CW lume quality and C65 Trident GMT

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
downer
CW-watches: 4

CW lume quality and C65 Trident GMT

Post by downer »

^^ It is difficult to ensure these tests are all consistently managed, and therefore, it would not be possible to deduce this is a quality issue.

The key questions would be - how much light was the lime exposed to before your photographs, what type of light and for how long?
Richard
Bugster87
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Re: CW lume quality and C65 Trident GMT

Post by Bugster87 »

I would also say that I exposed my lume to very good light to give it the best chance of performing well. Was initially very bright. This died away quickly to leave a low but still visible glow that was still usable to tell the time 7 hours later.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

^^ this is exactly what I find
Ryan
Rebnats
Senior
Senior

Post by Rebnats »

Should Have Gone to SPECSAVERS :shock:
C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600
C65 Trident GMT.

Tag Heuer McLaren .
Tissot Classic T Touch.
Seiko Starfish.
groovin
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 6

Post by groovin »

Was searching the forum for lume quality on the C65 as I recently received a C65 Trident Automatic which I love and think that it looks wonderful and am glad I got this and not an Oris divers sixty-five.

Having had several CW watches over the past few years I somehow got passively used to the lume quality.
This changed a few weeks ago when instead of getting the divers sixty-five I purchased an Oris Aquis which has C3 lume applied.
Now I must say even compared to Seiko that is another level of lume and I never thought it makes such a difference but even when being outside in the sun it gives such a new dimension to the hour markers.

Have recently found a video that shows what I have experienced and will attach the link below:

https://youtu.be/RP42-kRGluQ

Also attached a picture of what I mean with my particular Oris Aquis.

I will conclude in saying that for me personally lume being either C3 or BGW9 is a must for watches I will be buying in the future especially in the 1.5k+ price bracket.

Love CW and I would be so happy if it would be somehow financially feasible for them to start using such lume quality on at least most of their divers.
IMG_20190703_174147.jpg
Tudor Black Bay | C9 Moonphase | C65 Trident Auto | C9 5 Day Auto | Vulcain Aviator | C60 299 Signal Sqn | Seiko Turtle Blue Lagoon | Oris Aquis | Steinhart Ocean One Gnomon | Zelos Swordfish V2
Granarg

Post by Granarg »

While I love the build quality of CW's watches I gotta say the lume was a bit of letdown
AdDaMan
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by AdDaMan »

Anyone who thinks the lume is a let down (it is) has obviously not yet had a mk3 Trident. The lume on them is AMAZING. Huge step up. Its so so good now.
groovin
Senior
Senior

Post by groovin »

AdDaMan wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:14 am Anyone who thinks the lume is a let down (it is) has obviously not yet had a mk3 Trident. The lume on them is AMAZING. Huge step up. Its so so good now.
You are right I personally haven`t had a mk3 Trident yet to do a personal comparison but that`s why I did some research and especially in the video posted by me earlier starting with minute 5 there is direct comparison between the aquis and the mk3 trident which I must sadly say from my interpretation shows the trident being weaker by a consistent margin.

But I would agree with you that the step up is huge from previous C60 Tridents where the lume was almost nonexistant compared to decent standards. Also having lume on the bezel even though I personally don`t like it can be a big plus for some I suppose.
Tudor Black Bay | C9 Moonphase | C65 Trident Auto | C9 5 Day Auto | Vulcain Aviator | C60 299 Signal Sqn | Seiko Turtle Blue Lagoon | Oris Aquis | Steinhart Ocean One Gnomon | Zelos Swordfish V2
dickopf

Post by dickopf »

AdDaMan wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:14 am Anyone who thinks the lume is a let down (it is) has obviously not yet had a mk3 Trident. The lume on them is AMAZING. Huge step up. Its so so good now.
Do you know if it's C1 or C3?
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

dickopf wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:54 am
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Lume on the C60 Trident Mk3 is "Super-LumiNova® Grade X1 GL C1 hands, indexes and bezel" taken from the 'Features' in the watch description on CW's Website.

Lume on the C65 Trident GMT is "Old radium SuperLumiNova® indexes and hands with green emission" except on the Pepsi version which is "White SuperLumiNova® indexes and hands with green emission".

These will both be less bright than on the C60 Trident Mk3 as;-

1. it is a lower spec lume and
2. there is less of it as the hands and indices are narrower.

Hope this helps.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
ScofieldReturns
Senior
Senior

Post by ScofieldReturns »

i own 2 mk3 atm, lume is a let down. it is better than a lot of lume from other brands and previous versions. however, BGW9 is ridic strong lume, no c1 can hold a candle to it. my last diver (now sold) had BGW9 and i debated hanging onto it just because it's a torch. CW isn't strong or long lasting, i light it up before going to the movies and 30 min in the lume is no longer readable.
groovin
Senior
Senior

Post by groovin »

Any of you know before going all in research mode on the internet what an estimated price difference it is to use BGW9 or C3 instead of the C1 used on the new trident line? Love the looks of the new trident but I always wonder how these decisions are made with smaller/newer brands. Is it always a cost issues or is it a supply chain availability issue?

I mean I love the design on the new Tridents but two of the big advertising points made are: "super nice lume" and "best new researched bezel that holds up to high end market". Now the lume is well an upgrade but still for some substandard and personally I would never trade by old C60 bezel which is rock solid for the movement seen in some of the newer ones in other posts.
dickopf

Post by dickopf »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 am
dickopf wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:54 am

Lume on the C60 Trident Mk3 is "Super-LumiNova® Grade X1 GL C1 hands, indexes and bezel" taken from the 'Features' in the watch description on CW's Website.

Lume on the C65 Trident GMT is "Old radium SuperLumiNova® indexes and hands with green emission" except on the Pepsi version which is "White SuperLumiNova® indexes and hands with green emission".

Hope this helps.

Guy
Thank you Guy, and sorry for my laziness! I should have looked.
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

dickopf wrote:
Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:05 am
dickopf wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:54 am Do you know if it's C1 or C3?

Lume on the C60 Trident Mk3 is "Super-LumiNovaImage Grade X1 GL C1 hands, indexes and bezel" taken from the 'Features' in the watch description on CW's Website.

Lume on the C65 Trident GMT is "Old radium SuperLumiNovaImage indexes and hands with green emission" except on the Pepsi version which is "White SuperLumiNovaImage indexes and hands with green emission".

Hope this helps.

Guy
Thank you Guy, and sorry for my laziness! I should have looked.
No need to apologise.

Always glad to help; besides, it was an opportunity to get the information out in the forum.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England