C65 Trident GMT now on the CW website

Discuss Christopher Ward watches
E57

Re: C65 Trident GMT now on the CW website

Post by E57 »

Got mine last week, awesome looking watch!
Wlee

Not a good experience - C65 GMT

Post by Wlee »

Christopher Ward Trident C65 GMT – Quality?
Dear Mr. Ward,

Received my watch on Monday Dec/10/2018. After opening up the packaging that evening, I then proceeded to adjust the time and date and manually wound the watch about 20 maybe 25 revolutions and started wearing it on my wrist.

A few hours later, just before bed time, I noticed the watch had stopped running. I adjusted the time again and it started running after I pushed in the crown. I left the watch on my night table and it was running fine the next morning. It ran all day Tuesday Dec/11/2018 on my wrist and then it stopped again early Tuesday evening. I thought this was odd, I adjusted the time again, pushed in the crown and manually wound the watch another 20-30 revolutions. Watch ran fine Tuesday night and all day Wednesday on my wrist.

Wednesday evening Dec/12/2018 the watch stopped. I went through the process of time adjustment again and this time I manually wound the crown 40-45 revolutions. It ran fine Wednesday night and all day Thursday on my wrist; and then, yes you guessed it, it stopped again Friday morning Dec/14/2018. I have a feeling the watch is not self-winding as I wear it on my wrist; it will run after I manually wind it but it will stop about 24 hours after it runs down on power.

At this point I am very disappointed and upset with your product to say the least. I am an Accountant by profession and inherently I am a very careful person; normally I do not purchase expensive merchandise on line if I am unfamiliar with the brand and/or seller, but after reading so many great reviews of your watch and company I decided I wanted to take a chance on Christopher Ward. I was very excited and my expectation was high, and I have to admit your C65 GMT is lovely to look at but unfortunately the ownership and functionality of the watch leaves a lot to be desired.

One thing I can attest to is that your customer support is excellent. A certain Ms. Katie Howard has been very responsive to all of my inquires so far, and currently I am working with her to return the watch and get a refund.

Disappointed Customer,

Wlee
Calif., USA
Bugster87
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 1

Post by Bugster87 »

It’s unfortunate you’ve had this experience and it can be off putting. I would also say that you could order a watch from any brand and be unlucky enough to have a problem like this. These are tiny machines that very occasionally don’t work properly. I’m sure you’ll find the customer service department very helpful and maybe ask for replacement rather than refund? Id urge not to give up on Christopher Ward just yet.
Bident
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by Bident »

Hello, I am new to this forum but have been reading posts here since researching and ultimately buying the C65 Trident Diver (blue) in August. My C65 had similar issues to Wlee's C65 Trident GMT: stopping after some period of time (typically eight hours) even after being fully wound. Scott Callaway and Mike France (co-founder) were very accommodating to my problem and I was about to send my watch in when I discovered on the Jaeger-LeCoultre website the following article on magnetism:

https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/us/en/ ... FromSearch

Having previously believed magnetism only speeded up watches (slowing and stopping is also possible according to JLC), I immediately purchased a demagnetizer from Amazon (ultimately the expensive one, after the cheap blue one arrived dead and was sent back) and sure enough, problem resolved.

A good compass can be used to detect the magnetism, and perhaps less reliably an iPhone app, Lepsi, can do the job as well. In my case, the spring bars on my blue strap were also magnetized, so if you have the C65 GMT with bracelet that may be compounding the problem if the bracelet is magnetized as well.

Apparently, customs' use of X-rays is often the culprit so watches sent here to the USA possibly experience this issue more than watches sent to other destinations where customs are not required.

I would also say please don't give up on CW. I find both the C65 and the company to be remarkable.
Best regards,
John
nauf
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by nauf »

Received mine two days ago. Never leaves my wrist ever since. The only watch that gets my full attention all the time, even my wife notices it. :lol: My 5th CW watches this year (OMG, what have I done?). I love the new case, it's thin and the size perfectly fit to my wrist. All components, from the SS bezel to the main case are all well intact. I got it on vintage leather straps, so comfortable, same leather quality with Timberland boots, if not better. I have nothing to fault with this model.
My small CW collection:
|C20 Lido|C65 GMT|C7 Auto|C60 MKII Bronze|C65 Auto|C60 MKIII GMT|C65 SH21 LE|C65 AM GT LE
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

^^^congratulations, it's a cracker of a watch. A Christmas cracker in the case of yours :santaclaus:

Now what's this about only buying 5 watches this year, get with the programme, that's simply not enough :wink:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nauf
Senior
Senior
CW-watches: 7

Post by nauf »

Thegreyman wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:28 am Now what's this about only buying 5 watches this year, get with the programme, that's simply not enough :wink:
Thanks Patrick.
What a nice way to tease me for next purchases. :lol: Yeah!! That C65 Pepsi bezel is on my radar :D

Niz
My small CW collection:
|C20 Lido|C65 GMT|C7 Auto|C60 MKII Bronze|C65 Auto|C60 MKIII GMT|C65 SH21 LE|C65 AM GT LE
Willf
CW-watches: 1

Post by Willf »

Should have posted this here!
Hi, new here and thought I’d add a few thoughts re my first CW a C65 GMT which was a surprise Xmas gift from my wife.

