Nearly New - but is it near enough?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
EddieTheBeast
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Nearly New - but is it near enough?

Post by EddieTheBeast »

A C65 Trident Vintage arrived a couple of days ago, that I had bought in the sale, it was in the Nearly New section with a 50% discount. I really like the watch but I'm unsure if I can keep it as it has a couple of small marks on the brushed steel bezel. The marks can only be seen when you hold the watch under a light at certain angles - and are not even visible outside when it's bright! However, I'm not sure my OCD can cope with the marks!

The questions I have to help me decide on whether to keep the watch or not are:

1. Is there a way of getting rid of the marks without spoiling the brushed steel?

2. Is this watch with such a brushed steel bezel prone to picking up such marks?

3. Would you not worry about such marks and consider them part of the watch being used?

Photo showing the watch under a light to show one of the two marks:

Photos of the watch not under a light:

Dean
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Re: Nearly New - but is it near enough?

Post by TigerChris »

I'd accept that at 50% off being sold as Nearly New Dean. I have a little pad that I bought from watchobsession for about 7 quid that I use for getting small marks like that out of bracelet clasps etc.., but have never tried it on a bezel. Someone else with more experience than me may be able to help with that one more.
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

I would brush that out with a fibreglass scratch 'pen' - available on ebay and elsewhere. Here's an ancient thread where I made an attempt at doing this.
Richard
skimrok
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by skimrok »

^^^ As Richard suggested it’s actually really easy with one of them pens they are very good for detail and small spaces like a bezel side.
One tip make sure you do it gently and in one direction same as the brushed grain,if you have any electricians tape laying around for the glass so you not worrying about the Crystal
Steve

C9 Blue LE /C60 Black
Also other various brands in my collection
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

downer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:09 pm I would brush that out with a fibreglass scratch 'pen' - available on ebay and elsewhere. Here's an ancient thread where I made an attempt at doing this.
Think I'll have to pick one of those up myself - Cheers Richard :thumbup:
downer

Post by downer »

No probs. They work well. However, beware, they tend to leave some sharp debris (bits of glass-fibre) as a residue. This can hurt - and also scratch surfaces...
Richard
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

Repairing a brushed finish is the easiest of all. Get the scratch pen.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

EddieTheBeast wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:53 pm
3. Would you not worry about such marks and consider them part of the watch being used?
I would expect such marks as you described since the website says These watches are in ‘almost mint’ condition having been used as press and photography samples, so may have some light marks or wear.

It's a bonus when they arrive and are not marked, IMHO.And not to put too fine a point on it but NN watches are NOT new.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Paul Drawmer
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 7

Post by Paul Drawmer »

Or try an old fashioned ink rubber (the hard one).

Oops; eraser for our friends across the Atlantic!
There's always time for one more.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

1. Is there a way of getting rid of the marks without spoiling the brushed steel? - as described in posts above.

2. Is this watch with such a brushed steel bezel prone to picking up such marks? - no worse than any other watch. At least any marks can easily be brushed out or even, if you wish, polish the whole of the bezel for a different look (I did this on my C5A).

3. Would you not worry about such marks and consider them part of the watch being used? - No. Its categorised as 'Nearly New' exactly because it has these marks. You've had a 30% discount on the RRP for the privilege.

Final comment; get wearing it and get a few more dings / battle scars on it. :shock:

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:20 pm 3. Would you not worry about such marks and consider them part of the watch being used? - No. Its categorised as 'Nearly New' exactly because it has these marks. You've had a 30% discount on the RRP for the privilege.
These were actually 50% off while others in the NN section were 30% off.

While I am a bit OCD myself, I wouldn't worry about it for such an excellent price. But still hope my incoming C65 is perfect. :)
Jcalder68
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Jcalder68 »

With that type of discount I’d happily accept a watch like that which has already even christened, sakes me the worry of adding a few of my own.
While I like a prestige watch, I also appreciate being able to admitpre some of the battle scars I have added to some of my more regular pieces. I know which ding was caused by what and it sort of reminds me of the times and places we have shared together.
Obviously these marks were not yours, but you can now feel free to add your own...

C

PS: just a thought, but half of me thinks that a ding might actually be more obvious on a brushed surface compared to a polished one - the pressure of impact will smoothen out the brush lines, effectively make it glossed and therefore catch the light more? On the flip side, scratches will just blend in but, show up more on a mirror polished surface?
CW Watches - Malvern, Dartmouth, Lympstone, Sandhurst, Elite 1000, c60 300 Quartz.
Recently started hand making most of the leather straps you’ll see on my watches, happy to consider bespoke order for forum members.
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

Paul Drawmer wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:08 pm Or try an old fashioned ink rubber (the hard one).

Oops; eraser for our friends across the Atlantic!
:lol:... better take it out for a nice meal first
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by Lavaine »

If you bought it as a used watch at 50% of retail, would you accept a few small signs of wear? I know I would. So yes, I'd absolutely keep it. You got an almost new watch, with full warranty, for the price of a used watch.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
copemanphoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by copemanphoto »

Dean you scored a great watch at a give away price.

Wear it for a few weeks and you will probably forget the small marks but you will always remember the great price you paid for a quality watch.

Enjoy it.
Cheers, Mike.