CW lume quality and C65 Trident GMT

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Willf
CW-watches: 1

CW lume quality and C65 Trident GMT

Post by Willf »

Interested in hearing your views on lume quality on the various models and on the C65 Trident GMT in particular. You can see my review and comments of the C65 GMT posted yesterday on the How’s CW doing and C65 Trident GMT threads in General Discussion.

Will
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Re: CW lume quality and C65 Trident GMT

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

For reference; post from the 'How's CW doing?' thread. Willf's post in the C65 GMT thread is the same (apart from an introductory sentence).
Willf wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:07 pm Hi, new here and thought I’d add a few thoughts re my first CW a C65 GMT which was a surprise Xmas gift from my wife.

My daily wearer has been a 2004 Rolex Submariner 16610 bought in 07. In that time I’ve owned a Rolex date and explorer 1, IWC MK xii, Zenith rainbow flyback, O&W chronograph 7750, Omega seamaster, Seikos, Smith W10 amongst others so I feel I’m well placed to compare quality.

I have wanted a GMT watch for sometime now, but a watch that had a conservative but fresh design with a modest case size and had been looking at CW for a while, obviously overlooked by my wife!!
I’ve spent time looking through the forums and YouTube reviews of the c65 GMT and other than the 41mm really appreciated the fresh take with the slight homage nod to the Exp 2 1655 orange 24 hr hand. I liked the retro look as well as the thinner bezel and yes I love on this CW the name at 9. I think the balance of the dail layout is superb. Is it worth £960 though? My wife thought so seeing how taken I was overall and also used a discount promo offer of £100!

So what do I think 4 days in?

Well the build, fit and quality are superb. It’s the most comfortable watch I’ve worn and the 41mm case doesn’t appear too large on my wrist. The dial is lovely with the markers precisely inset, crisp hands and font. The black enamel 24 numbers are also superb.

Every element of the case is also superbly finished, from the coin edge of the bezel, it’s precise and positive operation to the logo on the crown, caseback, sharp defined edges with polished and brushed finishes to a real quality bracelet with the 8mm ratchet adjustable clasp. Very impressed overall here.

And what about that ETA movement? Has CW refined it? Because as I type and after it was synchronised on Xmas morning it is less than one second slow. Correct less than -1 sec and I’ve been wearing it constantly!

There is however one big problem that is a real issue for me and thats dial legibility.

The hr and minute hand are very slender, same width and in low light it’s hard to read the time as the other issue is the old radium lume. Sure this helps give a lovely vintage look but it is frankly useless. If I artificially charge it up for 30 secs it is legible for less than 10 mins. Or move from a naturally light space to a darker room for instance there is no discernible glow. This is a near on £1000 watch also marketed as a diver, where you go from light to dark as well as a dual time watch! The orange hand is gorgeous in daylight but again is difficult to read again the small black 24 hr numbers in the bezel and suffers the same lume issues.

I have read about poor lume quality on CW but only since owning this watch. Old Radium super LumiNova should be fine so I assume it’s due to poor application as in not enough coats? I’m really sorry to pan this beautiful watch in this way but at this price point and how the watch is marketed it’s just not good enough CW. Have you saved here to spend elsewhere on the watch or you’ve just gone too far with style over functionality?? I’d be interested to get their reply when I contact them.
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

The "Old Radium" is a notorious (as were the period watches) for being weak and CW are not alone in being criticised for using it. I am not sure which super luminova is used on the C60, but I find it adequate for a long night though I usually give it a blast before turning in. The C8PR uses T1 and that also is merely adequate, though the lumed date does not last long which is a pity - could have been better executed I would say since I appreciate the thought.

I think most people would just prefer at least adequate lume (which I would define as legible after 8 hours) even if it is not period authentic.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

In my experience of CW watches I would agree that the lume is adequate but is nowhere near other manufacturers e.g. Seiko.

