Panerai

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
JonesNT
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:16 pm

Panerai

Post by JonesNT » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:30 pm

In terms of styling which CW would most closely resemble the above? Thoughts? Thank you.

User avatar
gaf1958
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 9956
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:24 am
CW-watches: 23
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia (ɐᴉɭɐɹʇsnɐ)

Panerai

Post by gaf1958 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:00 pm

The C11 range - the MSL and Makaira are the most Panerai like CWs - although they look like they’ve been crossed with a Bell and Ross...

Image

Image

Image
CWL C1+2xC3+4xC6+3xC7+C11+2xC60K+3xC60T+5xC65+C70+C600
Omega Ω 3xSpeedy+5xSeamaster+DeVille+AT+Dynamic
Zenith+Tudor+2xOris65+4xMagrette+18xSeiko+6xVintage
B&R+Farer+Gavox+Hamilton+LumTec+Mido+MkII+2xSteinhart+2xVisitor+more
Family 11xCW+2xΩ

scanny
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:20 pm
CW-watches: 2
Location: Kuala Lumpur

Re: Panerai

Post by scanny » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:06 pm

A C11 next to a PAM 000 from an older photo.

I used to enjoy the C11 a lot, it wears fairly small to it avoids being pranged off door frames etc.

PAM’s are magnets for a scratch or ding.
F9E4BE9B-ED9F-4BB6-A898-D91682491F51.jpeg

User avatar
Bahnstormer_vRS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 19956
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm
CW-watches: 25
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Pannerai

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:19 pm

scanny wrote:A C11 next to a PAM 000 from an older photo.

I used to enjoy the C11 a lot, it wears fairly small to it avoids being pranged off door frames etc.

PAM’s are magnets for a scratch or ding.
F9E4BE9B-ED9F-4BB6-A898-D91682491F51.jpeg
Wouldn't the C11 look bigger, and more of a match for the PAM, if it was the steel case version?

To my mind the C11 MSLs are too slim to compare with a Panerai (someone will now tell me you can get slim Panerais), and you need the C11 Makaira, preferably the thickest Extreme version, for the better comparison.

Image

Image

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

C2 FLE |C3 Chrono |C4 |C5A MkI |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkII Harrier | C7 Auto Chrono |C70 DBR1
C8 MkI |C8 Reg'tor MkII LE |C8 M2.04LE |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC |C11 Mak Ext
C60 x2 |C60 SH21 x2 | C60 Chrono 300 & P'type |C65 Diver Khaki |C600 |C1000 |W7 BBMF
+1

User avatar
Viognier
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 2898
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 8:16 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Canada

Re: Panerai

Post by Viognier » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:12 pm

Aligned with Gary that the C11 is much closer to a Bell & Ross than a Panerai......that said as far as CW watches go, agree that the C11 is closest but certainly much different
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy

User avatar
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 7610
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:45 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Panerai

Post by Thegreyman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:39 pm

Viognier wrote:Aligned with Gary that the C11 is much closer to a Bell & Ross than a Panerai......that said as far as CW watches go, agree that the C11 is closest but certainly much different
I'd agree the C11 is definitely the closest CW to a Panerai by far. It does resemble the Bell & Ross to an extent in that the C11 is more of a squared case than the Panerai, the C11 hands are also very similar to the B & R which can be seen from @scanny's photo of his collection.

In terms of dimensions the C11 Makaira Pro is near in size to my PAM 510. Although the case diameter is less at 42 vs 44mm, the height of 13.4 vs 14mm and lug to lug of 53.7 vs 53.5mm are almost identical.


ImageImage

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Patrick

C11 Makaira Pro, C60 FLE Scooter Blue, W11(wife)

Some others + a few on the way

User avatar
Bahnstormer_vRS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 19956
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm
CW-watches: 25
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Panerai

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:16 pm

Thegreyman wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:39 pm
. . . . . . . .

In terms of dimensions the C11 Makaira Pro is near in size to my PAM 510. Although the case diameter is less at 42 vs 44mm, the height of 13.4 vs 14mm and lug to lug of 53.7 vs 53.5mm are almost identical.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
That's disturbing news Patrick. :?

I think I ought to just concentrate on my Makaira Extreme and be content. :D

Guy
C2 FLE |C3 Chrono |C4 |C5A MkI |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkII Harrier | C7 Auto Chrono |C70 DBR1
C8 MkI |C8 Reg'tor MkII LE |C8 M2.04LE |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC |C11 Mak Ext
C60 x2 |C60 SH21 x2 | C60 Chrono 300 & P'type |C65 Diver Khaki |C600 |C1000 |W7 BBMF
+1

baldrick
Senior
Senior
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:52 am

Re: Panerai

Post by baldrick » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:09 am

JonesNT wrote:In terms of styling which CW would most closely resemble the above? Thoughts? Thank you.
OP, I'll refer to the gang on which CW looks most like a Panerai but, if you're generally looking for a cheaper alternative to Panerai thay isn't a straight-up copy, I'd suggest looking at Magrette.

Great quality watches from NZ for a decent price, with PAM cues but enough of their own style.
Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


User avatar
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 7610
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:45 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Panerai

Post by Thegreyman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:19 am

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:16 pm
Thegreyman wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:39 pm
. . . . . . . .

