World Timer, Ombre, Acan - Value for money

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

World Timer, Ombre, Acan - Value for money

Post by mvlow »

Every time there is a new release of a CW watch there tends to be a lot of discussion about design elements people would like to be done differently and things that appear to be wrong with the watch. I am guilty of jumping in on these conversations and adding my two cents.

I was just watching a video on Youtube by Federico Does Watches, where he talks about 5 world timer watches for less than $5,000. It struck me while watching this video that while nit picking every detail of a CW release we tend to forget what amazing value for money we get with any CW watch. The new world timer for example, at $1,135 before any discounts is a steal when you compare the price to some of these other world timers from companies such as Longines, Frederique Constant etc. which can be thousands more brand new with the same base ETA movement. Not only are the prices on CW watches extremely competitive, but the quality of CW's is comparable to some of the best Swiss and German brands out there.

The new Ombre and Acan are both COSC 600 meter dive watches. when you do a little research for other watches with these same specifications, you quickly realize what a great value you are getting with CW.

I'm not saying we shouldn't look at all of the fine details of any new watch while making a buying decision, but after analyzing the design elements, size, etc. It's always worth keeping in mind what a similar watch from another quality watch brand would cost.

With every watch I own, I see things I wish were a little different as there is no perfect watch for everyone, but I can never fault the value for money/quality combination of any CW watch I own.

I am currently looking at a new release panda dial Fortis chronograph for around $2,000. I am not sure if I can pull the trigger, when I know at some point in the near future CW will probably come out with a similar watch of equal quality for around a $1,000.
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Amor Vincit Omnia
CW-watches: 4

Re: World Timer, Ombre, Acan - Value for money

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

A timely thread, Malcolm. We sat there this morning with Chris Ward, Mike France and Adrian Buchmann for about an hour evaluating current models and future releases, and I think that we all agreed that some of the things CW are doing, at the prices they are charging, are astonishing.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Mikkei4 »

Totally agree with this - CW continue to be great value for money for each of the watch categories they have released recently.

The C65 Trident GMT at circa £1000 is another that is really good value when compared against, for example, a Bell&Ross GMT at circa £3500.
Pipesmoker
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 7

Post by Pipesmoker »

No argument from me, you pays your money, you makes your choice, nobody is forcing everyone to like every piece, likewise everyone's opinion is just as valid (or not) as the next.
Me? I like the pieces I have bought, and I will buy more in the future, because in my experience they are solid, attractive and well priced.
Andy

C60 - Black C11 - Vintage C4 - Phoenix C11 - Ti Extreme C60-600 - Red / White C1 - GMPR C60 - Orange crush
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by mvlow »

Amor Vincit Omnia wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:12 pm A timely thread, Malcolm. We sat there this morning with Chris Ward, Mike France and Adrian Buchmann for about an hour evaluating current models and future releases, and I think that we all agreed that some of the things CW are doing, at the prices they are charging, are astonishing.
I'm looking forward to seeing the Pepsi C65 in the spring, and keeping my fingers crossed they have a C65 Chrono in the works in the near future as they hinted at in the summer Loupe :) If you have any hints that wouldn't break confidentiality? :D
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

mvlow wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the Pepsi C65 in the spring, and keeping my fingers crossed they have a C65 Chrono in the works in the near future as they hinted at in the summer Loupe :) If you have any hints that wouldn't break confidentiality? :D

Game changer for me. Will keep my dosh safe till it comes out. CWL #6 me thinks!
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by jtc »

Great value proposition, frustrating at times but perhaps decision making is "on plan" rather than what forum/Facebook fans think. Design by committee rarely works anyway.

CW have definitely stepped up their design game of late. The prices have risen but not by huge margins.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

mvlow wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:42 pm I'm looking forward to seeing the Pepsi C65 in the spring, and keeping my fingers crossed they have a C65 Chrono in the works in the near future as they hinted at in the summer Loupe :) If you have any hints that wouldn't break confidentiality? :D
I think the decipherable hints are best left to the company to drop when they are ready. All any of us can really say is that there are some very fine things lined up.
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
golfjunky
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by golfjunky »

A fresh thought for the mind and makes me remember why I fell in love with CW
Current collection = Omega Seamaster 2225.80.00, Omega Speedmaster 'Moonphase' 3576.50.00, Breitling Aerospace Evo, Vintage Azur, Vintage Seiko Sprtsman, Grand Seiko SBGX059, Omega SMP NTTD 210.92.42.20.01.001, Casioak Milkyway, Casioak Tiffany Sky.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

Yes, a timely reminder. CW do make a high quality watch and the variety and original design, particularly of their complications is difficult to match let alone surpass - add pricing into the mix and CW is unbeatable.
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

Well said Malcolm, easily forgotten when looking too closely at a new release without standing back and looking at the bigger picture.
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Very valid post Malcolm. I knew all this before buying my C65 last week but still find myself looking at it and feeling amazed at what I got for the price.
Steve.
panamavin
Senior
Senior

Post by panamavin »

Very well said. I'm not a fan of the logo placement at 9 o'clock but when I look at other pieces in the same price range I'm not "wowed" at all like I am with some of the latest releases. Plus I remember when the ChrWard logo came out I swore I would never buy one but caved and glad I did. What really cements the brand to me is the personal connection that AVO mentions above. How many other brands sit down with customers to discuss designs and have video conferences with updates?
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

The new pieces are lovely, and good value for money.

If only the logo was at 12, I'd be all over them.
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

About that placement of the name at 9...
I’ve never really come out and voiced my feelings about it because, whilst I don’t like it, I also don’t have to buy a watch with it on so I can just look elsewhere.
When the C65 Vintage Diver came out I really wanted to like it but couldn’t see past the name placement.

The recent NN sale was too good an opportunity for me to take a look.
So glad I did. The placement of the name is just not an issue to me now.
It’s just a small part of the whole and after wearing said watch for three days, I absolutely love it and the name placement just seems normal. At least on this watch! :D
Steve.