I'd also echo the sentiment about the C8PR from Nik below
H0rati0 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:23 pm ...The C8PR uses T1 and that also is merely adequate, though the lumed date does not last long which is a pity - could have been better executed I would say since I appreciate the thought.....

nik

Post by Summer »

I owned a C65 diver and i love the color of the lume. My only problem is it fades very quickly. I love to hear about the lume quality on CW watches from you guys as well.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

I understand from scuttlebutt that the only Super Luminova that really makes the grade is C3 which is more or less equivalent to Seiko's Lumibrite - and we all know that is the biz.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Genuine question.....

A bright & vibrant lume looks lovely coming in from outside, in a photo etc etc...

But does anyone actually use/need lume nowadays. I don't think I have ever used it!

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Caller »

Well, I'm on my hols at the mo and I use my watches in the night to check the time, so yes, I use a lume. Same as when I am at home, I don't use a clock.
'Tis me
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Post by smegwina »

Caller wrote:Well, I'm on my hols at the mo and I use my watches in the night to check the time, so yes, I use a lume. Same as when I am at home, I don't use a clock.
Fair enough. I don't wear a watch at night so that wouldn't be an issue for me, and everywhere else I do tend to use clocks.

Good to see that it is not wasted then! :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Tapatalk

mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Here is a picture I took for my C65 Diver review that shows the lume of the C65 GMT, C65 Diver and C60 Trident Vintage. All three have faux vintage lume. I can't really comment on how long the lume lasts, because I never use the lume at night, but the initial lume, IMHO, is acceptable. Not as bright as my Seiko SKX or my Sinn 104, but acceptable.

CW C65 Diver Lume Shot-7843.jpg
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Useful comparison there Malcolm.

A particular point it illustrates is that the hands on the C65 are about half the width of the C60, thus have less room for lume to be applied.

One thing to mention is that lots of bright lume isn't always a good idea. To explain why, let me recount an experience of mine when on holiday in the Autumn.

I had my C60 Trident Chrono with me and purchased a Seiko Samurai whilst away. To test the lume, the Samurai being renowned for 'good' lume, I set them up on my bedside locker to use during the night. No special preparation, I just had them out on the side beforehand.

I went to bed, took my glasses off, and looked at the watches. I could tell the time on the Trident Chrono but the Samurai looked like a mush of light within which I could not differentiate between the hands and the hour markers.

At 6:00am, still dark outside, I could still feintly make out the time on my Trident Chrono, the Samurai was still a feint mush.

Sometimes, less is more.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Willf

Post by Willf »

Nice Pic of the 3 watches and my C65 GMT glows like that if I stick it under a light source too but it really does only last 10 mins or so as legible. 8hrs or more would be a dream but I don't expect that. I would have thought moving from daylight to a darker room it would carry some initial glow from natural light but just doesn't . Not a winter/lume watch then!. I've seen others cite the narrow identical hr/min hands as being too slender to read which I agree with and exacerbate s the problem. I just think at this price point a watch described as a diver as well as dual time zones so there for you d use/read the time more often should deliver this functionality, and a brand that considers itself a luxury one too! Personally I think a white lume would be the way forward and still give a vintage feel.
Willf

Post by Willf »

121FAD8A-8154-4C51-AB41-0C6D1D8714CE.jpeg
90468BF7-A0DA-4907-8C5D-37AF424CABAF.jpeg
A09A1ECF-6A6F-42E8-B661-4C6FDA0D5DAE.jpeg
After holding for 30sec and one inch from old fashioned 60w bulb. Hands show time elapsed. !!!
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Not sure why you’d need a lume at night if you have ........ a mobile phone?

Guess it’s nice as an aesthetic feature.

Great picture of that C65 trident diver btw MVLOW.
Makes we want one even more! :clap:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Willf

Post by Willf »

Well I don't have my mobile in my hand all the time but I do have a watch on my wrist most of it! Interested then if you think a luxury watchmaker can sell a diver/dual time watch costing nearly $1000 that can't perform that function?