Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Jasemh
Senior
Senior

Re: January Sale 2019

Post by Jasemh »

Mikkei4 wrote:
Jasemh wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:13 pm
FloridaPhil wrote: And it always seems to be launched in the middle of the night for us across the pond. Usually by the time I get there, the good stuff has gone. You are right, there is no good time. Our far east friends and Australian/NZ members likely miss out too.

Member/subscribers should be given the option to buy one watch from the sale then Cw should make a draw within 24hrs then email the successful buyers - making it 100% fair for everyone

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think you are over-egging how much CW care about who buys the watches that they choose to be included in the sale. As I understand it this Forum (and the Facebook group ?) get advance notice of the sale before the general public - isn't that enough for you ? Obviously not from your suggestions that would put additional effort onto CW staff at what will already be a busy time.

It's thoughts and responses like yours that make me wish that CW didn't bother with Sales.

Just be patient. If you're lucky enough to be around when the Sale starts then happy days...if not consider yourself lucky that you can rant and rave about not getting a watch at a reduced price when others in this world are lucky if they have food to eat and water to drink.
Omg really!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lee312
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Lee312 »

If CW decide to run a sale then it is up to them when they release the email notification, cannot understand some comments being made. We can only wait and hope that we may just be lucky enough to purchase one of their beautiful watches with a substantial saving included in the purchase. :thumbup: :clap: :wave:
Lee312
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 pm
FloridaPhil wrote:
And it always seems to be launched in the middle of the night for us across the pond. Usually by the time I get there, the good stuff has gone. You are right, there is no good time. Our far east friends and Australian/NZ members likely miss out too.

Member/subscribers should be given the option to buy one watch from the sale then Cw should make a draw within 24hrs then email the successful buyers - making it 100% fair for everyone

I think you are over-egging how much CW care about who buys the watches that they choose to be included in the sale. As I understand it this Forum (and the Facebook group ?) get advance notice of the sale before the general public - isn't that enough for you ? Obviously not from your suggestions that would put additional effort onto CW staff at what will already be a busy time.

It's thoughts and responses like yours that make me wish that CW didn't bother with Sales.

Just be patient. If you're lucky enough to be around when the Sale starts then happy days...if not consider yourself lucky that you can rant and rave about not getting a watch at a reduced price when others in this world are lucky if they have food to eat and water to drink.
I'm as bonkers as the rest of you. I've been checking the forum all day on my phone. But some of these suggestions have made me laugh and wonder what normal people would think of us! :lol: I sat down to write exactly this: I think you are over-egging how much CW care about who buys the watches that they choose to be included in the sale

But you beat me to it.

I think we've all demonstrated that CW don't need to come up with a convoluted process to make sure the sale is fair etc... I think we all know that whatever they do or do not do....the watches they want to sell will be sold. What we really mean is that we are worried we might miss out! (Go on be honest :) )

Happy hunting fellow nutters :thumbup:
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
Jasemh
Senior
Senior

Post by Jasemh »

Macdaz wrote:
Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 pm

I'm as bonkers as the rest of you. I've been checking the forum all day on my phone. But some of these suggestions have made me laugh and wonder what normal people would think of us! :lol: I sat down to write exactly this: I think you are over-egging how much CW care about who buys the watches that they choose to be included in the sale

But you beat me to it.

I think we've all demonstrated that CW don't need to come up with a convoluted process to make sure the sale is fair etc... I think we all know that whatever they do or do not do....the watches they want to sell will be sold. What we really mean is that we are worried we might miss out! (Go on be honest :) )

Happy hunting fellow nutters :thumbup:
That’s exactly what it is people will worry they’ll miss out on a bargain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHZacc
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 10

Post by CHZacc »

What you have to ask is are you buying a watch because it's a bargin, or are you buying a watch because you like it.I tend not to get caught up in the bargin category but have been lucky enough at times to get a watch at a reduced price when expecting to pay full price (thanks to a certain member of staff at CW towers on a visit there,was told to wait a week as the said watch would be 50% off C9BDD).I thought it was a fair price for what it was before this. It's good to get a bargin, I get that, but dont let it rule the decision.If your lucky enough fair play, if not , post in WTB or keep an eye out on the sales corner, bargins can be had there
C60 Trident 600 PRO
C700 Grande Rapide ETA 7750
C8 Regulator
C8 P7350 #29 SH21
C8 Pilot MK II Auto
C900 SinglePusher LE
C9 Harrison Automatic
C9 FLE # 9 ''Red 12''
C9 BDD
C11 MSL Chrono
Omega Speedmaster 3606

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

CHZacc wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:38 pm What you have to ask is are you buying a watch because it's a bargin, or are you buying a watch because you like it.I tend not to get caught up in the bargin category but have been lucky enough at times to get a watch at a reduced price when expecting to pay full price (thanks to a certain member of staff at CW towers on a visit there,was told to wait a week as the said watch would be 50% off C9BDD).I thought it was a fair price for what it was before this. It's good to get a bargin, I get that, but dont let it rule the decision.If your lucky enough fair play, if not , post in WTB or keep an eye out on the sales corner, bargins can be had there
. . . .or put it another way; #Rule 2 - Do not buy solely on price. from Downer's Rules . . .
other wise known as Learn from my mistakes? originally posted 26th December 2014 - should be a biannual reminder before a major sale.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Czechia
Senior
Senior

Post by Czechia »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:01 pm .
other wise known as Learn from my mistakes? originally posted 26th December 2014 - should be a biannual reminder before a major sale.

