Warranty Repairs - Dial replacement?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Big Elf
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Warranty Repairs - Dial replacement?

Post by Big Elf »

I bought a C60 Trident Pro 600 - 42mm just over 3 years ago which seems to have developed a fault. Although it still keeps good time the manual winding mechanism is 'binding' and it's getting harder to wind the watch and it feels sometimes as though the whole mechanism is moving within the case.

I alternate wearing the watch with others in my small collection so do need to manually wind it on occasion plus the fault might develop further and affect the automatic mechanism. At the moment though the automatic winding still appears to function normally.

I've initiated the returns process but it's occurred to me to question whether, if the movement is replaced, it'll retain the original dial which has the CHRWARD branding or whether it would get one of the new style branding dials which I dislike intensely to the point where I wouldn't have it repaired if it entailed replacement and would try and get it fixed at my own cost with another watch repairer.

Can anyone who's gone through a similar returns process who has knowledge of how it works confirm whether the original dial will be retained in the event of a movement replacement?
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Re: Warranty Repairs - Dial replacement?

Post by 0uatiOW »

They’ll inspect the movement and repair or replace if necessary- I wouldn’t expect them to swap out the dial unless it was badly damaged. If you are worried, put a note on the form asking them to contact you first if anything needs replacing.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

I’ve had the same fault (or at least the same symptoms) repaired before. It’s a straight forward repair that doesn’t require a new movement. I’m sure that your dial is safe. It wouldn’t hurt you to request a confirmation of the fault and course of action on your returns form though. (It’ll be in the returns pack).
Steve.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

I'd be astonished if any required movement repair also necessitated a dial replacement. I also can't imagine they would swap a completely different dial on your watch without first contacting you.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Big Elf
Junior
Junior

Post by Big Elf »

Thanks for the responses, very reassuring.

Thermexman - do you know what the particular problem is that causes the difficulty in winding?
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

As far as I'm aware, the rotor spins during winding, usualy due to the reversing wheels becoming gummed up and in need of lubrication. If you persist in winding the watch, as I did, you'll eventually damage the teeth on the ratchet wheel and will not be able to manually wind the watch. You could still shake it into life, as I used to do! :D

As my watch was out of warranty, CW serviced it for £99 plus a small charge of £9.99 for a new ratchet wheel.
Steve.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

I have a similar problem with my watch. it is apparently the reversing wheels. I've never dismantled a watch so don't know the mechanics, but this problem causes the rotor to be driven through the gearing, so it needs sorting to avoid premature wear.
It's a relatively inexpensive repair however.
Big Elf
Junior
Junior

Post by Big Elf »

I forgot to update :oops:

I sent in the watch at the beginning of the month and so far have had 3 emails. One to let me know it'd been received, then next to say a fault had been confirmed and would be repaired under warranty. Current turnaround time is 5 weeks. Latest email was to confirm (after I'd requested it) that they would contact me should any repair require dial replacement.

Thanks again everyone for your input.
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Result!