Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Re: Edinburgh GTG - Chat with Chris - Saturday 19th January 2019

Post by Mikkei4 »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:25 am
Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:10 am I wish I could be more positive about remaining a buying customer.
I remember that feeling a few years ago when they didn't seem to produce anything I liked. It happens from time to time. I compromised on a couple of sticking points and they developed the range.
Thanks for the pep talk but unfortunately my main sticking point is the name at 9 and I really can't envisage CW moving away from that now on any of their major ranges, even though they choose to or are forced to do so when 9 o'clock is filled by something else.

I'm not opposed to the font as IMO it's just a purely boring and inoffensive font that is ok when centre justified at 12 but being left-justified at 9 is contrary to my eyes and brains need for symmetry or the look of symmetry. I'm aware that's my choice but it's something I can't compromise on which is why my 2017 FLE doesn't get worn so might as well be put up for sale.

I'll continue on here and to look forward to CW news and discussion but I think I'm safe spending any money elsewhere for the foreseeable future, which is a shame as the base products, i.e the watches like the Trident and C65, are well made and VFM and I would be buying them but for what I consider an eye-sore. Sorry again.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

welshlad wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:44 am
Jcalder68 wrote:I’m part way through watching the YouTube link and am very interested by the Trident 3 - potentially a more sculpted case design like the C65, but as robust as a C60 and with exceptional lume, that’s got to be a winner!
My only prayer is that they have a choice in case sizes as they do now with some C60s. Personally, because the case on the C60 is relatively thick and slab-sided, I prefer the 38mm sizes over the 43mm beasts. However, I can accommodate a 41mm sized C65 thanks to its thinner, more elegant case geometry.
Time will tell, but I’m already allocating funds!

C
There will be 3 sizes: 38mm, 40mm and 42mm.

And the new case design is not at all slab-sided. It has echoes of the lines from the C65 case, but is more "robust" to accommodate the higher water resistance rating.
Great news if they have moved on by producing a 40mm, now let's work on moving the name off 9 o'clock.
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

TheBeatles wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:15 pm
Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:03 pm ^^^C65 Pepsi GMT...very nice!
Not for me, I’m afraid. I prefer the high gloss look of the C60 ceramic bezels.

Does everyone like it, or am I the first dissenters? :D
I don't like it either (see my prior post) although maybe for slightly different reasons to you. Not having the high gloss ceramic bezel is a good point though.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by StrappedUp »

Being an owner of the steel GMT, the style certainly works for me. :D

I'd much prefer the original though. The engraved/filled steel bezel looks classier imo and as I suspected, the vintage lume works better for me on the C65.
Ryan
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Does everyone like it, or am I the first dissenters? :D
I think that it’s nondescript. To me the weakest looking of any of the new case C65 watches. I like most aspects of all the other C65 diver/GMT range.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

Same for me. I bought my Trident (red bezel) when I was craving a Tudor Black Bay. It scratched the itch nicely, and I still wear it all the time. I'm now craving a Black Bay GMT and I was hoping this may do the trick. But sadly not and I'm afraid it's that text placement again.

I was starting to get over it and when there is something more prominent at 12 to balance the dial I'm tempted, but with all that space in the top half of the dial...just not for me. My next watch will definitely be a GMT, but sadly, not this one.
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
iain
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by iain »

I’ve had chance to watch the video as I was unable to do so live. Very interesting discussion, thanks to everyone who organised and thanks to Guy for directly asking the question I posted in the questions thread.
Iain’s Law: Any discussion on the Christopher Ward forum, irrespective of the thread title or subject matter, will eventually lead to someone mentioning the Bel Canto if the thread continues for long enough.
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

StrappedUp wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:26 pm I'd much prefer the original though. The engraved/filled steel bezel looks classier imo...
This. I don't know why they couldn’t do this with the Pepsi, it would look so much better with a bit of depth and texture.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-two: yes

Post by mabotham »

I can't see the face clearly on the new c60. It definitely needs the twin flag design at 12 to balance the face

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

neilj568
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by neilj568 »

mabotham wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:11 pm I can't see the face clearly on the new c60. It definitely needs the twin flag design at 12 to balance the face

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The new Trident C60 will have the twin flags at 12 as well as other changes
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Viognier »

nbg wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:54 pm

I think that it’s nondescript. To me the weakest looking of any of the new case C65 watches. I like most aspects of all the other C65 diver/GMT range.

Neil
^ +1 for me as well Neil. For my eyes I agree the C65 Pepsi is nondescript and I find the silver bezel just a bit too plain for me. I’m more in the camp of a C60 Pepsi bezel similar to the one we saw in their line up back in 2012.
Small collection of timepieces that I enjoy
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:18 pm
Thanks for the pep talk but unfortunately my main sticking point is the name at 9 and I really can't envisage CW moving away from that now on any of their major ranges, even though they choose to or are forced to do so when 9 o'clock is filled by something else.
Not really an attempt at a pep talk, and no need to apologise for your views as expressed in your eloquent post.

To tell the truth, the current logo is my least favourite, but it won't stop me buying a watch I really like such as the C65 Diver range. For me that would be cutting off my nose to spite my face. You, however, are perfectly entitled to see it as you do.

The original logo was...meh...OK, but (and I know I'm in a minority) I absolutely loved the CHR. WARD version. I'd gladly have that on all my CW watches.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I’m with Steve on this. My favourite logo is the V2 ChrWard one, but I own both V1 and V3 logo watches. I buy the watch, rather than the logo (a take on the similar sentiment about seller and watches), although with C60s, I have all V2s - at the moment.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Misterchrono
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Misterchrono »

shirehorse wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:51 pm You could try watching with closed captions (or subtitles as I know them!).
Thank you !
I decided to painstakingly watch the whole stream.
The subtitles were not a big help. The questions from the audience were whispered and solely mike frances was transcripted, who I perfectly understood. (May I suggest to Mr ward and ellis to speak louder and distinctively next time).
BUT the youtube flow was helpful to understand the laughters and the global ambiance.

A big thank to CW letting its customer have an insight of their prefered brand.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

hughesyn wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:39 pm
Essex Paul wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:22 pm
Very nice. What was in goodie bag?
A mug, a service pod and a 38mm C60.
Was there really a C60 in each goodie bag, or is this a joke?!
Drew