Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-five: yes

Re: C65 Trident GMT now on the CW website

Post by welshlad » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:41 pm

jkbarnes wrote:You're actually not too far off the mark there! It's a delicate subject. It's a second marriage for both of us with perhaps too much symbolism attached to the watch.
It might be best to start collecting something else other than watches then, before it's too late! :)
CWL C1R | C60 x2 | C70 x4 | C8
Omega Speedy | AT8500 | AT2500 | PO Ti
Rolex Exp | Sub Zenith EP1969 Damasko DA44
Grand Seiko Snowflake Seiko 55 Fthms Halios Seaforth
Citizen Promaster Tissot V8 Vratislavia S6 Casio WT Luch 1Hand

r-macus
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by r-macus » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:42 pm

Can't really add much more to what's been said, I share the same views as the majority here. It just falls short in a few areas. But as i've found out before , sometimes you need to wear and try a piece first. I can't believe i have a seiko turtle ,as they seem to wear so well even for the massive size. Same might be the case here where you need to see it in the flesh and try it on etc.
STOC : Seiko sarb033 / Seiko srp775 / Christopher ward c60 trident pro vintage / Zelos swordfish / Certina ds podium / Yema 011-ba / Luminox seaturtle 0301 

TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by TigerChris » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:51 pm

jkbarnes wrote:It might be the GMT hand I love most about this watch!

While I’ve quite liked many of the models released by CW over the last few months, this is the first one I’m prepared to dip into my “strategic reserves” for without a bit of hesitation. Well, without hesitation about the money that is. But not for the fact it would break my wife’s heart if I bought a new watch, this would be on its way to me. I’m afraid my wife would see a new watch as me replacing the C65 Trident Vintage she got me as a wedding gift.

I need to approach this strategically to convince her to come my way on this. Any advice?
:silent:

johnnysharp2
Senior Guru
Senior Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by johnnysharp2 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:45 am

Looks similar to the Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT which at half the price is a much better option.
Johnny

kygan00

Post by kygan00 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:34 am

Surprisingly looks good overall despite
-GMT hand too dominant
-h/m hand too rigid
-watch too big for me; 38-40 would be ideal
-walmart logo as mentioned by someone else earlier

jkbarnes
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by jkbarnes » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:43 pm

johnnysharp2 wrote:Looks similar to the Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT which at half the price is a much better option.
A better option if one’s in the market for an homage watch perhaps. While the C65 Trident GMT takes some cues from the Explorer II, ref.1655, it’s far from an homage watch.
Andrew
Woodbridge, VA USA

C65 Trident Vintage

oberonfoto
Guru
Guru
CW-watches: 5

Post by oberonfoto » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Wasn't too keen on this watch on first sight but its starting to grow on me the more I see it. Think it will be CW06. :thumbup:
CWL C60 Trident Pro Orange, C60 Trident 600 GMT Red, C60 Trident 300 - RN SM Service, C60 Trident 600 Bronze GMT
Elliot Brown Canford - Ltd Edition Submariner, Omega Geneve, Record Swan, TagHeuer Kirium, CWC G10
Wife:
CWL Victoria

welshlad
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 8

Post by welshlad » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:23 pm

oberonfoto wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:52 pm
Wasn't too keen on this watch on first sight but its starting to grow on me the more I see it.
It's starting to grow on me too. The real world photos show a different perspective and I'm starting to like the GMT hand a lot more now, in particular. I may continue to resist though, until I see what further dial/lume options are released in the future.
CWL C1R | C60 x2 | C70 x4 | C8
Omega Speedy | AT8500 | AT2500 | PO Ti
Rolex Exp | Sub Zenith EP1969 Damasko DA44
Grand Seiko Snowflake Seiko 55 Fthms Halios Seaforth
Citizen Promaster Tissot V8 Vratislavia S6 Casio WT Luch 1Hand

watchmaniac

Post by watchmaniac » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:19 pm

After reading the spec of the gmt, I am a little confused on cw's approach on the non gmt models. They claim that the whole purpose of using the hand wound movement is to maintain a low profile case. If the thickness of 12mm still achievable with an automatic movement, why didn't they use the eta 2893 on the non gmt models?

