Non-EU customers potentially now (more) liable for import duty

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Re: Non-EU customers potentially now (more) liable for import duty

Post by Lavaine »

That is great that they are monitoring this situation, and will reconsider the decision, but with a little more planning, research and forethought, this may have been avoided in the first place. I haven't heard of CW actually reaching out to any international customers prior to making this decision to garner opinions, or learning a little bit more about how this would actually impact customers. If they had done so, they would have known that this would negatively impact some customers, instead of assuming that the change would be cost neutral to international customers.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I can understand why you would be upset as it is obvious that this change has a direct effect on Canadian customers. As I mentioned they are monitoring and my guess is they will make changes if they feel it is best for the majority of their customers and the business.

I am bothered that you think they did no research just because you did not hear about it. They have over 10 years of feedback to base a decision on. I am sure that they did what they felt was best for the majority of their customers moving forward. Like any plan there are some flaws that affect some in a negative way. In this case Canada, and possibly others. They will take on all feedback as they always have and I am certain they will reconsider for some areas. Note I said reconsider. That does not necessarily mean a change. I am sure they will adjust based on overall business impact.

If you really want to let them know, send a detailed email to Customer service and copy Chris. It would certainly have more of an impact then just making assumptions.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Kip wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:05 pm Us Customs only charges duty on watch purchases of $800.00 or more. Individual states have different requirements come tax time.

Voignier is speaking of his experiences in Canada.
Oh! Big difference. Thanks for clarifying that, Kip.
Drew
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Thanks Kip. I’ve passed my thoughts onto Scott and Chris about the changes to shipping in Canada. I do hope the other Canadians on the forum follow suit.....

I had one friend who was looking at a watch this weekend and shelved the idea after we discussed the impact of DHL on the final consumer cost.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Viognier wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 am Thanks Kip. I’ve passed my thoughts onto Scott and Chris about the changes to shipping in Canada. I do hope the other Canadians on the forum follow suit.....

I had one friend who was looking at a watch this weekend and shelved the idea after we discussed the impact of DHL on the final consumer cost.
If you look back to my original posting, the switch to DHL was accelerated by the new Royal mail requirement that all international packages must have a CN22/CN23 customs declaration attached. I'm not sure it's fair to single out the move to DHL as being the root cause of the increased likelihood of paying duty since it is probable that Royal Mail packages will also be flagged. That being the case, DHL offers a faster service and better tracking so surely that must be a good thing?
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

FloridaPhil wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:52 pm
Viognier wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 am
If you look back to my original posting, the switch to DHL was accelerated by the new Royal mail requirement that all international packages must have a CN22/CN23 customs declaration attached. I'm not sure it's fair to single out the move to DHL as being the root cause of the increased likelihood of paying duty since it is probable that Royal Mail packages will also be flagged. That being the case, DHL offers a faster service and better tracking so surely that must be a good thing?
I did notice that and also noted it earlier within my thread posts. Whilst Royal Mail's new declaration form will, may lead to 100% GST taxation and paying the Canada Post handling fee (see Lavaine's earlier post), DHL's processing and transaction fees are 33% higher than that of the Royal Mail/Canada Post fee and will 100% be taxed for the GST.

For some, the DHL arrival earlier may warrant the premium costs, for others, such as myself it would not. I would like to see if the new Royal Mail requirement (which I believe was already declared on a sticker attached to my CW orders anyways) would change how often packages were allowed in by CBSA tax and handling fee exempt?
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

FloridaPhil wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:52 pm
Viognier wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:13 am Thanks Kip. I’ve passed my thoughts onto Scott and Chris about the changes to shipping in Canada. I do hope the other Canadians on the forum follow suit.....

Phil, all my CW parcels (as well as other parcels received from the UK) have always come with a CN22 attached. It makes no difference as to whether customs inspects a package or not, as all parcels entering Canada MUST have a declaration from the originating country attached. If there is no declaration attached, there is close to a 100% chance of inspection. If there is a declaration attached, as required, then it is completely random as to what gets inspected. The change in policy should have zero effect on the number of parcels entering the country that are flagged for duty and taxes. As has been previously discussed, all DHL parcels will attract duty and taxes, as well as a significantly higher brokerage fee.
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

Kip wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:16 am
I am bothered that you think they did no research just because you did not hear about it.
The following is what makes me think they did little to no research:

"From 2019 Royal Mail require a CN22/CN23 declaration on all international tracking shipments so there is no way to duck under the radar of the customs officials anymore with Royal Mail. As there is no longer an “advantage” of choosing Royal Mail over DHL, we have chosen DHL as our chosen international courier as they offer better tracking than we receive with Royal Mail. I know this doesn’t help the tax issues, but I hope it explains why we are using DHL now".

As has been discussed ad infinitum, this is quite simply false. RM/Canada Post parcels are significantly cheaper for the receiver than DHL shipments, period (and likely also cheaper for the shipper). There is no arguing the point. Hence the comment regarding a lack of research. Canada is one of CW's largest export countries. Some research could have avoided this backlash.
I will take a few minutes and forward my comments on the matter to CW.
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

I've paid C$273 to DHL in taxes and their fees on the two watches bought in the sale.

Last year via Canada Post I paid nothing on the last 4 watches I bought. If IRC the 5th watch came via courier and taxes and fees were paid.

CBSA inspectors are looking for contraband and DHL is looking for revenue.

The current method takes a bit of the shine off the apple so to speak.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
parsa
Junior
Junior

Post by parsa »

Lawrence wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 am I've paid C$273 to DHL in taxes and their fees on the two watches bought in the sale.

Last year via Canada Post I paid nothing on the last 4 watches I bought. If IRC the 5th watch came via courier and taxes and fees were paid.

"takes a bit of the shine off the apple so to speak"

..from the fact that as this far you've enjoyed tax-free watches for most of your purchases, and that might change now? You do realize that most CW customers needs to pay whole UK VAT for every CW watch they buy? Severe complaints from US and Canada customers (there is a difference in tax limit, I know) about losing some or all of the cost-privilidge might sound a little bit.. unreasonable.

The forced and high DHL brokarage fees are an issue, there I agree.
-Mikko

Current collection: C7 Chrono Auto, Omega AT 8500, Oris Aquis Date, Oris 65 Movember, Certina DS Podium Chrono
Prev CW's: C11 MSL MK1, C11 Vintage PVD, C20 Lido, C60 Trident GMT 600 x2, C1000 Typhoon RAF
Wishlist: C60 Trident Chrono, C8 PR
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

parsa wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:20 am
Lawrence wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:40 am I've paid C$273 to DHL in taxes and their fees on the two watches bought in the sale.

"takes a bit of the shine off the apple so to speak"

..from the fact that as this far you've enjoyed tax-free watches for most of your purchases, and that might change now? You do realize that most CW customers needs to pay whole UK VAT for every CW watch they buy? Severe complaints from US and Canada customers (there is a difference in tax limit, I know) about losing some or all of the cost-privilidge might sound a little bit.. unreasonable.

The forced and high DHL brokarage fees are an issue, there I agree.
I am not severely complaining. If the Canadian Government wants to collect duties and taxes in a haphazard manner I am going to try for the lowest option, regardless of what happens in other countries.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
Viognier
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

Lawrence wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:16 pm

I am not severely complaining. If the Canadian Government wants to collect duties and taxes in a haphazard manner I am going to try for the lowest option, regardless of what happens in other countries.
^^ Well stated! I feel the same way
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Well maybe if we Brexit we get more chance of a tax free import from the EU :-"
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nauf
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by nauf »

Kip wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:16 am I can understand why you would be upset as it is obvious that this change has a direct effect on Canadian customers. As I mentioned they are monitoring and my guess is they will make changes if they feel it is best for the majority of their customers and the business.

I am bothered that you think they did no research just because you did not hear about it. They have over 10 years of feedback to base a decision on. I am sure that they did what they felt was best for the majority of their customers moving forward. Like any plan there are some flaws that affect some in a negative way. In this case Canada, and possibly others. They will take on all feedback as they always have and I am certain they will reconsider for some areas. Note I said reconsider. That does not necessarily mean a change. I am sure they will adjust based on overall business impact.

If you really want to let them know, send a detailed email to Customer service and copy Chris. It would certainly have more of an impact then just making assumptions.
Kip,
It will have direct impact to me living in Malaysia as well. I enjoyed receiving my CW on Standard Shipping without import duty. I did twice however, received my CW on DHL Express, and as I could predict earlier, I had to clear the import duty. Having said that, I admit DHL handling is far better than by Royal Mail. I received my C65 GMT much later than usual, about three weeks (usually two weeks max). Turned out to be the delivery address on the parcel had been badly covered with curry soup (Till now, I don’t know how could that happen). They had to pry opened my parcel to retrieve the delivery note. Luckily the watch was in there. So it would be bad experience to a first time customer, but not me (my first CW purchase was in 2010 for C20 Lido Automatic when I stayed in London).
My small CW collection:
|C20 Lido|C65 GMT|C7 Auto|C60 MKII Bronze|C65 Auto|C60 MKIII GMT|C65 SH21 LE|C65 AM GT LE