Mine is in the post !
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Re: C60 Trident Ombre COSC

Post by biggus_richus »

Renton wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 pm
nauf wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:08 pm How’s a sandblasted ceramic bezel produced? Never heard of this term. How durable is sb ceramic bezel vs normal ceramic bezel?
Broadly speaking, if you sandblast anything it will give a matt finish.

If a gloss ceramic bezel is highly resistant to any kind of mark, I'd be surprised if matt was any different.
Is this not the same finish as on the (now discontinued) C60 Trident vintage?
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
blowfish89
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
LE-three: yes

Post by blowfish89 »

Looking forward to real pictures soon!
Renton
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 3

Post by Renton »

biggus_richus wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:20 pm
Renton wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:08 pm
nauf wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:08 pm How’s a sandblasted ceramic bezel produced? Never heard of this term. How durable is sb ceramic bezel vs normal ceramic bezel?
Broadly speaking, if you sandblast anything it will give a matt finish.

If a gloss ceramic bezel is highly resistant to any kind of mark, I'd be surprised if matt was any different.
Is this not the same finish as on the (now discontinued) C60 Trident vintage?
Absolutely.
Foolish of me to forget that.
Vintage matt bezel is indeed just as 'bullet proof' as the gloss in my experience.

Kudos to CW for retiring the vintage to help make way for the ever-expanding (and far more desirable) bronze range.

I really, really like this Ombre - something really resonates with me... I think it's the 'on trend fashion watch' styling, combined with the distinctly 'non fashion' £1k price tag (or £850 for those who used the now-defunct 150CW18 discount code) that just strikes a chord. I'm 40+ so I'd hate to be considered a slave to fashion, but the reality is, if I see something which just looks 'right', then I'm drawn to it.

Other considerations/sense check: the 'limited edition' marketing draw sounds great (but in reality LE number would usually be based on how many they think they can sell in a given time period. IE if it sells out in days/weeks, they probably went too low on the run or too cheap on the price. If it sells out in a couple of months, they nailed it. If they announce a 300 piece run (a'la white 5-day C60 and it sticks around for years), they probably went eyes bigger than belly! Then consider the COSC certificate and 'chronometer' badge of honour on the face - in reality it has the same heart as the £495 Malvern auto, but they've spent slightly longer fine-tuning it. I must confess I get sucked into the COSC lure every time. But in reality I rotate my 50odd watches on a daily basis, so unless a watch is over 1-2 minutes out over a 16 hour period, I rarely notice any time-keeping problems! I suspect I'm a watch seller's dream customer and I apologise to anyone who is offended by my arguably flippant attitude toward time-keeping!

Going back to my "I really, really like this Ombre - something really resonates with me" etc. comments, I know that sincerity can sometimes be mistaken for sarcasm in posts like this, so for the purpose of clarity, when I say 'on trend fashion watch' I mean it 100% positively. I think it looks spectacular. I love the distressed dial. I love the distressed leather strap option, but anyone who chooses rubber instead of the other three options wants shooting!! (note to Trump voters, NRA members (is that one and the same?) and trigger-happy US cops with a penchant for gunning down unarmed men of colour, when a Brit says 'someone needs shooting', what they/I actually mean is "ooh, you went for the rubber strap, it's not my first choice, but good for you". We don't actually mean we want to kill someone. Back on point; a slightly more unique bezel would have been the icing on the cake (as opposed to a matt black variation on the Chrono/day-date bezel), but I appreciate that it's still a unique (for now) bezel in its own right.

I would have ordered an Ombre by now but for two reasons:
1) I'm still waiting for my C7 Apex to arrive (while it's been rather frustrating watching others flaunt theirs, I'm still as excited now as I was when I placed the order) and
2) I think the nearly new regular bronze currently available at £556 (https://www.christopherward.co.uk/event ... new-86e36d) represents far better value. Is a funky face and a slight variation on two bezels I already have in my collection really worth a £300-400 premium? Right now I think not. Maybe in a couple more beers time I'll contradict myself!

if the Ombres are sold out by Guy Fawkes night and they're changing hands for over a grand next year, then I'll be very very happy to be proved wrong - especially if I find myself off-loading the £556 NN bronze I bought tonight to justify the purchase of a £1k+ pre-owned Ombre that I could have bought for £850 yesterday!
Lawrence
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 20

Post by Lawrence »

I really, really like the 'Ombre' and suspect I will succumb eventually (if here are any left). I like watches but am not an obsessive so I didn't even know bronze watches were a thing. I have 2 now, the C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600 and the C65 Trident Bronze SH21 Limited Edition. Both are excellent travel/vacation watches. I took the C60 to Hawaii this year and it's a great all day watch, swimming included.
Omega Speedmaster, Bulova Accutron Gemini, Tudor Black Bay Heritage Maroon & Black, C65 Trident Bronze SH21 LE, C65 Trident Black, C65 Trident Diver SH21, C65 Trident Ombre LE, Longines HydroConquest beautiful AF and better than C60 300
biggus_richus
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by biggus_richus »

Renton wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:36 am Kudos to CW for retiring the vintage to help make way for the ever-expanding (and far more desirable) bronze range.
I always assumed that the C60 vintage was retired to make room for the C65 diver range, although it was only around the time that the C65 diver was released that CW appeared on my radar.

I have an Ombre on order. I was never a fan of the original C60 bronze - it was just too much bronze for me. I didn't expect to like the Ombre, and indeed, when I first saw it on the drawing board in Loupe, I was nonplussed. But then I saw it in person at the showroom. Seeing it over someones shoulder, I was still nonplussed. But then I got my hands on it and... I think it was the way it had patinated alongside the watch face and ceramic bezel. It all gelled into, for me, a desirable piece.

This will be the third C60 in my collection. It is the only CW model I (currently) own. It provides a nice autumn/winter counterpoint to my spring/summer yellow 316L.
Rich.

Breitling | CW | Farer | Formex | Garmin | Marloe | Ming | Omega | Oris | Seiko | Studio Underd0g | Tag Heuer | Timex
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 1

Post by what-time-is-it »

I bought a Trident Vintage with the matt dial in the last CW sale - sadly it went back as the bezel was marked/scratched. I've not seen a C60 glossy ceramic bezel do that.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Mine was waiting for me when I got home from work this evening...

ImageOmbre_0001 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
ImageOmbre_0002 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
ImageOmbre_0003 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
ImageOmbre_0004 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
ImageOmbre_0005 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
ImageOmbre_0006 by StrapMeister, on Flickr
ImageOmbre_0007 by StrapMeister, on Flickr

:D
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

I got mine too and mostly very happy but there is no red on the dial like the photos. The depth rating is white
MiniMpi
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 17

Post by MiniMpi »

StrapMeister wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:20 pm Mine was waiting for me when I got home from work this evening...
Congratulations Nigel ! :clap:
A seriously cool watch mate, Enjoy it 8)
welshlad
CW-watches: 27

Post by welshlad »

willttqs wrote:I got mine too and mostly very happy but there is no red on the dial like the photos. The depth rating is white
Oops. That does seem to be a bit of a faux pas. The line of red text was a nice touch in the official photos and renders. It will be interesting to see how CW respond to this issue.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future. - Niels Bohr
theemaadhatter
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
CW-watches: 8

Post by theemaadhatter »

I am still excited to receive mine either way, but I have emailed Scott to ask for clarification on the Red vs White depth rating text on the pictures on the CW website vs pictures people are posting here and on FB. Will let everyone know what I hear back.
TMH (https://watchcomplications.com)
"it is maddening choosing your outfit based on the watch you want to wear..."
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Post by StrapMeister »

Cheers Ferg
First impressions are favourable :)
...and it's my first "proper" bronze
(I do have a Scuro Bronzo)
Contemplating whether I should have gone for the patinated version.
Initial thoughts were go for the raw one and patinate myself over time (more of a bonding session).

I've just received the Loupe magazine today and did a comparison
...in the magazine the depth text is in red but the actual watch is in white...
Is it a deal breaker - not sure atm!
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »

Are my 12 o clock lines straight?
willttqs
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by willttqs »