And that leads to my second question. Why didn't they put a screw down crown on the gmt? since it's automatic and no need of winding. I had the regular c65 for awhile and the crown pop up on me on two separate occasions. I sold it shortly after because of that.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Bahnstormer_vRS
CW-watches: 24
LE-three: 1
LE-foura: 1
LE-fourb: 1

Post by Bahnstormer_vRS » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:19 pm

watchmaniac wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:19 pm
After reading the spec of the gmt, I am a little confused on cw's approach on the non gmt models. They claim that the whole purpose of using the hand wound movement is to maintain a low profile case. If the thickness of 12mm still achievable with an automatic movement, why didn't they use the eta 2893 on the non gmt models?

And that leads to my second question. Why didn't they put a screw down crown on the gmt? since it's automatic and no need of winding. I had the regular c65 for awhile and the crown pop up on me on two separate occasions. I sold it shortly after because of that.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
Can't answer your first question but perhaps the answer to the non screw down crown one is that, maybe, the case is not designed for a screw down crown and CW did not feel the need to adapt / change it.

Guy
C3 Chrono |C4 | C5A MkI | C5 BOB LE | C6 x 4 | C7 MkII Harrier | C7 Hornet
C8 MkI | C8 Reg'tor MkII LE | C8 Flyer PR | C9 2011 FLE | C9 Me109 SPC | C10 | C11 Extreme
C60 x 4 | C60 Chrono P'type |C65 Diver P'type | C600 |
Other brands? The odd few

Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 146
LE-one: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:48 pm

The premise here is that is that the C65 Diver is to be reminiscent of watches built in the 1960's. Manual winds thinner cases and lower atm's were more prevalent. The use of the SW 210 allowed a thinner case at 11.55mm. The GMT uses the venerable 2893 to be used and provides an auto in the family as well.

The 1960's ethos is probably why the C65 does not have a screw down crown. Although they were around, they were not as plentiful as today. The C65 achieves the 10 atm without the crew down crown.
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

timor54
Senior
Senior

Post by timor54 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:27 pm

watchmaniac wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:19 pm

I was surprised on the first point. I wasn't expecting an ETA movement because of the slim C65 case.

The spec's indicate that the C65 GMT is actually very slightly thicker than the C65 diver, 12.05mm vs. 11.55mm. Don't know where that little extra is, but possibly a deeper case back to accommodate an automatic rotor??

With regards the non-screw down crown, if both models are using the same centre case then that'd explain it, particularly if they've just modified the case back to increase depth to fit an auto ETA movement.
Tim

Olympic1912
CW-watches: 4

Post by Olympic1912 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:46 am

Wow aesthetically this is the best looking CW watch to date. The stainless bezel and GMT orange hand are superb and remind me of past actual vintage watches I have owned. I now have a policy of only buying COSC chronometers so I am really really hoping CW bring out a hand wound version even without the GMT function it would still hit the spot and hopefully "wishing" a navy blue face version too! The stainless strap looks superb. A big congratulations goes from me to the team to designed this one, it really is perfect aesthetically. :D

Olympic1912
CW-watches: 4

Post by Olympic1912 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:56 pm

The Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT which at half the price is a good value with the ETA cal. watch but it just doesn't look like it came from the 1960's unlike the CW C65 GMT which with its box crystal does. This :D watch is spot on in my opinion. Just need a blue face version. In the late 60's the most common face colours were navy blue or champagne.

jkbarnes
Senior Guru
Senior Guru

Post by jkbarnes » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:11 am

Olympic1912 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:56 pm
...In the late 60's the most common face colours were navy blue or champagne.
I’m intrigued by a champagne dial for this model! I’d love to see that.
Andrew
Woodbridge, VA USA

C65 Trident Vintage