Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Thegreyman
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: How is CW doing? A personal view.

Post by Thegreyman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:46 pm

A fine quartet of watches there Steve.

My own impression is that CW has remained fairly true to its original ethos, of producing an interesting and wide range of value for money watches.

Where the company is now, they have possibly narrowed the range slightly, but have certainly increased the quality (and of course price) of their watches, however still representing value for money in terms of bang per buck. A couple of examples of recognition of this being the recent Urban Gentry review of the C65 Trident GMT, the GPHG inclusion of the C7 Apex.

I think CW had to up their game in terms of quality and average selling price, as it is fairly clear from their accounts of the last few years, they are not making much, if any profit, which of course for the what they have achieved in terms of building a popular watch brand, they deserve to. So if they can up the price, but justify that through improved design and build quality, then it should be win win hopefully for the consumer and their financial results.

As others have said, when you own some of the higher end pieces, you do feel there are some marginal gains in terms of quality of build and finish but they are very fine margins, especially when compared to the CW current range. Only each of us individually can judge whether the cost of the Tudors, Omega, Rolexes of this world are justifiable to us.
Patrick

C11 Makaira Pro, C60 FLE Scooter Blue, C60 Kingfisher LE, W11(wife)

Some others + a few on the way

rcherryuk
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes

Post by rcherryuk » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Personally I think they are doing well, new advertising campaign will drive a new generation of customers their way.

And, if they keep up their newly improved customer service and low cost repairs on 10yr old pieces they will do well there too.
Just no more Logo-Gate eh?
Rob

Watches are like Dictionaries; the worst is better than none, and the best cannot be expected to go quite true.
Samuel Johnson

Watchamacallit
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 4

Post by Watchamacallit » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:14 pm

An excellent collection and thanks for posting them. It helps brings home my own personal taste in watches, in that if you had asked me 5-10 years ago which of these four models that I liked best it would have been the Omega Speedmaster and CW GMT diver without question. Ask me today and it would be the opposite, meaning I most prefer the Cartier Tank and C65.

Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:54 pm

CW are doing pretty well IMO.

The cases are 100% better than the original releases as they have much better and more attractive profiles now (i.e. less straight sided) and the vast majority of the dial designs are excellent, although not necessary to my exact taste but that's to be expected.

I haven't seen the releases since the C65 Diver came out as I've not been to the Showroom recently but the quality of what I had held prior to that was very good and still VFM.

For me there's been a few snippets of information regarding 2019 releases that keep me interested although everything else about anything new would have to look perfect for me to buy so I could hopefully ignore the logo at 9. That's my problem I know as it's not an issue to hundreds of other buyers but it's just my mind's and eyes' need for symmetry.

gaf1958
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 16

Post by gaf1958 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:56 pm

Mikkei4 wrote:....anything new would have to look perfect for me to buy so I could hopefully ignore the logo at 9. That's my problem I know as it's not an issue to hundreds of other buyers but it's just my mind's and eyes' need for symmetry.
Although I wasn’t particularly vocal about it on the forum, I was quite hesitant about buying anything with the new logo, as in the photos, it just seemed ... wrong. I’ve only owned two - the latest FLE and a C65 diver.

In real life I only noticed the logo when I specifically looked for it, then my reaction was that it was largely irrelevant. It’s there, but I really don’t notice its placement, certainly don’t notice the font - it’s quite small really.

Placement is the big question mark for me - still. The watches I own have other things that distract the eye from the logo placement. The FLE has two subdials at 12 and 6 and the C65, likewise, has two large numbers at 12 and 6. These divert the eye and attention from the 9 o’clock logo placement - I still can’t help but wonder whether a watch without this will still look fine to me. I guess I’ll find out, as it certainly doesn’t seem to be a reason not to buy one. Hopefully Image
CWL C1+2xC3+4xC6+C11+2xC60K+3xC60T+C65LE+C65Diver+C70+C600
Omega Ω 3xSpeedy+5xSeamaster+DeVille+AT+Dynamic
Zenith+Tudor+2xOris65+4xMagrette+18xSeiko+6xVintage
B&R+Farer+Gavox+Hamilton+LumTec+Mido+MkII+2xSteinhart+2xVisitor+more
Family 11xCW+2xΩ

gaf1958
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 16

Post by gaf1958 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:07 am

.... and to bring it back on topic, I feel that CW is doing very well, albeit appealing to a different market segment than they did 10 years ago. They’ve gone somewhat upmarket, but the quality has undoubtedly improved along with that move, as has the design maturity, with the new cases being something many of the more established brands could be producing. The dial designs have matured, and bring a more consistent brand “DNA”, although at the expense of some of the “fun” designs that marked their earlier models.

One of the big things that they’ve achieved is that they’ve always been a broad spectrum company, with quite a range - they’re not simply a dive watch company. They still produce a wider range than many more established brands and I think that is one of their biggest strengths.
CWL C1+2xC3+4xC6+C11+2xC60K+3xC60T+C65LE+C65Diver+C70+C600
Omega Ω 3xSpeedy+5xSeamaster+DeVille+AT+Dynamic
Zenith+Tudor+2xOris65+4xMagrette+18xSeiko+6xVintage
B&R+Farer+Gavox+Hamilton+LumTec+Mido+MkII+2xSteinhart+2xVisitor+more
Family 11xCW+2xΩ