Manchester GTG - Chat with Chris - Saturday 27th April 2019

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Hicksmat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Manchester GTG - Chat with Chris - Saturday 27th April 2019

Post by Hicksmat »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Polite reminder that photos of the Trident Mk3 are still embargoed until 1st May, and should not therefore be posted on the Forum.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
Did not know. Apologies. I didn't see or read that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hicksmat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Hicksmat »

EddieTheBeast wrote:
Hicksmat wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:21 pm Great event. For those of you who were there I asked loads of questions and am the guy who mentioned Roger Smith and MMU. Cheers

I agree, it was an excellent gtg!! I’m the chap who was sitting next to you during the questions.

I’ll try to post a few photos of the new C60 later. But currently stuck on the train at Dove Holes as one of the doors is broken!!
I was a bit shy so didn't do too much mingling. Plus you probably noticed my horrible cough. So annoying.

smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:Polite reminder that photos of the Trident Mk3 are still embargoed until 1st May, and should not therefore be posted on the Forum.

Guy

Without wishing to poke the bear..........

Why in god's name not????

The photos are everywhere else, and yet the only place you cannot see the new C60 is................. on the CW forum Image

Accept it, the horse has bolted so you might as well join the ride!

It all seems a bit ridiculous to continue to ban the "available everywhere else" photos.

Come on mods let's use a bit of common sense....

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Hicksmat
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Hicksmat »

smegwina wrote:

Guy

The photos are everywhere else, and yet the only place you cannot see the new C60 is................. on the CW forum Image

It all seems a bit ridiculous to continue to ban the "available everywhere else" photos.

I'm inclined to agree. Did Chris, Mike and Peter say we couldn't post?

richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

smegwina wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:47 pm

Guy

I suspect it’s not the Mod’s call to make Nick. I’m sure they’d all love to share more but as the flagship for CW social media, they have to uphold the instructions from Maidenhead.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

richtel wrote:
smegwina wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:47 pm

Guy

I suspect it’s not the Mod’s call to make Nick. I’m sure they’d all love to share more but as the flagship for CW social media, they have to uphold the instructions from Maidenhead.
You're probably correct Rich. It's just been a long week, I am needing a stiff drink, am a tad grumpy and a bit oversensitive to farcical situations such as this one, where the only place you can't see the watch is on the CW forum!!! Image

I shall toddle off my soapbox and back into my little hole.Image

(I am also frustrated that you keep showing piccies of your gorgeous GS when I haven't managed to get mine back in action yet for this year!!!!!! Image)

Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

As Rich says, guys. We have been asked not to reveal full pictures until the launch day, and therefore we are upholding what we agreed with the company.

If you want a personal opinion, with moderator hat off, I’ll give you one. This whole teaser thing (and it’s not just CW, it’s watch companies, car companies, TV channels, you name it) is a complete nonsense - marketing gone mad.

Let’s face it, you don’t have to be John Nash to put two and two together and extrapolate four, do you? We have seen enough partial photos of these things for anyone with a brain to have an idea of what they will look like.

Personally I think companies should get them out there with the message – this is what we are producing next, get in line, you will want it!

But, we are simply doing our job…
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
angusbon
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by angusbon »

smegwina wrote:

Guy

Totally agree. The whole thing has turned into a farce....
Social media has been awash with pictures assigned to certain people on the promise they don't share with anyone, then proceeded to send them to all their chums, then get indignant when they turn up elsewhere....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

smegwina wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:00 pm

(I am also frustrated that you keep showing piccies of your gorgeous GS when I haven't managed to get mine back in action yet for this year!!!!!! Image)
Don't be mate. My two short rides last weekend amounted to 50% of the total mileage I did last year. My MOT tester always has a good laugh at the lack of use it gets.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by smegwina »

richtel wrote:

Don't be mate. My two short rides last weekend amounted to 50% of the total mileage I did last year. My MOT tester always has a good laugh at the lack of use it gets.
Know that feeling! BMW always laugh when mine goes in. This year I shall get a few k on her though.

nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

richtel wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:07 pm

I was a bit confused by Nick’s post! :)

I thought what’s he on about, he doesn’t have a Grand Seiko! :lol:

But now I understand. :oops:

Back on topic with “teaser pics” - seems fairly pointless. Teaser pics for the major brands are just that “teaser pics”, from which you still can’t work out what is being released.

The CW ones outline the model and the detail. Is anyone really that bothered?

Seems overhyped to me. :silent:

It’s not as if anyone is going to phone an AD and ask to go on a “list” for a readily available watch is it.......

They are just going to buy it or not, once they see the full detail.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:02 pm But, we are simply doing our job…
So Independently Operated Forum doesn't really mean all that much. But we understand this is a CW owned forum and you simply have to follow their rules. I thought the admin/moderator team would get some kind of compensation (not necessarily financially) by running their forum in the form of stuff and other cool things.

The social media teaser campaign is a bit crazy and not sure how effective it is. Just a lot of information and fuzzy/strange pictures that don't really highlight the overall watch. The social media influencers are most likely compensated for their efforts and I will read their reviews with skepticism.
downer

Post by downer »

nordwulf wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:38 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:02 pm But, we are simply doing our job…
So Independently Operated Forum doesn't really mean all that much. But we understand this is a CW owned forum and you simply have to follow their rules. I thought the admin/moderator team would get some kind of compensation (not necessarily financially) by running their forum in the form of stuff and other cool things.

The social media teaser campaign is a bit crazy and not sure how effective it is. Just a lot of information and fuzzy/strange pictures that don't really highlight the overall watch. The social media influencers are most likely compensated for their efforts and I will read their reviews with skepticism.
I think you have misunderstood. We have been given access to a pre-release watch on the same basis as other channels. That basis is that we would not release pictures and information outside of the agreed "rules". We are simply doing our best to comply with our commitment - in other words "our job". Nothing to do with our independence or forum ownership.
Richard
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

downer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:44 pm
nordwulf wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:38 pm

I think you have misunderstood. We have been given access to a pre-release watch on the same basis as other channels. That basis is that we would not release pictures and information outside of the agreed "rules". We are simply doing our best to comply with our commitment - in other words "our job". Nothing to do with our independence or forum ownership.
The pictures of the full watch were posted by a member though and not the admin/mod team. I understand you have to follow the embargo because you agreed to that but others do not. But your agreement to the embargo by not posting full pictures appears to apply to the entire forum and all members.

But it doesn't really matter anymore because we can piece the parts together and the pictures are still out there on the interwebs.
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

I think it would be taken as a given, Frank, that we not allow full pictures to be posted by anyone on the forum.

And yes, I agree with you about the whole teaser thing and made that very point about piecing it together earlier.

Sometimes we have to agree TO something without necessarily agreeing WITH it. I do it all the time at work!
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)