In terms of dimensions the C11 Makaira Pro is near in size to my PAM 510. Although the case diameter is less at 42 vs 44mm, the height of 13.4 vs 14mm and lug to lug of 53.7 vs 53.5mm are almost identical.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk
That's disturbing news Patrick. :?

I think I ought to just concentrate on my Makaira Extreme and be content. :D

Guy
Are you getting tempted to join the Panerai club Guy? :lol:

The relative slimness of my Panerai is for the handwound movement. The autos are quite a bit thicker, the auto I was looking at is 18mm for the 44mm case size.

The other main case size that Panerai do is 47mm and I suspect you may prefer that to the 44mm, knowing that you like a watch with some heft/size.
Patrick

C11 Makaira Pro, C60 FLE Scooter Blue, W11(wife)

Some others + a few on the way

User avatar
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 7610
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:45 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Panerai

Post by Thegreyman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:22 am

baldrick wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:09 am
JonesNT wrote:In terms of styling which CW would most closely resemble the above? Thoughts? Thank you.
OP, I'll refer to the gang on which CW looks most like a Panerai but, if you're generally looking for a cheaper alternative to Panerai thay isn't a straight-up copy, I'd suggest looking at Magrette.

Great quality watches from NZ for a decent price, with PAM cues but enough of their own style.
Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I think you're right, the Magrette more resembles the Panerai (certainly in the shape of case) than the C11. There are/have been a few Moana owners on the forum, nice looking watch.
Patrick

C11 Makaira Pro, C60 FLE Scooter Blue, W11(wife)

Some others + a few on the way

User avatar
gaf1958
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 9956
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:24 am
CW-watches: 23
Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia (ɐᴉɭɐɹʇsnɐ)

Re: Panerai

Post by gaf1958 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:52 am

Thegreyman wrote:The other main case size that Panerai do is 47mm and I suspect you may prefer that to the 44mm, knowing that you like a watch with some heft/size.
I think Guy should go for a nice svelte 11mm thick 42mm Radiomir 512 or 620 with either hand wound or automatic movement respectively. The dressy PAM. :)
CWL C1+2xC3+4xC6+3xC7+C11+2xC60K+3xC60T+5xC65+C70+C600
Omega Ω 3xSpeedy+5xSeamaster+DeVille+AT+Dynamic
Zenith+Tudor+2xOris65+4xMagrette+18xSeiko+6xVintage
B&R+Farer+Gavox+Hamilton+LumTec+Mido+MkII+2xSteinhart+2xVisitor+more
Family 11xCW+2xΩ

User avatar
Bahnstormer_vRS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 19956
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm
CW-watches: 25
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Panerai

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:59 am

gaf1958 wrote:
Thegreyman wrote:The other main case size that Panerai do is 47mm and I suspect you may prefer that to the 44mm, knowing that you like a watch with some heft/size.
I think Guy should go for a nice svelte 11mm thick 42mm Radiomir 512 or 620 with either hand wound or automatic movement respectively. The dressy PAM. :)
Nooooooooooo? :shock:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

C2 FLE |C3 Chrono |C4 |C5A MkI |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkII Harrier | C7 Auto Chrono |C70 DBR1
C8 MkI |C8 Reg'tor MkII LE |C8 M2.04LE |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC |C11 Mak Ext
C60 x2 |C60 SH21 x2 | C60 Chrono 300 & P'type |C65 Diver Khaki |C600 |C1000 |W7 BBMF
+1

User avatar
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 11663
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 10:04 am
CW-watches: 11

Re: Panerai

Post by smegwina » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:50 pm

gaf1958 wrote:
Thegreyman wrote:The other main case size that Panerai do is 47mm and I suspect you may prefer that to the 44mm, knowing that you like a watch with some heft/size.
I think Guy should go for a nice svelte 11mm thick 42mm Radiomir 512 or 620 with either hand wound or automatic movement respectively. The dressy PAM. :)
Knackers to that Gary! Image

Guy, be a man and get a 47mm sub. It will be the only watch you need. Image

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk


User avatar
Bahnstormer_vRS
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 19956
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:06 pm
CW-watches: 25
LE-two: 1
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
Location: Hertfordshire, UK

Re: Panerai

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:06 pm

@Smegwina - I take we are talking Submersible not Submariner, Nick, and what about the Deep Sea you advocate I buy? Where does that fit in? :problem:

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

C2 FLE |C3 Chrono |C4 |C5A MkI |C5 BOB LE |C6 |C7 MkII Harrier | C7 Auto Chrono |C70 DBR1
C8 MkI |C8 Reg'tor MkII LE |C8 M2.04LE |C9 FLE |C9 Me109 SPC |C11 Mak Ext
C60 x2 |C60 SH21 x2 | C60 Chrono 300 & P'type |C65 Diver Khaki |C600 |C1000 |W7 BBMF
+1

User avatar
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
Posts: 7610
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 3:45 pm
CW-watches: 3
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Panerai

Post by Thegreyman » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:10 pm

Guy, you can get a Parnis homage to the Panerai in order to "try before you buy", just as you've done with the DSSD. That way you can decide if you are going for the PAM, the Rolex (or both :D ).
Patrick

C11 Makaira Pro, C60 FLE Scooter Blue, W11(wife)

Some others + a few on the way

Post Reply