Anal retentives unite!

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Anal retentives unite!

Post by Thermexman »

Just read a post about someone purchasing a watch from a seller who he described as an “anal retentive collector”. I’m sure it wasn’t meant to be derogatory but it made me wonder how we can sometimes be perceived.

I look after all my possessions, in order to make them last. It probably harks back to my childhood, when we didn’t have much and what we did have, was cherished.

Don’t get me wrong, my watches get worn but I am careful with them. I save all the boxes, paperwork etc.

If I sold you a watch, it would come with all the required accoutrements and a full history. This would hopefully give you added confidence when purchasing. Something most of us look for, I’m sure.

Reminds me of the time I sold a car that we’d owned for some years, to a work colleague. I supplied an immaculate car, complete with full service history and all receipts. I’d even put brand new tyres, exhaust & radiator on it, to help with the sale.

The guy saw the add on our notice board and came into my office and bought it, sight unseen, without even test driving it. He said he knew it’d be fine, due to all the evidence I cited in my add and my reputation for looking after my cars. It clearly gave him confidence and peace of mind!

He then went on to tell everyone how “anal retentive and OCD” I was. He even collared me, 3 yrs later, to moan that the starter motor had recently failed and would I contribute to the cost!!

Not sure if that was a wind up or not?

He clearly appreciated my attention to detail, when he was buying but chose to mock it at every opportunity.

Anyway, got me pondering the following questions:
1) are you the “anal retentive” type, who provides all the boxes, paperwork and provenance for your watches?
2) are you a person who appreciates buying from those types of sellers.
3) do you think life’s too short and there’s something wrong with me?
4) what does “anal retentive” mean?

Be nice now!
Steve.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Re: Anal retentives unite!

Post by H0rati0 »

1. Yes
2. Absolutely
3. Life may possibly be too short or too long but from your description there doesn't seem to be much wrong - which maybe doesn't mean much!
4. Freud made it all up anyway.

Chill, you're in good (or is it bad) company! 8)

PS the starter motor guy was taking the **** - I hope you told him to get stuffed?
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

I’m definitely all as described. Anal retentive/OCD/thorough or whatever it’s called when it comes to selling (or buying).
I’ve never sold a watch but if i ever did then the same would apply to selling a car, which I have.
I supply everything, old invoices old unused parts the lot!
That’s because I’d like to be on the other end, having the person give me all records and everything that comes with it. Gives me confidence.
I’d rather buy from an OCD seller. Can’t go wrong.
I keep everything that’s to do with a car/watch.
Even the bag from the watch shop I bought it from.
I’ve even kept the CW bag from when I visited the showroom.
Also, easier to sell it too.
So no, not derogatory at all.

Therefore;

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No
4) Means caring for your possessions.
5) Say to him “Whats a starter motor?” :lol:
:thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Molan
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by Molan »

Thermexman wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:00 pm
Reminds me of the time I sold a car that we’d owned for some years, to a work colleague. I supplied an immaculate car, complete with full service history and all receipts. I’d even put brand new tyres, exhaust & radiator on it, to help with the sale.

The guy saw the add on our notice board and came into my office and bought it, sight unseen, without even test driving it. He said he knew it’d be fine, due to all the evidence I cited in my add and my reputation for looking after my cars. It clearly gave him confidence and peace of mind!
Funnily enough I once did something similar but describing faults rather than it being perfect condition.

It was an old '79 Merc SL that had a serious rust problem. I photographed every single spot of rust, including those that weren't easily visible, and mentioned a few other things that had some minor issues.

Someone saw my ad & immediately offered me the full asking price and paid in advance of even seeing the car. On the day he was coming to collect I said I'd fill the oil & stick enough petrol in it so he could drive home. I somehow forgot to put the cap back on the oil filler and when he opened the bonnet there was oil everywhere because I'd driven it to get petrol. Luckily the oil filler cap was still sitting on top of the engine.

Most people would have taken one look and assumed there was a major engine fault and oil leak but he just said that my description of all the faults was so scrupulously honest that he completely trusted me and wasn't worried at all about the oil spillage!

I pretty much keep every box and paperwork from everything I buy - as my wife regularly brings up when she asks me to find something in the loft and I struggle to track anything down because there are so many boxes up there!
About 6 Christopher Wards, Omega, Tudor, Halios, Breitling, Bremont, Rado, TAG Heuer, Nomos, Hamilton, Sternglas
kiter65
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by kiter65 »

1.yes
2.yes
3.no
4. :-?
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

Thermexman wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:00 pm
Anyway, got me pondering the following questions:
1) are you the “anal retentive” type, who provides all the boxes, paperwork and provenance for your watches?
2) are you a person who appreciates buying from those types of sellers.
3) do you think life’s too short and there’s something wrong with me?
4) what does “anal retentive” mean?
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes (too short) No (nothing wrong with you)
4) See diagram below (A- efficient person, B- Perfectionist, C- Anally retentive person - allegedly)
Attachments
Untitled.png
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

Watches and cars are completely different things as far as I am concerned.

With watches I keep boxes and papers, at least I do now. I would possibly buy a cheap watch from somebody I trusted without box and papers, but not a valuable one.

Cars: I drive them, fill them with fuel, have them cleaned occasionally by the lads at the car wash, take them for service when the dealer emails me, and hand them back after three years when the PCP runs out. No interest.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Danbailey007
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by Danbailey007 »

Essex Paul wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:05 pm I’m definitely all as described. Anal retentive/OCD/thorough or whatever it’s called when it comes to selling (or buying).
I’ve never sold a watch but if i ever did then the same would apply to selling a car, which I have.
I supply everything, old invoices old unused parts the lot!
That’s because I’d like to be on the other end, having the person give me all records and everything that comes with it. Gives me confidence.
I’d rather buy from an OCD seller. Can’t go wrong.
I keep everything that’s to do with a car/watch.
Even the bag from the watch shop I bought it from.
I’ve even kept the CW bag from when I visited the showroom.
Also, easier to sell it too.
So no, not derogatory at all.

Therefore;

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No
4) Means caring for your possessions.
5) Say to him “Whats a starter motor?” :lol:
:thumbup:
+1 same here.
Dan

Citizen Eco-Drive
Elliot Brown Tyneham
Multiple Fossil
CW C60 Bronze
Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra
Omega Seamaster 300M No Time To Die
Omega x Swatch MoonSwatch - Moon & Venus & Mars
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

My first thought when I saw that was whether the buyer would have bought a similar watch from somebody that hadn’t taken so much care of it or bought a watch that was damaged because it hadn’t been a valued possession, especially as it was bought at a good price.

I think I would have expressed just how fortunate I was to find such a watch and given thanks that somebody had taken a higher level of care of the item. Maybe the “anal retentive collector” comment was written in jest and the 2 dimensional aspect of the written word is insufficient to express that.

Anyhow, if anal retention is keeping all the paperwork, boxes, cleaning cloths, service reports, MOTs etc etc that proves (or improves?) the provenance of any purchase then yes I am anally retentive.

However the definition of anally retentive is “a person who pays such attention to detail that it becomes an obsession and may be an annoyance to others, potentially to the detriment of the anal-retentive person.

So No I’m not AR because it’s not an obsession and it’s not detrimental to me.

It’s just that I’m meticulous about taking care of something I value, I’m shrewd because I retain anything that will add to the value of the item should I ever want or need to sell it, I’m wise because I learnt from previous experience that for example a mint boxed DINKY/CORGI model car is worth more and is more sought after by others than a bashed up one that’s not in the unmarked original box.

In watch terms I've looked at various watch re-sellers websites regularly but would never buy anything that didn’t have the original box AND paperwork.

I’m too far along now to change my ways and I couldn’t anyway even if I wanted to do so as it would annoy me. Oooo, maybe I am AR then?
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Mikkei4 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:15 pm
In watch terms I've looked at various watch re-sellers websites regularly but would never buy anything that didn’t have the original box AND paperwork.
I'm with you and it's the best measure. Oh, and keep the damn stuff pristine, I mean, how hard is it?

I did pick up a "steal" Trident without all the papers, though with box and while I was lucky with the watch itself, it was not the best experience as it was all a bit slipshod.

Do as you would be done by. All it takes it a little thought and consideration.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
DerekMc
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by DerekMc »

I know the post you refer to :lol:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. If by my meaning, then, It is a person who cares for items of beauty and or value (as well as anything in life that person values) and respects the priviledge of being able to enjoy it.

A real example I take fastidious care of my car, it's a lease not owned but as it is, by extension,reflection of me, and if I take a client out in it I want them to see a clean professional tidy mind and person.

I have a collection of watches and even my cheap ones (by comparison) from Tissot, have no desk dives, scuffs dirt in the crevices, the bracelet gets removed, cleaned and lubricated etc etc,

I mean "anal retentive" in collecter circles as the ultimate in compliments, I actually don't think I could describe a fellow enthusiast in a more glowing term if I am honest.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Trident Pro 600 Black ceramic old logo
Trident Pro 600 Blue ceramic
C9 Harrison

Tissot x 2
Ebel Sport Classic
richtel
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 8

Post by richtel »

You, Sir, are very much not alone.

As one does, I often look through the online auction sites for any bargainous watch-related goodies. So often either
1- The photos are absolutely rubbish, out of focus, taken in moonlight, smeary, only show one angle, don't show the box condition or whether the spare links are provided, or, and this is the main one,
2, The watch photographed is still encrusted with minging layers of dirt or, most likely, human debris.

Now I don't know about you, but if I see something offered for sale that clearly the owner can't be arsed to clean up for sale, that indicates to me that the owner probably hasn't been arsed to look after it either. In my poor, deluded, equally anally-retentive mind (nope, still don't know what that means), that indicates a certain sub-species with whom I really don't want to deal with.

Stereotyping, social characterisation, bigotted and prejudicial, probably. About to buy something that resembles an armpit, nope.
Rich

"The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you're the pilot."
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

richtel wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:12 pm You, Sir, are very much not alone.

As one does, I often look through the online auction sites for any bargainous watch-related goodies. So often either
1- The photos are absolutely rubbish, out of focus, taken in moonlight, smeary, only show one angle, don't show the box condition or whether the spare links are provided, or, and this is the main one,
2, The watch photographed is still encrusted with minging layers of dirt or, most likely, human debris.

Now I don't know about you, but if I see something offered for sale that clearly the owner can't be arsed to clean up for sale, that indicates to me that the owner probably hasn't been arsed to look after it either. In my poor, deluded, equally anally-retentive mind (nope, still don't know what that means), that indicates a certain sub-species with whom I really don't want to deal with.

Stereotyping, social characterisation, bigotted and prejudicial, probably. About to buy something that resembles an armpit, nope.
Beautifully worded :D and exactly correct.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

I guess I’m among like minded individuals. Nice to know it’s not just me. :thumbup:
Steve.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

While I prefer a full, boxed set, I have been known to take an “educated” punt on some of the out of focus, cruddy looking watches. Sometimes they come up trumps; I’ve even had a couple with the box and papers unexpectedly included (but not mentioned or photographed). At other times it’s a bit of a wash up, but I only ever buy something like that if the price is very low.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier