Why do you like CW?

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
0uatiOW
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Why do you like CW?

Post by 0uatiOW »

I suppose we’re all fans of the brand, some more than others, otherwise we wouldn’t be here. I noticed something on the website earlier which prompted me to start this thread.

What do we like about CW? (No dislikes please, let’s keep this positive.)

First and foremost, the stated objective of making quality watches accessible - CW isn’t the only watch brand doing this but it’s one which I’ve found to be the most noticeable.

Secondly, celebrating British design. While this features highly for me as a Brit, others may not appreciate the Britishness as much as me, but as a general point I think we should all be embracing our heritage, whatever it is.

Next, customer service is generally excellent- not just good, truly excellent - there are exceptions (much discussed elsewhere) but they set a high bar.

Finally, innovation. For a small brand, developing it’s own movement, offering the world-beating 60/60 guarantee, even offering financing as I noticed today.

Finally, finally, they offer some really nice watches at not-silly prices, like these.
My name is 0uatiOW, but before you ask, no I don’t.
“Exquisitely minging” MissF, 19 July 2022
Just call me Diderot
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: Why do you like CW?

Post by Markornot »

As Robert Pirsig once described (I think) quality as the thing that is felt or recognized before it can even be conceptualized or described...It seems that is what draws certain people to the brand. I once ached to own a Rolex, Tudor or Omega because of the quality those brands extol but even more likely for the perceived status that comes with ownership.

I have had moments while attending the Oregon Symphyony that have moved me emotionally in indescribable ways...would the Royal Concertgebouwe perform Mahler better?...probably...would it move me in the same way?...it would not. I do not need the presence of the “best” to elevate my emotional connection to quality.

I believe this is what draws us all to this brand at some level....

Before someone calls BS...I would like to reference Charlie Brown while Linus is waxing philosophically about the shape of the clouds...Charlie Brown responds: and I quote...”I was going to say I saw a ducky and horsey...but I changed my mind...” :D
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
H0rati0
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by H0rati0 »

I know why I am here.

1. Complications. CWL are great at offering intriguing complications at accessible prices. And I don't mean chronographs, yawn....

2. Design aesthetic. A great choice spanning elegance to downright bold.

3. Value for money. The big name Swiss brands have lost the plot. Ok, they have suffered from a strong currency, but the insane escalation in prices was well underway before the GFC in 2008 and the market for the big boys' products does not clear. How long are they going to keep their heads in the sand?

4. Manufacturing quality. CWL know how to build alongside the industry leaders. SH21 particularly, stands toe to toe with the best the world can offer.

More power to their elbow. I have been hooked on quality watches for over thirty years and have owned (still do) the very best. CW are right up there, absolutely nothing to be ashamed off and a great amount to be proud of.

nik
"There is no beginning to enlightenment and no end to training" - Dogen Zenji (1200-1253)
Decker
Junior
Junior
CW-watches: 2

Post by Decker »

I am only just starting to build a small collection of CW`s & what attracted me to the brand in the first place was researching their story from 2014 up to present day . From starting out as an internet only brand they have travelled a road that is unique in the world of Swiss made watches. I feel they have had an almost disruptive effect on the industry ,always moving forward & seeming unconcerned about following the "rules" Now of course this kind of attitude can & will produce both positive & negative results but from the consumers point of view it has resulted in an amazing array of watches both on the new & used market from an entry level Swiss quartz right up to rare in-house limited editions.From my point of view what`s not to like :D
Jeff Spangle
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 3

Post by Jeff Spangle »

I like the brand
I like the quality
I like the pricing

But more than anything, they make watches that I like to wear
________________________________________________________________________________
various - Casio, Lego, TAG, Tudor, Seiko, Mondaine, Orient, Davis, Victorinox, Tissot, Alpina, Omega

and 3 Christopher Wards
Amor Vincit Omnia

Post by Amor Vincit Omnia »

They make watches. They’re pretty much all good, and some are brilliant.

I got into wisery (not misery) through the company and the forum. I have a lot to blame sorry, thank them for.

They are real people. Good people. Not every day you can have a pint with a bloke whose name appears on watch dials.

Well, actually I can’t have a pint with Chris every day (I suppose Wera could), but I have done so!

Bottom line...watches. :D
Steve
Linguist; retired teacher; pilgrim; apprentice travel writer

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, kill nothing but time

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. (Max Ehrmann)
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by Thermexman »

Jeff Spangle wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:01 am I like the brand
I like the quality
I like the pricing

I think Jeff captured my thoughts perfectly.
Steve.
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Thermexman wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:40 am
I like the quality
I like the pricing

I think Jeff captured my thoughts perfectly.
+1 with the above, but I would also add...
They listen to their Customers, take on board their feedback and actually do something about it, that in itself holds them in very high esteem in my view.
Galton321
Forumgod
Forumgod
CW-watches: 14
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes

Post by Galton321 »

All of the above and in the early days a feeling that you had discovered some secret and were in the know about something very few others knew about. But not so much now!!! A bit like saying you liked Monty Python while everyone else was unsure about whether it was any good.
johncolescarr
Expert
Expert

Post by johncolescarr »

I’ve toyed with affordable Japanese watches and midrange Swiss, but have now decided to build my watch collection entirely of Christopher Ward watches.

My top 5 reasons

1. Quality, by far the best quality I’ve ever experienced in my price range (up to £1500)

2. Originality of design, increasingly less homage peices. Although I can appreciate watches like steinhart and Davosa, a company that is confident enough to put out their own unique designs is quite a rarity.

3. Britishness, unashamedly proud of its British routes but globally minded and winning fans from all over the world

4. Customer service, you buy a second hand watch and they honour the warranty

5. Innovation, first British watch company in 50 years to have an in-house movement, and what a movement!
Dress C63 36mm
Dive C C63 36mm
Fly C63 36mm
albionphoto
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 10

Post by albionphoto »

I like the quality
I like the pricing

What Jeff said.
Mark
Bremont, Casio, Citizen, Christopher Ward, Chronotechna, Mido, Omega and Oris
oberonfoto
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 6

Post by oberonfoto »

I like the quality
I like the pricing

This is why I like the brand.
David
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT, C65 Dartmouth S1 Black
EB Canford SM Service, EB Holton Pro, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Constance
E57

Post by E57 »

Quality, design and pricing are the most important reasons for me
actuary

Post by actuary »

The design choices are, generally, really well done, especially at the price point. All the watches have an elegant, sometimes bold, look to them.
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

I like CW because they are a British brand that celebrate some of the key moments in motor racing history.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK