Scratch advice

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
DavidT

Scratch advice

Post by DavidT »

Boo hoo, I got a little scratch on the case of my lovely p2725. I have only had it for about a month. I am not really sure how it happened, I haven't dropped it or bashed it as far as I am aware. I wear the watch every day so it just has normal use. I am a bit surprised that the case scratched so easily and actually quite disappointed that the coating is so thin- my iPhone over >2 years has a few scratches on the case but the black colour is deep and no silver has shone through. Has anyone got any idea if there is a way to fix it, or at least to stop the silver showing through? Clearly the glass is more scratch resistant than the case. Would a gentle rub with T-cut help? Many thanks for your help
Attachments
scratch.jpg
smegwina
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 11

Re: Scratch advice

Post by smegwina »

For god's sake, don't rub it with t cut, otherwise you will remove a large area of coating.

Really the only options....

Leave it and enjoy the patina.

Fill it in with a Sharpie.... Cheap but still noticeable.

Re case.

Unfortunately that is one of the issues with the coated cases, and I am sorry to see you have a dink.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 34
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1
LE-six: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS »

Ouch!

DLC coating is really resilient, are you sure it is a scratch and not just residue from whatever came into contact with the case.

Try rubbing it with a moistened finger or use a pencil eraser. You might find the residue comes off.

AS smegwina / Nick says, don't use T-cut or similar.

Guy
In small proportions, we just beautie see:
And in short measures, life may perfect bee. - Ben Jonson (1572 – 1637)

Inscription on the Longitude Dial
Hatfield House, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5NB, England
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

A quick search suggests using a gun blacking solution to cover scratches. See ebay link below and Aluminium Black product.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Birchwood-Ca ... :rk:2:pf:0
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
ItsAliveJim
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by ItsAliveJim »

I think DLC/PVD coated watches look better with a few dings here and there.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What the hell is he building in there?" Tom Waits
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Thanks everyone for the advice. It is definitely a small scratch. I did try the brichwood pen matt super black product mentioned. Unfortunately, it isn't really a good match for the coating. I tried carefully wiping away the excess so that only the scratch had the paint, but it seems that the silver steel doesn't bind the paint effectively (it preferentially binds to the coating however). I guess that I will just have to live with it. This experience will make me question carefully what style of watch I will go for. I wouldn't expect longevity from a cheap watch, but I would have expected better performance from something that cost several hundred pounds. Probably, I will go back to straight shiny metal ones that can be buffed..... ;(
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

Its a little scratch, it makes it yours, don't worry about it