......no names, no pack drill, but if Chris wants to call me I’ll share them.

I called the Customer Services Team 3 times asking for a ‘returns package’, promises were made that a returns package was being sent out that day but nothing was turning up at my place, finally on my 4th call a young lady called Katie took my call and she did follow through with her promises to get things sorted out PDQ........note to all Forum members calling for help or assistance....ASK FOR KATIE........a really big thank you Katie.

I know it was “only” a circa £800 watch but it is more than just the money....it’s an emotional disappointment when your brand new watch has failed...CW offer a great guarantee but if it is not executed promptly it’s value is greatly diminished to the customer, expediency is key to put a smile back on your customers faces and to keep their loyalty going forward to another CW purchase, surely it is not that hard to put an address label on a returns package and drop it into the post box the same day that the call for help comes in?

Just as an example of superb customer service...just this week Mrs Tempest called a shop located 100 miles from us at 4pm on Friday afternoon to buy me a watch for my birthday and the watch turned up at ours at 10am on Saturday morning, just 18 hours later.........amazing service, a great price and yes, we will certainly be using their services again without hesitation whereas....

Regards,

Tempus
38983CF4-DA66-4E71-8CEB-1ED3827575F9.jpeg
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Can’t help it but.
The more I think about my C1 having to go back to CW after only 8 weeks, that after having a brilliant personal shopping experience at CW towers the more disappointed I feel.
The C65 handwound or Auto is my next CW but only if I’m 100% satisfied with my C1.
I do hope so. Read so many stories of watches having to go back multiple times it really boils down to how my C1 turns out.
If fixed and I’m happy, another CW will be purchased.
If it has to go back a second time, I’m done with this particular brand and I’ll move on. :thumbup:
Fingers crossed.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue