Jaguar to sue Christopher Ward

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
alansmithee

Jaguar to sue Christopher Ward

Post by alansmithee »

Just saw this on The Sunday Times and thought people here would be interested:
Jaguar is revving up for a legal battle with the luxury watch maker Christopher Ward.

Between 2014 and 2016, Christopher Ward sold D-Type watches, named after the Jaguar model of the same name. The car maker alleges that by selling the watches — which cost between £449 and £2,995 — Christopher Ward infringed its trademark and damaged the “distinctive character” of its marque. Christopher Ward sourced metal from some of the cars to make the “limited edition” £2,995 watches.

The D-Type is one of Jaguar’s best-known sports cars and won Le Mans for three consecutive years between 1955 and 1957. Only 75 were built, but in February, Jaguar said it would build a further 25. All sold for more than £1.5m each.
Christopher Ward said last night that it would “vigorously” defend itself.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/busi ... -dgtk76zhf
scooter
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1
LE-two: yes
LE-foura: yes

Re: Jaguar to sue Christopher Ward

Post by scooter »

Crikey.

scooter
#1 scooter blue 2012 FLE (50 made)
jtc
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by jtc »

I think we'd assumed CW would do these art metal pieces in partnership with the brands they're using in their marketing. Oops.
Jon

Trusted Seller Feedback

CW | Tudor | Tag Heuer | Omega | Longines | Bremont | Rolex
alansmithee

Post by alansmithee »

jtc wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:42 am I think we'd assumed CW would do these art metal pieces in partnership with the brands they're using in their marketing. Oops.
The wording was always carefully done to *imply* this but never actually state it...

It is curious to me why there is such a gap between the watches and action - I premese there have been discussions behind the scenes for a while and Jaguar feel that they haven't had the right response.
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I am no lawyer, but do not see why it should be assumed there was a collaboration. The marketing made it clear this was a tribute piece and contained metal from a wheel spinner. To me this seems quite a stretch for a lawsuit.

Being typed on my D-Type computer.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
alansmithee

Post by alansmithee »

Kip wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:52 am I am no lawyer, but do not see why it should be assumed there was a collaboration. The marketing made it clear this was a tribute piece and contained metal from a wheel spinner. To me this seems quite a stretch for a lawsuit.

Being typed on my D-Type computer.
I would guess the argument is that it is 'passing off' that the marketing was deliberately designed to take advantage of trademarks owned by Jaguar and benefit by association.

Anyone got any of the original marketing copy to hand?
Clach77
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 24

Post by Clach77 »

Looks like good publicity for Christoper Ward to me. :D

If they lose it’s not such good news, especially as other brands may want to look at the case.
Trying not to buy any more watches...
Tyke
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by Tyke »

Perhaps because Jaguar has a partnership with Bremont, so there is a conflicting watch link in place?

I've commented several times in the past about CW playing fast and loose with other people's brands, notably Wimbledon but also Formula 1 & Jaguar. Most of my postings got shot down for daring to suggest they were infringing trademarks.........
Markornot
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by Markornot »

I would venture that Mr. Ward himself probably has more connection to the D-type than does the current Indian owned Tata Group that has been the parent company to JLR Ltd. for the past decade.
Mark
CW - C8 Flyer, C6 JHMk3, C7 Corsa Rosso LE, C3 Chronograph, C8 Reg | TAG Heuer F1 | Orient - Black Raven II, Bambino, Star Seeker GMT, Galant, Monarch | Seagull - Grn Military, Moon Phase | Tissot - Visodate | Steinhart - NavA Pilot MW, NavB Vintage
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-three: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I don't have any marketing materials, but the manual clearly gives kudos to the Jaguar D-Type itself and mentions that the watch is a "tribute" to the 1954 winning car. No mention of any collaboration, other than TMB.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

I’m not a lawyer, but I do watch a lot of Law & Order, so here’s my $.02...

I would think making specific reference to Jaguar in any way in the literature and documentation, both referencing the name and including trademarked logos, sets CW up for trouble. I’m a guitar guy in addition to a watch guy. In advertising, it’s oretty common to see other manufacturers reference T-style and S-style guitars rather than refer directly to Telecasters and Stratocasters since those names are trademarked by Fender.

CW might argue any reference their making is purely historical, but it’s still being made in a capacity that is fundamentally commercial in nature.

This should be interesting.
Drew
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

In my opinion they shouldn't have used the model name C9 D Type and should have been more creative, especially as Bremont have an official relationship with Jaguar and the Bremont E Type watch.

I'm sure CW knew what they were doing, because using the D Type name would help with sales and I believe this watch had full page ads in the likes of EVO, Octane mags etc where the readership know their cars and history.

Amazed that this wasn't agreed with Jaguar at the time.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
mabotham
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 5

Post by mabotham »

Just about to post as I sit down with today's paper !!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Post by theemaadhatter »

22f46c9531ff15c0c9924b63c99ad91a.jpg
121218_TV_LaneJaguar.jpg.CROP.promo-large.jpg
aww.
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
Caller
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Caller »

Interesting to see what happens in this case.

It could be the opening salvo, or as suggested above, the last resort after failed negotiations. Does anyone know what Jaguar are after as they hardly need the money? Maybe they have become aware of plans for something similar, either by CW or someone else and intend to put a marker down?

It's pretty damning if they win, and apart from the obvious trademark issues, surely it's more difficult to prove it damaged the “distinctive character” of its marque, which will mean analysing the design, would it not? Imagine a debate in court about the aesthetic qualities of the watch!

But CW have only got themselves to blame for this. They knew they weren't doing this with the agreement of Jaguar and must have known about Bremont and it was always sailing pretty close to the wind. I always thought the GT40 was pretty close to plagiarism.
'Tis me