Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Update first 5 days. My brand new C1 GM PR

Post by Essex Paul »

Hi all,

Need your thoughts gang.
As you know I purchased my C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve last Thursday.
Though I’d give it a test run for my first 5 days.
I should add that I didn’t wear it, it sat in my watch pod after giving it a full wind as I wanted to review the full 5 day reserve.
I checked every 24 hours and these are the results.
This is s COSC watch remember.

Day 1 +4 secs. Ok!
Day 2 +10 secs. +6 secs ok!
Day 3. +16 secs. +6 secs ok
Day 4 +30 secs. +14 secs. WTF?
Day 5. +45 secs. +15 secs. AGAIN WTF??

So average +9 secs a day.
I didn’t use a timergraph but happy I’m quite accurate.

So what do you all think?
It’s obviously running too fast! Is it because it’s new and needs breaking in?
Or it’s not been on the wrist?

Is this normal? Opinions please, answers on a postcard. :lol:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Re: Update first 5 days. My brand new C1 GM PR

Post by H0rati0 »

First off, yes it needs breaking in.

Second, position makes a huge difference. It may be yours does not appreciate face up - my C8PR does not either.

Third, you can only expect COSC performance for the first three days (as the power runs down the watch should gain) on SH21.

I think yours is about right but run in for a couple of weeks and wear it, then measure. Also, you might have a look at the COSC certificate and see which position is best for it. But in practice, a watch will usually run best on the wrist, my C8 certainly does. I get about 2 seconds loss a day when wearing, but in the safe (watch box) face up it's 6-8 seconds loss. Face down it is about spot on, maybe a second a day loss - of course I can't tell the time then!

Good luck

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

H0rati0 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:24 pm First off, yes it needs breaking in.

Second, position makes a huge difference. It may be yours does not appreciate face up - my C8PR does not either.

Third, you can only expect COSC performance for the first three days (as the power runs down the watch should gain) on SH21.

I think yours is about right but run in for a couple of weeks and wear it, then measure. Also, you might have a look at the COSC certificate and see which position is best for it. But in practice, a watch will usually run best on the wrist, my C8 certainly does. I get about 2 seconds loss a day when wearing, but in the safe (watch box) face up it's 6-8 seconds loss. Face down it is about spot on, maybe a second a day loss - of course I can't tell the time then!

Good luck

nik
Cheers Nik!
Phew mind at rest.
FYI it was rested crown up, should’ve slowed it a bit but everything you say makes sense.
Will wear on wrist and test again.
Interesting you say only good for first 3 days.
One would expect it to run close to COSC as long as it had power? My Rolex’s run to cosc right up until dying.
But as you say should be worn. :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I think comparing a Rolex with a twin barrel SH21 is not do-able as the compromises are different and anyway, some SH21s do run COSC more or less all the way - depending on what one means by staying within COSC tolerance (-4/+6 seconds) meaning you can have up to 10 seconds a day variation and still be inside. Given your watch starts out running fast, it probably runs a little too fast towards the end of the reserve, whereas if it ran slow to start with, over the whole 120 hours you are in with a better chance as the offsets cancel (slow becomes fast) as the mainsprings run down.

Despite the vagaries and imperfections, give me a mechanical any day - quartz just does not cut it for me even if it is an engineering marvel like a Grand Seiko or radio/GPS timed. Super accurate, but :schlafen:

cheers

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

H0rati0 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:53 pm I think comparing a Rolex with a 5 day SH21 is not do-able as the compromises are different and anyway, some SH21s do run COSC more or less all the way - depending on what one means of staying within tolerance (-4/+6) by COSC as remember you can have up to 10 seconds a day variation and still be inside. In general given your watch starts out running fast, it probably runs a little too fast towards the end of the reserve, whereas if it ran slow to start with, over the whole 120 hours you are probably in with a better chance with the gaining as the mainsprings run down.

Despite the vagaries, give me a mechanical any day!

cheers

nik
Thanks for your input Nik and agreed, give me a mechanical anyday. :thumbup:

Anyone else? Kip, you have a C1 GM PR. Wanna chip in?

Thanks.
C65 Trident Diver Blue
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

Just confirming about the 3 days COSC comment - CW have said that it’s COSC only with a minimum of 2 day power reserve left, or in other words, the first 3 days from a full wind...

That’s quite normal. COSC testing specifies that watch must have a significant portion of their power charge for the testing to be valid - I can’t remember the percentage and I don’t want to make up a new statistic on the spot. ;)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

gaf1958 wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:11 am Just confirming about the 3 days COSC comment - CW have said that it’s COSC only with a minimum of 2 day power reserve left, or in other words, the first 3 days from a full wind...

That’s quite normal. COSC testing specifies that watch must have a significant portion of their power charge for the testing to be valid - I can’t remember the percentage and I don’t want to make up a new statistic on the spot. ;)
Thanks! Sounds like my watch is just fine. :clap:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Kelderek
CW-watches: 3

Post by Kelderek »

My C1 GM PR behaves the same way:

Perfectly within COSC tolerances when within 2-3 days of fully wound. Near the end of the power reserve, it speeds up slighlty.

Position also has an influence. My watch runs slightly slower when face down. The COSC certificate clearly shows this is the case. Not a huge difference (about 1 sec per day), but I have confirmed it when testing storing the watch in different positions when not wearing it.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I have had my C1 GMPR for almost 2 years now. While it is not a daily wear it does see frequent wrist time and I have not noticed anything that would suggest my watch is not accurate.

I am not all that concerned with accuracy as I change watches frequently and don't need, or am I concerned if a watch varies by a few seconds. I do tend to check them when they arrive and the C1 GMPR was no different. My initial results for a full wind were 122 hours 19 minutes run time with a total variation of +4 seconds. I did change the watch position daily over the test period. I haven't checked it since.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Kip wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:49 am I have had my C1 GMPR for almost 2 years now. While it is not a daily wear it does see frequent wrist time and I have not noticed anything that would suggest my watch is not accurate.

I am not all that concerned with accuracy as I change watches frequently and don't need, or am I concerned if a watch varies by a few seconds. I do tend to check them when they arrive and the C1 GMPR was no different. My initial results for a full wind were 122 hours 19 minutes run time with a total variation of +4 seconds. I did change the watch position daily over the test period. I haven't checked it since.
Kelderek wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:34 am My C1 GM PR behaves the same way:

Perfectly within COSC tolerances when within 2-3 days of fully wound. Near the end of the power reserve, it speeds up slighlty.

Position also has an influence. My watch runs slightly slower when face down. The COSC certificate clearly shows this is the case. Not a huge difference (about 1 sec per day), but I have confirmed it when testing storing the watch in different positions when not wearing it.
Thank you gents.
Will wear and keep an eye on it. :thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

On the wrist now with full charge.
+ 8 secs after 3 days.
+2.6 per day.

All good.

:thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Cool. They do need a little time to settle and like to be used.

Pleased that you are happy.

nik
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

H0rati0 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:46 pm Cool. They do need a little time to settle and like to be used.

Pleased that you are happy.

nik
Well, was ok for the first 3 days off the wrist TBH.
But the 4th-5th day of running fast due to low power threw me a bit that’s all as it pushed the average up to +9 over the 5 days.
Doesn’t happen to my other movements with low power but hey.

So I guess the moral of the story is to wear it and keep the power reserve up!

:thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue