January Sale 2019

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
slimpickens
CW-watches: 1

Re: January Sale 2019

Post by slimpickens »

nordwulf wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:45 pm No, that's not normal. I wouldn't send me SSN by email and I am pretty sure they don't have the right to even ask for that.

Some in the USA who ordered watches in the recent sale are being charged tax and duty by DHL. But there shouldn't be any charges if the value of the shipment is $800 or less.

CW doesn't use Royal Mail anymore so get used to DHL for all future shipments.
More info on the CWA FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CWAfici ... 257088721/
Thanks - not on Facebook anymore, but appreciate the info. I called and they got the value wrong. They misread the invoice as $3,770 - not the $377 I paid - which is why it was stopped orginally. But they are still asking for my SSN to import the watch. I would never email it, and can give it over the phone, just wanted to make sure thats normal for everyone else here importing with DHL into the US. Not ideal. This is my first CW purchase, so I'm sure everyone has gone through this before. I sure do wish they had US distribution figured out though.
Jasemh
Senior
Senior

Post by Jasemh »

TigerChris wrote:
Jasemh wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:47 pm
TigerChris wrote: And the cost difference between CW and Rolex is not exactly a few quid. When doing comparisons please try and compare like for like. For what its worth, I prefer screws, but pins and collars are used by many brands including Omega, as Guy has already pointed out. I believe that CW are looking at the possibility of using screws for their Trident MKIII bracelet, along with a possible quick release system.
I used rolex as an example , I’m just surprised CW the “SWISS BRAND” don’t use screw pins

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think you'll probably find that there are as many, if not more, 'swiss brands' that use pins not screws. I could be wrong, but when you count the likes of Hamilton, Tissot etc.., who are more in the CW price bracket, they all use pins.
Screws are easier to change the same as the quick release straps CW use , thats why i was surprised

skimrok
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes

Post by skimrok »

^^^ depends what screws if it’s one sided yes but if two sided I say they are worse then pins due to two screwdrivers needed and very easy to slip if you not careful and if stubborn you be very lucky not to scratch one of the sides
Steve

C9 Blue LE /C60 Black
Also other various brands in my collection
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

slimpickens wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:56 pm
nordwulf wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:45 pm No, that's not normal. I wouldn't send me SSN by email and I am pretty sure they don't have the right to even ask for that.

Some in the USA who ordered watches in the recent sale are being charged tax and duty by DHL. But there shouldn't be any charges if the value of the shipment is $800 or less.

CW doesn't use Royal Mail anymore so get used to DHL for all future shipments.
More info on the CWA FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/CWAfici ... 257088721/
Thanks - not on Facebook anymore, but appreciate the info. I called and they got the value wrong. They misread the invoice as $3,770 - not the $377 I paid - which is why it was stopped orginally. But they are still asking for my SSN to import the watch. I would never email it, and can give it over the phone, just wanted to make sure thats normal for everyone else here importing with DHL into the US. Not ideal. This is my first CW purchase, so I'm sure everyone has gone through this before. I sure do wish they had US distribution figured out though.
It doesn't appear there is a legal requirement for them to have your SSN if the shipment value is under $2,500.

Why is an overseas supplier requesting my social security number (SSN), tax identification number (EIN), importer or IRS number?
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... number-%2F

But it may take longer and they probably don't want to deal with the paperwork.
It should be noted that paperwork for goods sent by courier service does ask for an importer number, whether the import qualifies for an informal entry or not. Courier services file CBP entries electronically, and the software system they use requires an identification number to be provided for the recipient of the goods. If an identification number is not provided, the courier service is required to file a paper entry, which is extremely time-consuming and in the world of "Overnight Delivery" not practical. The end result is that most courier services will not accept packages for international delivery to U.S. residents if a recipient's identification number is not provided by the shipper. Goods sent through the international postal service that are under $2500 in value generally do not require an importer number to be cleared through CBP.
I received several shipments from CW through DHL before (all under $800) and was never asked for my SSN.
downer

Post by downer »

nordwulf wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:26 pm Why not? They may be good in Europe but they don't have their own delivery network outside major cities in the USA so the final leg from their hub is by US Mail.

Not sure what that has to do with your complaint about a package taking two days to travel 15 miles in the UK...
nordwulf wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:12 pm
40 hours from pickup to even leaving the UK over a distance of 15 miles? Not so much..
Either way, not worth arguing about it.
Richard
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

It was just a complaint about using DHL for shipments to the USA. I am sure anyone in the UK and at CW don't care.
Ddavidsonmd
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Ddavidsonmd »

DHL to the US is terrible. Got a text my watch will delivered yesterday by end of day. Nothing arrived by 8 PM. Called CS and they are closed. Seriously for a global logistics company !
This morning I checked status and it is yet to go through customs. Postal service was much better and if they want premium shipper use UPS or FedEx. I will email CW my experience once I get my watches.
This is not a complaint against CW. They are great IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post by downer »

Who delivers the "last mile" of an international DHL shipment in the USA (outside of the major metro areas)? I thought it was USPS...
Richard
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Yes, that's correct. The "last mile" for me is about 180 miles.
downer

Post by downer »

^^ Thanks. As we both know, the "last mile" is a figure of speech, rather than a unit of measure. :lol:
Richard
RoadWarrior
Junior
Junior

Post by RoadWarrior »

srs1286
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by srs1286 »

nordwulf wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:40 am My 2 shipments were picked up on Monday and are still hanging around Heathrow. Geez, I can walk the 15 miles from Maidenhead to Heathrow in about 4 hours so DHL is taking their time again doing it in 2 days. At least they are consistent in poor performance.

Their website shows delivery from Maidenhead to the USA should take 1-2 business days. I'll be lucky to get it in 4 days. Wish they would use a real express company like UPS or Fedex for shipments to the USA, as mentioned before. But I assume DHL is probably the cheapest.

I hope they have a delivery guarantee so CW can claim some money back. I am not complaining as I didn't pay for express shipping but still disappointing.

Same for me. Mine was picked up on the 5th and arrived at the sort facility on the 8th at 10pm. Still no departure updates as of today.
Jasemh
Senior
Senior

Post by Jasemh »

skimrok wrote:^^^ depends what screws if it’s one sided yes but if two sided I say they are worse then pins due to two screwdrivers needed and very easy to slip if you not careful and if stubborn you be very lucky not to scratch one of the sides
I didn’t know that , good point ! .

nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

srs1286 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:34 pmSame for me. Mine was picked up on the 5th and arrived at the sort facility on the 8th at 10pm. Still no departure updates as of today.
No updates for me either since it departed. Of course we also don't know where it departed to. One of my previous shipments made a little detour inside the UK.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46536&p=678250

Keep in mind you will loose tracking ability when they drop the shipment in the USPS mail system. DHL doesn't update their system with the Priority Mail tracking number.
TheBeatles
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 6

Post by TheBeatles »

Anybody experiencing problems adding a Returns Package to their basket on CW site?

Although returns address is the same to that which the watch was delivered (shown in My Account), I am getting this error message:-

“Your order cannot be completed at this time as there is no shipping methods available for it. Please make necessary changes in your shipping address.”

I have emailed CW but no response as yet.
Basically, I'm for anything that gets you through the night. Be it prayer, tranquilizers or a bottle of Jack Daniels, Frank Sinatra

All You Need Is Love, The Beatles

Too much of anything is bad. But too much of good whiskey is barely enough, Mark Twain