Guy
That's quite a brilliant list of do's and don'ts.

I particularly like the one about the thrill of the hunt of a watch - and can really vouch for that. :)

Also, an eye opener that watches will cost you money and are not investments (on the whole). I did think starting a CW collection that the value would increase over time, but it's really not likely too.

I'm learning just to enjoy the few watches I have and look forward to the next ones, and making the right choices. No need to rush into a big purchase for the fear of missing out, or buying solely based on price.

I have managed to avoid the 316L Yellow after pining it for it for a few months, but decided not to pull the trigger. Probably a good decision in hindsight.

Anyhow, I digress. Enjoy your evening gentlemen.
ianblyth
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 19
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: Yes
LE-six: Yes

Post by ianblyth »

Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 pm As I understand it this Forum (and the Facebook group ?) get advance notice of the sale before the general public
The e-mail is sent out to everyone that has signed up to be on the mailing list whether they are members of the groups or not.
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." Anais Nin
HendrixGreen
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by HendrixGreen »

Mike2795647 wrote:I’m on the look out for a nice trident, fingers crossed. Just a shame they don’t do the blue in a 38mm case
I am so on that page. Fingers crossed, one day!

Hendrix Green
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

ianblyth wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:27 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 pm As I understand it this Forum (and the Facebook group ?) get advance notice of the sale before the general public
The e-mail is sent out to everyone that has signed up to be on the mailing list whether they are members of the groups or not.
I thought I might have had it wrong so thanks for correcting me. I should have thought about it a bit more considering it had been mentioned previously either in this thread or in the "Clearance Section" thread.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:01 pm . . . #Rule 2 - Do not buy solely on price. from Downer's Rules . . .

Guy
Many thanks for pointing to this thread Guy :thumbup:

I have just read it through and found it to be a great insight and truly enlightening read - thanks Richard :thumbup:
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

StrapMeister wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:45 pm
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:01 pm . . . #Rule 2 - Do not buy solely on price. from Downer's Rules . . .

Guy

I have just read it through and found it to be a great insight and truly enlightening read - thanks Richard :thumbup:
I've referred to 'Downers Rules' a few times and they make perfect sense. I now try and ask myself 'would I buy it at full price'. When I look back on a few of my watches the answer is no - I bought them because they seemed a bargain at the time. Unsurprisingly, these are the ones that hardly get any wrist time. So now I only buy if the answer to that question is yes, unless its just a cheapo that I fancy grabbing for something different now and again, but there has to be an exception to every rule hey!.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

We'll now.....I guess I was incorrect about the timing here. If I was a betting man I would have guessed a preview email would have gone out today.

Still....it is their call....not ours.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
johnnysharp2
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 7

Post by johnnysharp2 »

TigerChris wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:57 pm
StrapMeister wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:45 pm

Guy

I've referred to 'Downers Rules' a few times and they make perfect sense. I now try and ask myself 'would I buy it at full price'. When I look back on a few of my watches the answer is no - I bought them because they seemed a bargain at the time. Unsurprisingly, these are the ones that hardly get any wrist time. So now I only buy if the answer to that question is yes, unless its just a cheapo that I fancy grabbing for something different now and again, but there has to be an exception to every rule hey!.
Makes sense, and must admit it's a 'rule' I have broken a few times, not necessarily just on CW,

I now try and get a balance between something I like and what I am prepared to pay, to be honest unless it's reduced significantly in price I pretty much don't buy anything now irrespective of how much I want it.

I have said a few times I deeply regret not getting a C70 Rosso Corsa COSC when they were half price last year, because it's a watch I have always liked. However, having missed out on that 'bargain' I have resisted seeing the odd one appear on eBay closer to full price - because I could have got it for much less and I don't actually need it - sometimes also you just have to wait and wait, a kind forum member sold me his Ascari COSC in as new condition for effectively the same as CW had them at half price, so patience is often important.

I have also been just as interested in the sales forum on here, as you can often get a really good watch, well cared for at a decent price.

As regards the next sale , if it comes, 'rule 2' will get tested as there is nothing that stands out for me at the moment that I would pay full price for, though the Trident Yellow (now discontinued?), was appealing to pair with my Orange 'Crush'.

I am in the great position of having a nice collection, I suspect when my major birthday arrives next summer, I will break my own rule and pay full price for something assuming it's a piece I really want.

I am interested in the sale, if I can have the opportunity to browse and access what is available that's all I ask for really.
Johnny
mcb2007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 1

Post by mcb2007 »

I’m not worried about the sale , I will wait until all the ones that end up not being sold on e-bay pop up as NN from CW towers🤪
I am nameless I am shameless, I can be the purist soul with evil as my goal, I can be the story untold.