New trident C60 pro/GMT wish list

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

New trident C60 pro/GMT wish list

Post by johncolescarr »

Since it appears that there is a change is afoot and I do believe that influencers in CW read this forum, here’s what I’d like to see change and what I’d like to keep

Change:
1. Case sizes, please offer a 40/41mm
2. Lug to lug, something around 50mm
3. Logo, my vote is for a very small twin flag logo and Christopher Ward written below, in serif font at 12 o clock
4. Bracelet taper, reduce by 2mm only or offer with no taper at all.

Keep:
1. Hands, please don’t change. They are almost iconic CW now
2. Galloche pattern
3. Polished case sections, by all mean play with the ratio but I personally love the polished case as it makes it look dressy, yet it’s rated to 600m WR
4. Trident logo on case back, it would be a shame to lose this
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Re: New trident C60 pro/GMT wish list

Post by nbg »

^^^^ CW do read the forum, but they don’t design watches by committee.

Forumites views on a 40/41mm case for the Trident have been given many times.

CW have already indicated that the next version of the Trident will be 38mm and 42mm, on the basis that three size variants would not be commercially viable.

Thread here of re. current thinking from one of the main key employees - summary of the “Chat with Chris 2018”.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49948

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by H0rati0 »

nbg wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:10 am ^^^^ CW do read the forum, but they don’t design watches by committee.

CW have already indicated that the next version of the Trident will be 38mm and 42mm, on the basis that three size variants would not be commercially viable.

Thread here of re. current thinking from one of the main key employees - summary of the “Chat with Chris 2018”.

Neil
I can't see why 40mm is so important. A diver should be large, so the current 43mm is fine (even on the small side) and if one wants a smaller version, well 38mm is available. Why so much fuss over a couple of mm?

Real estate under water is important, so one could postulate going for 45mm to open up a 40mm possibility, but CW know their market and if it's going to be 38/42 to give a "dressy" compromise, I'm fine with that too.

I am looking forward to better lume, luminous bezel and hope for an auto SH21 version with date (even day date if SH21 supports that), power reserve dial and hopefully a quick release bracelet. I do agree that the outstanding Trident design cues of today should be retained, an embossed sapphire case back would be cool.

Bring it on.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by FloridaPhil »

Either a real GMT bezel insert instead of the hybrid version currently offered or have the 24 hour markings placed on the chapter ring along with a regular dive bezel to give the best of both worlds. The latter would be my preference.

I agree with keeping the existing hour hand. The waterdrop hand is one of the defining characteristics of the Trident line IMO.

Lume does need help too.

Chris mentioned the inclusion of a helium escape valve on the next model. While it might be a useful 'marketing feature', in real life it is utterly useless to 99.9999999999% of dive watch buyers - those who do need it are highly unlikely to buy a CW for the purpose so, please, don't bother. Seriously.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

FloridaPhil wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:41 pm
Chris mentioned the inclusion of a helium escape valve on the next model. While it might be a useful 'marketing feature', in real life it is utterly useless to 99.9999999999% of dive watch buyers - those who do need it are highly unlikely to buy a CW for the purpose so, please, don't bother. Seriously.
Agreed. Not only useless, pretentious.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

I like the Hybrid Bezel, I like the current hands, I like the current size but would like to see it a mm or 2 thinner if possible. I’d also like to see a few more colour options, maybe an option for a steel bezel, and fully brushed case/bracelet. Oh, and screwed bracelet links rather than pins. I don’t care for a display caseback on this style of watch and, as Phil has said, a helium escape valve is totally useless to most of us, even those of us that would actually dive with them. Maybe some real advancements would be anti shock systems and anti magnetic properties?
Lavaine
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Lavaine »

The hybrid bezel makes no sense. Change the GMT to a proper GMT bezel, or a 24 hour chapter ring and dive bezel as suggested by Phil. While I don't find the Trident too thick, some probably do. The reality is that very few of these are actually worn for diving, and even fewer of the GMT's. Put the GMT in a 300m case and reduce the thickness by a couple of mm's. A lumed ceramic dive bezel (and improved dial lume) would be a nice upgrade as well.
2017 CW Forum "Darwin Award" winner.
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

TigerChris wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:59 pm Oh, and screwed bracelet links rather than pins.
Second that. So much easier to adjust.

nik
FloridaPhil
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by FloridaPhil »

Also, add a half-link to the bracelet for fine adjustment beyond that offered by the ratchet system. My wrist size is right on the boundary - one link too many and I can't get the bracelet tight enough, one link out and I'm approaching the adjustment limit with the ratchet fully opened. The hot, humid weather here in Florida probably magnifies the problem and the half link would be an easy solution.
WatchChat on Facebook
The friendliest watch group on Facebook chatting about our watch passion and whatever else happens to come up.
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

H0rati0 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:23 am
nbg wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:10 am ^^^^ CW do read the forum, but they don’t design watches by committee.

Neil
I can't see why 40mm is so important. A diver should be large, so the current 43mm is fine (even on the small side) and if one wants a smaller version, well 38mm is available. Why so much fuss over a couple of mm?

Real estate under water is important, so one could postulate going for 45mm to open up a 40mm possibility, but CW know their market and if it's going to be 38/42 to give a "dressy" compromise, I'm fine with that too.

I am looking forward to better lume, luminous bezel and hope for an auto SH21 version with date (even day date if SH21 supports that), power reserve dial and hopefully a quick release bracelet. I do agree that the outstanding Trident design cues of today should be retained, an embossed sapphire case back would be cool.

Bring it on.

nik
I think the concentration on 40/41mm is that on the average size wrist, say 7.5 inches, the watch it just that tad too big. I actually think it’s more to do with the lug to lug of 51.5mm as this is right on the limit of my average wrists (ie lugs are at the very edge of my wrist). The lug shape also makes a huge difference, the curvature of the lugs can make or break whether a watch works on the wrist.

we all have different wrists therefore any design will work on some and not others.

However, it’s not enough for me to reject the watch, I love them! And certainly would choose 43mm over 38mm with the 45mm lug lug.

Totally with you on the bracelet, a perfect fitting bracelet can make a huge difference to how a watch wears

Ultimately I admire that CW don’t design by committee. I think that in general watch fanatics have such attention to detail and obsess over the minutiae that your bound to upset one of us no matter what you do. The fact that the trident pro is the most popular model means that a lot of people love it.
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

johncolescarr wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:48 pm
I think the concentration on 40/41mm is that on the average size wrist, say 7.5 inches, the watch it just that tad too big. I actually think it’s more to do with the lug to lug of 51.5mm as this is right on the limit of my average wrists (ie lugs are at the very edge of my wrist). The lug shape also makes a huge difference, the curvature of the lugs can make or break whether a watch works on the wrist.

we all have different wrists therefore any design will work on some and not others.
I could understand if CW offered only one case size, but they offer a choice on the Trident so customers can choose how they want to wear, even if that is still slight compromise. I have never really considered case size as a decision factor, if I like the watch design. It's not so long ago that 36mm was considered "full size", I still wear watches from that era and continue to lust after a PP 5054 which is a smidge under 36mm.

As you say, we obsess too much on this forum, though it is good clean fun!

nik
Webazu
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Webazu »

Since it's a wish list..
43mm bronze, SH21, GMT, 24h outer ring and a 24h bezel with even numbers 2,4,6,8.... :D