C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer on website

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
nauf
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Re: C1 Grand Malvern Worldtimer on website

Post by nauf »

I love the design. Simple, clean and smart. The exhibition case back with decorations on the movement looks top notch. Maybe this piece become my third CW purchase of this year.
My small CW collection:
|C20 Lido|C65 GMT|C7 Auto|C60 MKII Bronze|C65 Auto|C60 MKIII GMT|C65 SH21 LE|C65 AM GT LE
arzt
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by arzt »

I like this design and C1 case. But 43,5mm :shock:
So not for my wrist.
"Die Kraft steckt in der Qualität." ©
C9-SS & C60 COSC & C1GM 5day Blue dial Prototype #0000
hughesyn
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by hughesyn »

To be fair, Russia has changed their time zones and DST more times than they've had beef stroganoff for dinner.

The Moscow time +4 on the C1 Worldtimer would have been correct between March 2011 and October 2014.

That factoid can be used to break the ice at parties, should someone be smart enough to spot the apparent error on the dial.

Here's another world timer that has Moscow +4 to London:
C8 Pilot Mk II Vintage; C5 Quartz Mk II; C4 'Phoenix', C5 MMXV FLE, C7 Automatic Chronograph
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

^^^ albeit released in 2012 when it would have been correct.

Has their been any word from CW?
Ryan
Rebnats
Senior
Senior

Post by Rebnats »

I would consider a world timer for its novelty feature, however to my eyes would it be difficult to read this one at a glance due to the light coloured hands against the light spread of the dial. Would need to see something like this in the flesh before passing judgment.
C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600
C65 Trident GMT.

Tag Heuer McLaren .
Tissot Classic T Touch.
Seiko Starfish.
mvlow
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 2

Post by mvlow »

StrappedUp wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:39 pm ^^^ albeit released in 2012 when it would have been correct.

Has their been any word from CW?

After doing some research, I think I understand CW's thinking. In the new issue of Loupe Magazine in an article about the new world timer, they talk about providing at a glance the time in the world's 24 major whole-hour time zones. So they obviously needed to come up with a city in each of these 24 zones. When you look at a map of world time zones you will see in the UTC+4 time zone, you have very little choice of major cities. As Moscow has been traditionally used in the past in this time zone before Russia changed it in 2014, CW have probably made a conscious decision to use Moscow on this watch even though it is currently at UTC+3 with the thought in mind that Russia seems to regularly reconfigure their time zones and could change it again a year after this watch was produced. Add to that the lack of choice of major recognizable cities within the UTC+4 zone, I can see their logic. Dubai is in this zone and could be a choice, but they could regret it in the future if Russia changes its time zones again.

With this in mind, if I were in the market for a world timer and knowing CW's quality and value for money, I would not let the Moscow time zone stop me from purchasing it. It will be interesting to see CW's response, but if I were a gambling man, I would guess they will say it was not an error, but an informed decision on their part. As someone else mentioned in a prior comment, it makes an interesting talking point.

A side effect of researching this, is I have learned a lot more about world time zones than I ever thought I needed :)
Malcolm

CW C60 Vintage Hamilton Khaki Field Sinn 104 CW C65 Vintage GMT Monta Oceanking Elliot Brown Holton
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Bahnstormer_vRS wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:47 pmHow is the map scrunched up to accommodate the logo?

Pulled this image off the Internet, they look pretty much the same to me.
If anything CW have done well to roll their image 'down' below the equator to show more of S. America, S. Africa and SE Asia than usual.

Guy
Maybe a visit to specsavers is needed? 8)

Just go and look the original CW WT to see how the map should be done. And note the logo positioning on the original does not impact on the map in any way, shape or form. It is absolutely obvious that if CW had sacrificed the positioning of the logo, the map could have been larger. It was the first thing that hit me when I saw the prototype and those in the know said that this is something CW would change in the final version. Well it hasn't.

IWC, Breitling, Frederique Constant and Vacheron Constantin all have decent maps, better than CW. However, considering the price point of this watch, sacrifices would have to be made somewhere and sadly, as far as I can see, that is in the quality of the map.
'Tis me
arzt
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by arzt »

Moscow no longer observes Daylight Saving Time and Moscow Time on permanent UTC+3

I am definitely convinced that this is a mistake on the dial. I can't see any logic. Dubai is better choice.
"Die Kraft steckt in der Qualität." ©
C9-SS & C60 COSC & C1GM 5day Blue dial Prototype #0000
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

My take on this watch is that it I would question whether the majority of buyers actually use or need the world time facility on this type of watch but rather just buy it for the look, with the map of the world almost a piece of artwork or nice visual to carry around on the watch dial. From this perspective I really like the CW effort, actually more than the JLC which looks a more crowded dial.

For size it is too large for a non bezelled watch, other than for those with larger wrists, I appreciate this maybe to accommodate the movement. That would stop me buying.

The Moscow "error" possibly is an oversight but one that isn't going to really stop anyone buying the watch I would imagine.

The map of the world does look very small on the CW but then it is probably nigh on impossible to properly fit it on the dial in any sort of decent proportion. The JLC by comparison is more of a Northern Hemisphere timer than a world timer. So CW probably is more true to the globe to my eyes.
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

I still like how Sydney is a time zone city but Australia is not on the map. :lol:
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier
Boydesian
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Boydesian »

My antipathy to CWL's recent design decisions isn't a secret, but I have to say that I like this a lot. :thumbup:
Whare hae ye been sae braw, lad?
Whare hae ye been sae brankie, O?
Whare hae ye been sae braw, lad?
Came ye by Killiecrankie, O?
Pipesmoker
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by Pipesmoker »

It's a looker for sure :thumbup: The Moscow / scrunched map "issues" don't matter a jot to me, it's just not on my radar right now
Andy

C60 - Black C11 - Vintage C4 - Phoenix C11 - Ti Extreme C60-600 - Red / White C1 - GMPR C60 - Orange crush
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

gaf1958 wrote:I still like how Sydney is a time zone city but Australia is not on the map. :lol:
Are you the only person from the Southern Hemisphere on this forum?
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

gaf1958 wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:04 am I still like how Sydney is a time zone city but Australia is not on the map. :lol:
Did you check the case back? :lol:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
gaf1958
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by gaf1958 »

blowfish89 wrote:
gaf1958 wrote:I still like how Sydney is a time zone city but Australia is not on the map. :lol:
Are you the only person from the Southern Hemisphere on this forum?
Close, but there are a few others. They’re just less “talkative” than I am :)
CW C1+2xC3+6xC6/60K+C7+C11+3xC60T+2xC65+C90+2xC600
Omega Ω 11xSpeedy+14xSeamaster+4xConnie+DeVille
Cartier+2xPanerai+2xFarer+2xOris+Sinn+11xSeiko+ManyVintage
B&R+Halios+5xVisitor+TagH+6xTissot+2xZelos+4xCertina+more
Family12xCW+2xΩ+Cartier