An appeal to the mods

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

An appeal to the mods

Post by TigerChris »

I’ve just finished watching the live stream from the GTG in Edinburgh. My old friend Chris (DISJT) was also tuned in and contributing to the chat. He still has a very keen interest in CW watches, proven by his ‘attendance’ on the you tube stream. Even though his views weren’t always agreed with by all, he was a very valuable contributor to the forum in my opinion and put his posts across in a good manner. Is there any way that you could let him back in here please? The forum needs contributors like Chris. I hope others agree with me, particularly the ones chatting with him on the YouTube live stream. Any support from other members here that knew Chris would be appreciated :thumbup:
timor54
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Re: An appeal to the mods

Post by timor54 »

Didn’t have any contacts with him personally, but from his posts he came across as a very balanced and grounded contributor. No slavish devotion to favourite brands and a willingness to question and puncture ego’s, whilst generally remaining polite and respectful.

This forum has too few contributors and needs to retain people like this.
Tim
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

It was a shame that Chris (DISJT) left the forum as I liked his candour and straight talking while he was always willing to acknowledge others viewpoints. I did read the various and numerous posts that caused him to leave but I've forgotten the actual content and reasons why he left. Maybe if I can forget then everybody else can including Chris.

Has anybody been in contact with him to know that he wants to be back on this Forum?
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:25 pm It was a shame that Chris (DISJT) left the forum as I liked his candour and straight talking while he was always willing to acknowledge others viewpoints. I did read the various and numerous posts that caused him to leave but I've forgotten the actual content and reasons why he left. Maybe if I can forget then everybody else can including Chris.

Has anybody been in contact with him to know that he wants to be back on this Forum?
We've been in contact with each other a few times and, yes, he would like to be able to contribute again. In fact he's just emailed me about 20 mins ago following on from the youtube stream. He didn't leave of his own accord though, he was banned.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

I thought I saw Richard D on the chat too, his posts are also missed.
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by kiter65 »

Second that I personally thought he made great contributions to the forum and had fantastic sence of humour, I also bought a watch from him and he was a pleasure to deal with, still can't work out why he was banded. We lost a few good members in a short space of time which was shame
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

I’d love to see Chris given a second chance. I too, read the posts that got him banned. I thought that his opinions during the incident in question had some validity but rightly or wrongly, he pushed and pushed and the result became inevitable.

I believe in second chances. Let’s be generous here and offer an olive branch.
What’s the worst that can happen? He could get himself banned again? His risk!
Steve.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Thermexman wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:30 pm I’d love to see Chris given a second chance. I too, read the posts that got him banned. I thought that his opinions during the incident in question had some validity but rightly or wrongly, he pushed and pushed and the result became inevitable.

I believe in second chances. Let’s be generous here and offer an olive branch.
What’s the worst that can happen? He could get himself banned again? His risk!
+1.

Yep that sums it up for me.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I’d had a few off-forum PM chats with Chris and always found him to be a good bloke, one that I liked a lot. I would, like others, be quite happy to have him back again. I know he rubbed a few people the wrong way, but I never had an issue with him. He did however stimulate conversation on the forum, which is something we need to encourage.

On a related topic, I’d also like to see Tyke (Ian) return. I know that unlike Chris he left of his own accord in the midst of some words, but I’d nonetheless like to see him back.

Not quite peas in a pod, but both good forum contributors who would at times tread a little close to the line.

The problem is that while we (the forum members at large) see only the public side of the issues here, we also have no idea what was said and done behind the scenes (or in some cases removed from threads) - hopefully there was nothing that made the bridge incapable of being rebuilt.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
NotEnoughWrists
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by NotEnoughWrists »

I'd be happy to see any of the recently departed return, its a much quieter place without them.
I've been known to push the boundaries and my luck on other forums- luckily most of them were a little more receptive to my less restrained side and i even avoided the naughty step/ temporary ban.

It can occasionally feel a little like this round here and i do miss some of the more lively posters
So many watches, yet still so little time!
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by 0uatiOW »

I agree. I thought the ban was harsh at the time. The incident escalated quickly, on both sides, and now that the storm has passed I hope those involved can reflect that things got unnecessarily out of hand. I didn’t know Chris but I appreciated his contribution.

If the mods feel that certain behaviour can’t go unpunished, perhaps a yellow card might allow a cooling off period, rather than going for a straight red.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

0uatiOW wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:49 am If the mods feel that certain behaviour can’t go unpunished, perhaps a yellow card might allow a cooling off period, rather than going for a straight red.
That’s exactly how it works on the rugby league forums I use, usually 1 week. Sometimes someone may get 1 week across the whole forum, or maybe 1 week from the areas that all clubs fans use, but can still post on your own clubs board during that time. A weeks cooling off period is a great idea in my opinion.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

Chris was (is) a great bloke. We had a few tiffs during his time on the forum, but we always got past it and had some excellent discussions as well. I would certainly welcome him back into the fold.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Baco Noir
Senior
Senior

Post by Baco Noir »

I don't know Chris or what transpired as I am new around here, but I am a mod on another forum. We don't take banning lightly. We often give multiple private warnings and address the issues in the posts as well to make sure our actions are transparent, but when we do issues bans, they are permanent and the IP address is also blocked to prevent the user from creating another account and sneaking back in.

I have seen some forums issue 30-90 day temporary bans, but it's not something we do. Why? Because sometimes, and it doesn't sound like Chris is this type, the user will show back up and act nice on the forum but use PMs to spread misinformation or try to recruit members away to another forum and we can't read PMs to monitor for that.

Just my two cents and no reflection on Chris.