Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: January Sale 2019

Post by Thegreyman »

Jasemh wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:38 am
TigerChris wrote:Just a quick word of advice for anyone adjusting the bracelet on one of these if you already have a 43mm Trident. Due to the shorter lug to lug, check which links you want to take out first. I just went ahead and took out the same as I do for the Trident bracelet, without thinking, and it feels a little tight even for me (I like my bracelets snug to my wrist). A half link to put back in would be fantastic, but as they don't have one I might have to put a full link back in, but I'll see how it feels over the next couple of days.
I was really surprised at CW when I received my c60 bracelet and it had knock in pins on the links instead of screw in ones , not sure if this is the case on your bracelet? , but screw in ones are a lot easier to take out and look better. If they are good enough for rolex they should be good enough for CW

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't believe there is much, if any difference to the appearance of the watch whether it has screw or push in pins. I'm wearing my Rolex Sub just now and it has screw in pins but I could barely see that even with squinting and my eyesight is fairly decent.

I think the screw in pins give a great likelihood of a slipping screwdriver and scratching the sides of the links than push through. I wouldn't actually even try to adjust the bracelet on my Rolex or Tudors and have just taken them to the AD when that needed doing, they don't charge for it either.

The Panerai I will probably have a go at removing the screw in lug pins when the new strap I ordered arrived but only with tape to prevent any damage and treading very carefully.

The push through pins I've had on CW, Seiko and other bracelets I've managed quite easily to remove myself with one of those cheap screw type pins pushers, I find they hold the bracelet well in place and it is a fairly simple operation.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
neil8fletcher3
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neil8fletcher3 »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 am
neil8fletcher3 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:43 pm Very disappointed that my box has arrived damaged with the perforation already opened and stuck back down with one of the two straps I ordered missing
Somebody external been into it rather than a problem with CW shipment?
Damaged during transit and then stuck back together so it wasn't immediately notifiable. Fair play to customer services who have sorted replacements today and a return for the damaged strap
Neil
skimrok
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by skimrok »

TigerChris wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:09 pm First pic of the C7 Auto Chrono which arrived about an hour ago. First impressions are very good, having seen the case and the hollowed out lugs I’m now 100% convinced that CW need to shout about this case more and utilise it with other styles - its fantastic. I’ll do some pics to show it later when I’ve sized the bracelet.

Well done and I have to say that looks much nicer then the stock pics suggested , well done!!
Steve

C9 Blue LE /C60 Black
Also other various brands in my collection
hook

Post by hook »

Hi all.

Thought I better say hi. I've always loved the C9 40mm, and was very pleased when i got the email on Friday and found it half price.

It's the perfect work watch.
Attachments
20190109_151416 (2).jpg
Rooski
Junior
Junior

Post by Rooski »

TigerChris wrote:First pic of the C7 Auto Chrono which arrived about an hour ago. First impressions are very good, having seen the case and the hollowed out lugs I’m now 100% convinced that CW need to shout about this case more and utilise it with other styles - its fantastic. I’ll do some pics to show it later when I’ve sized the bracelet.

That's lovely. I'm waiting to pick up mine from a pick up point. One thing I couldn't find was a lume shot of this watch. Strange really as apparently a lot of lume was used in this watch.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

C5 Malvern mk2 auto,C60 trident 600,Seiko Sea Urchin, Oris Junior vintage, Tag Aquaracer (Quartz) and Golana Aqua
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Rooski wrote: I'm waiting to pick up mine from a pick up point. One thing I couldn't find was a lume shot of this watch. Strange really as apparently a lot of lume was used in this watch.

I can confirm lume lasts all night, sad as I am I woke up about 2, looked at the watch and took this pic!

nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:10 am
nordwulf wrote:My 2 shipments were picked up on Monday and are still hanging around Heathrow. Geez, I can walk the 15 miles from Maidenhead to Heathrow in about 4 hours so DHL is taking their time again doing it in 2 days. At least they are consistent in poor performance.

Their website shows delivery from Maidenhead to the USA should take 1-2 business days. I'll be lucky to get it in 4 days. Wish they would use a real express company like UPS or Fedex for shipments to the USA, as mentioned before. But I assume DHL is probably the cheapest.

I hope they have a delivery guarantee so CW can claim some money back. I am not complaining as I didn't pay for express shipping but still disappointing.

But Frank, didn't your shipment leave Heathrow 04:21hrs this morning?

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk
That's correct. But shipment was picked up on Monday and left Heathrow on Wednesday. That seems like a rather long time to travel 15 miles.
Rooski
Junior
Junior

Post by Rooski »

TigerChris wrote:
Rooski wrote: I'm waiting to pick up mine from a pick up point. One thing I couldn't find was a lume shot of this watch. Strange really as apparently a lot of lume was used in this watch.

I can confirm lume lasts all night, sad as I am I woke up about 2, looked at the watch and took this pic!

Wow! The lume is good.That's the kind of thing I would do. Thank you for posting it. My excitement level has just gone up a notch.

C5 Malvern mk2 auto,C60 trident 600,Seiko Sea Urchin, Oris Junior vintage, Tag Aquaracer (Quartz) and Golana Aqua
downer
CW-watches: 4

Post by downer »

nordwulf wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:12 pm
That's correct. But shipment was picked up on Monday and left Heathrow on Wednesday. That seems like a rather long time.

I ordered something from southern Germany near Munich before and they used UPS. It was picked up on Monday morning, left the country that same night from Frankfurt, arrived at the UPS hub in the US late night Monday / early morning Tuesday (6 hour time difference), forwarded to my local UPS station during the night and I received it at 11:00am Tuesday morning. Now that was very impressive.

40 hours from pickup to even leaving the UK over a distance of 15 miles? Not so much..
I don't think you can blame DHL. They are a proven supplier and acknowledged as one of the best - certainly in Europe. I ordered something from Italy on Monday morning. This is the tracking:

Capture.JPG
Richard
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Why not? They may be good in Europe but they don't have their own delivery network outside major cities in the USA so the final leg from their hub is by US Mail.

They have been gone from the US since 2008. Not sure if they even know that at CW headquarters.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ial-advice
Package delivery company DHL may have conquered the world, but it admitted on Nov. 10 that it couldn't conquer the U.S. The unit of Germany's Deutsche Post (DPWGN.DE) announced it will stop making express deliveries within the U.S., close all of its 18 main distribution hubs there, and lay off all but a few thousand of its remaining 13,000 U.S. workers.

Although DHL will continue to make deliveries to and from the U.S. and other countries, its withdrawal from the domestic express business is another setback for a blue chip German company in the world's biggest market. Last year carmaker Daimler (DAI) sold its stake in Chrysler after it was unable to turn around the No. 3 American automaker.

DHL has lost nearly $10 billion in the U.S. in the five years since it purchased Airborne Express in an attempt to challenge FedEx and United Parcel Service. Despite its dominance in the rest of the world, DHL was never able to take enough share from the two major carriers in their home market.

Focus on International Express Deliveries

DHL’s failure is also an early illustration of how the meltdown on Wall Street and the larger economic downturn are likely to cull weaker players in many businesses. “Crises favor the market leaders,” Deutsche Post CEO Frank Appel told reporters at the company’s headquarters in Bonn. Worldwide, he expects that principle to work in the company’s favor. “We will come out of this crisis stronger,” he said.

Deutsche Post execs insisted the company will continue to provide good service to DHL customers sending packages from the U.S. to international destinations and vice versa. The company intends to focus what remains of its express network on metropolitan areas, which account for 90% of international traffic.

DHL revealed a proposal last summer to use UPS to provide domestic air express service for its customers (BusinessWeek.com, 6/11/08). But the plan quickly became politicized over fears that it would result in huge job losses in Ohio (BusinessWeek.com, 7/31/08) if DHL closed its Wilmington cargo hub there. The UPS relationship is still being negotiated, and a company spokesperson said on Nov. 10 that no decision has been made to shut the Wilmington hub as part of DHL's restructuring. By most estimates, though, if the UPS deal goes through, as many as 8,000 DHL workers there could lose their jobs by the end of January.

The company also will continue to use subcontractors, including the U.S. Postal Service to deliver to areas it doesn't cover. DHL's profitable freight and supply chain-services businesses in the U.S., which employ about 25,000 people, won't be affected by the cuts.
Rebnats
Senior
Senior

Post by Rebnats »

Glad to report my C8 UTC Worldtimer oredered on 3 Jan has now shipped. Delivery expected tomorrow.
C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600
C65 Trident GMT.

Tag Heuer McLaren .
Tissot Classic T Touch.
Seiko Starfish.
slimpickens

Post by slimpickens »

Sorry if this is the wrong place - but this felt like the right thread to ask this question. I searched the forum and didn't find any recent info...

Ordered a C65 in the sale, shipping to the US. The watched arrived in the states at a sorting facility and DHL emailed me asking for my social security number. Is this normal for items coming into the US? Never ran into this before. Thanks everyone.
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

No, that's not normal. I wouldn't send me SSN by email and I am pretty sure they don't have the right to even ask for that.

Some in the USA who ordered watches in the recent sale are being charged tax and duty by DHL. But there shouldn't be any charges if the value of the shipment is $800 or less.

CW doesn't use Royal Mail anymore so get used to DHL for all future shipments.
More info on the CWA FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CWAfici ... 257088721/
Jasemh
Senior
Senior

Post by Jasemh »

TigerChris wrote:
TigerChris wrote:Just a quick word of advice for anyone adjusting the bracelet on one of these if you already have a 43mm Trident. Due to the shorter lug to lug, check which links you want to take out first. I just went ahead and took out the same as I do for the Trident bracelet, without thinking, and it feels a little tight even for me (I like my bracelets snug to my wrist). A half link to put back in would be fantastic, but as they don't have one I might have to put a full link back in, but I'll see how it feels over the next couple of days.
I was really surprised at CW when I received my c60 bracelet and it had knock in pins on the links instead of screw in ones , not sure if this is the case on your bracelet? , but screw in ones are a lot easier to take out and look better. If they are good enough for rolex they should be good enough for CW

And the cost difference between CW and Rolex is not exactly a few quid. When doing comparisons please try and compare like for like. For what its worth, I prefer screws, but pins and collars are used by many brands including Omega, as Guy has already pointed out. I believe that CW are looking at the possibility of using screws for their Trident MKIII bracelet, along with a possible quick release system.
I used rolex as an example , I’m just surprised CW the “SWISS BRAND” don’t use screw pins

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Jasemh wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:47 pm
TigerChris wrote:

And the cost difference between CW and Rolex is not exactly a few quid. When doing comparisons please try and compare like for like. For what its worth, I prefer screws, but pins and collars are used by many brands including Omega, as Guy has already pointed out. I believe that CW are looking at the possibility of using screws for their Trident MKIII bracelet, along with a possible quick release system.
I used rolex as an example , I’m just surprised CW the “SWISS BRAND” don’t use screw pins

I think you'll probably find that there are as many, if not more, 'swiss brands' that use pins not screws. I could be wrong, but when you count the likes of Hamilton, Tissot etc.., who are more in the CW price bracket, they all use pins.