Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DerekMc
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

First time buyer advice

Post by DerekMc »

Hi All,

Just joined as I am in the position of now seeking out my first CW Trident, and am torn between a brand new C60 quartz or going for one from the used page of the website in my much preferred blue.

Any advice to offer a newbie on which would be the better watch to buy?
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Trident Pro 600 Black ceramic old logo
Trident Pro 600 Blue ceramic
C9 Harrison

Tissot x 2
Ebel Sport Classic
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Re: First time buyer advice

Post by Thegreyman »

Hi Derek and welcome to the forum.

If, by the website, you mean the CW website, then the nearly new watches are usually indistinguishable from a new watch and carry the same 60:60 guarantee ie 60 days to return and 5 year movement guarantee.

Personally I would go for the auto over quartz, I prefer the subtly different look and the fact it is a mechanical watch.

Whatever you choose, a Trident is a great watch.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
DerekMc
Senior
Senior

Post by DerekMc »

Thanks,

I have had a few Auto's in the past and my only slight reservation being that I tend to wear four watches (including this one) on rotation and the good thing I suppose in a quartz is that it remains pretty much accurate over a weekly rota, but, I adore the latest deep blue bezel and dial it just ticks a huge box on my wish list.
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
C9 Harrison

Tissot x 2
Ebel Sport Classic
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

It ticks, full stop. If you’re concerned about keeping an auto going you could always invest in a winder.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

DerekMc wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:22 pm Thanks,

I have had a few Auto's in the past and my only slight reservation being that I tend to wear four watches (including this one) on rotation and the good thing I suppose in a quartz is that it remains pretty much accurate over a weekly rota, but, I adore the latest deep blue bezel and dial it just ticks a huge box on my wish list.
I tend to do the same, rotating watches throughout the day depending on what I am doing. I use a four hole winder that I acquired a couple of months ago (to replace an old cranky one) and it does a good job of keeping the watches I want to wear running and set - I tested it with one of my autos that has a power reserve and complications, it kept it fully charged on the 900 turns a day setting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Uhrenbeweger ... 2749.l2649

After a lot of research I chose this one finally because it seemed very cost effective, then tested it for two weeks before deciding it was good enough - it sticks in the craw to pay as much for a winder as for a good watch. I can also report that construction and finish are more than acceptable. If it had not been up to it I would have bought a Benson, which get good reviews. I hope that helps if you consider a winder.
Attachments
IMG_0376.jpg
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Waiting for the sales section is always a gamble.
You could be waiting forever, checking the site then only one comes up. I know saving money is everyone’s wish but if you want it buy it.
The interest free option is handy, I’ve used it.

As for quartz. Not my cup of tea being an auto fan.
But, I can see your point. Alternating four is a juggling act unless you have winders. Having a quartz will be handy.
As for the Trident, great looking watch and well made.If I didn’t have a dive watch already then I’d certainly get the CW version. Probably black although blue is a good look. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
MarkingTime
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by MarkingTime »

Regardless of movement, CW watches are superb quality for the price.

Personally, I'd go nearly new and get the watch you like the look of, otherwise you might not want to wear it so much.
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

I'd always go auto over quartz. I hate the tick of a quartz, but love the sweep of a mechanical movement. I rotate through around 20 watches, so they've nearly always stopped when I pick them up. It's no biggie and is worth it to avoid the tick.....but that's just me.

One big thing that would swing it for me is that, if I recall correctly, the quartz has an aluminium bezel and the auto a ceramic bezel. The ceramic really is a step up and makes such a difference to the quality, look and feel of the watch, but you've already had the best advice. Get the one you like the most!
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Welcome to the forum. I own / have owned many of both the quartz and automatic. The quart is slightly lighter but the auto has a lovely ceramic bezel, nicer (IMO) hour markers with much better lume. 30% off makes the auto a very attractive proposition,e specially as you like the blue...

But act quick, the 30% off offers sell out quickly, sometimes incredibly quickly.
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Macdaz
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 14

Post by Macdaz »

gaf1958 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:16 pm30% off makes the auto a very attractive proposition, especially as you like the blue...
But act quick, the 30% off offers sell out quickly, sometimes incredibly quickly.
That exactly! I've just checked the pages and the price difference is negligible. That NN Trident on a bracelet is an absolute steal...Get it bought!
SMP|Victorinox Groundforce|Mako/XL|Steinhart OVM|Smiths Everest|C60 Trident 600|C8 Pilot Mk2|Vostok 1965|C8 Flyer Mk1|Seiko Monster|C7 Rapide|Steinhart Aviation|C65 GMT|C9 AMGTLE|C60 Bronze|C8 Al Deere|C65 SC|C63 GMT|C65 Chrono|C63 Auto|C65 Dune|2023 FLE
DerekMc
Senior
Senior

Post by DerekMc »

Thanks everyone, Despite seeing the Blue Pro on the website I do prefer the detail on the dial of the quartz too and it might be a self fulfilling prophecy when I call them today.
C9 Harrison

Tissot x 2
Ebel Sport Classic
DerekMc
Senior
Senior

Post by DerekMc »

Well sadly I have missed out I tried to buy the Blue Pro from the website but it has been sold! I don't have the budget for new so I guess I need to watch the sales board and good old ebay!
C9 Harrison

Tissot x 2
Ebel Sport Classic
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

The blue has been in and out of the NN section for a couple of weeks now.

Keep checking back regularly and hopefully one will crop up.
Ryan
Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

StrappedUp wrote:The blue has been in and out of the NN section for a couple of weeks now.

Keep checking back regularly and hopefully one will crop up.
Sound advice.

Also keep an eye on discussion in the forum, as new stock in the NN section frequently gets mentioned here.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia XZ Premium using Tapatalk

In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

DerekMc wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:14 am Well sadly I have missed out I tried to buy the Blue Pro from the website but it has been sold! I don't have the budget for new so I guess I need to watch the sales board and good old ebay!
This has just popped up on ebay if you're interested:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Christopher- ... rk:14:pf:0

Black face with royal blue bezel, looks quite smart.

Good luck in your search!
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)