My daily wearer has been a 2004 Rolex Submariner 16610 bought in 07. In that time I’ve owned a Rolex date and explorer 1, IWC MK xii, Zenith rainbow flyback, O&W chronograph 7750, Omega seamaster, Seikos, Smith W10 amongst others so I feel I’m well placed to compare quality.

I have wanted a GMT watch for sometime now, but a watch that had a conservative but fresh design with a modest case size and had been looking at CW for a while, obviously overlooked by my wife!!
I’ve spent time looking through the forums and YouTube reviews of the c65 GMT and other than the 41mm really appreciated the fresh take with the slight homage nod to the Exp 2 1655 orange 24 hr hand. I liked the retro look as well as the thinner bezel and yes I love on this CW the name at 9. I think the balance of the dail layout is superb. Is it worth £960 though? My wife thought so seeing how taken I was overall and also used a discount promo offer of £100!

So what do I think 4 days in?

Well the build, fit and quality are superb. It’s the most comfortable watch I’ve worn and the 41mm case doesn’t appear too large on my wrist. The dial is lovely with the markers precisely inset, crisp hands and font. The black enamel 24 numbers are also superb.

Every element of the case is also superbly finished, from the coin edge of the bezel, it’s precise and positive operation to the logo on the crown, caseback, sharp defined edges with polished and brushed finishes to a real quality bracelet with the 8mm ratchet adjustable clasp. Very impressed overall here.

And what about that ETA movement? Has CW refined it? Because as I type and after it was synchronised on Xmas morning it is less than one second slow. Correct less than -1 sec and I’ve been wearing it constantly!

There is however one big problem that is a real issue for me and thats dial legibility.

The hr and minute hand are very slender, same width and in low light it’s hard to read the time as the other issue is the old radium lume. Sure this helps give a lovely vintage look but it is frankly useless. If I artificially charge it up for 30 secs it is legible for less than 10 mins. Or move from a naturally light space to a darker room for instance there is no discernible glow. This is a near on £1000 watch also marketed as a diver, where you go from light to dark as well as a dual time watch! The orange hand is gorgeous in daylight but again is difficult to read again the small black 24 hr numbers in the bezel and suffers the same lume issues.

I have read about poor lume quality on CW but only since owning this watch. Old Radium super LumiNova should be fine so I assume it’s due to poor application as in not enough coats? I’m really sorry to pan this beautiful watch in this way but at this price point and how the watch is marketed it’s just not good enough CW. Have you saved here to spend elsewhere on the watch or you’ve just gone too far with style over functionality?? I’d be interested to get their reply when I contact them.
PH87

Post by PH87 »

Love this, usually not to fussed with GMT or faux lume but really do like this watch... The logo at 12 is a great touch also hope that is incorporated on all watches now going forward?
krsnik02.abel

Post by krsnik02.abel »

Hi,

My first post here. I bought this watch and it arrived in Dec.

I love the GMT hand, even though some hate it. I do like a lot of details on the case like smooth edges going from brushed to polished, bezel teeth, trident on the back, nice crown.

There was however one issue with the watch. See attached photo of the watch. The trident side of the seconds hand was bent down toward dial. Looked like almost touching the minutes hand. I sent the photo to CW and they said that do not see any issue and asked to send it back so they can see it in real. And so I did. The response was that this is so by design and there is nothing wrong with the watch.

Looking at the shop and googled images I thing that design is not this way. On CW page photos I see a straight vertical seconds hand.

Those who have/had this watch please see attached photo and let me know what you think. Do you see the hand bent down? Is this the same at you watch?

I actually consider reordering it with hope to have a better piece with straight seconds hand...
Attachments
F803414A-4D5F-4F0F-AABB-8A8221F5B9BB.jpeg
Rebnats
Senior
Senior

Post by Rebnats »

Hi, Just checked mine out and my seconds hand is dead straight, including Trident end. If anything mine is pointing ever so slightly down on the lume end tip, which is fine. If otherwise you are happy with the watch, just give customer services a ring and discuss wheather they would be willing to straighten it or exchange.
C60 Trident Bronze Pro 600
C65 Trident GMT.

Tag Heuer McLaren .
Tissot Classic T Touch.
Seiko Starfish.
krsnik02.abel

Post by krsnik02.abel »

I asked them to send me replacement but they just returned the money. I was ready to keep a CW watch if they admit it was something wrong and send a better piece.
DavidA

Post by DavidA »

I have just received one with a blue dial. A question should the GMT hand move exactly an hour every time? Mine sits just past the hour mark and does so even if I adjust it, cannot make it move bang on to the hour. If its meant to be that way fine if not I had better send it back. Unless there is a particular moment when you should adjust the GMT hand.
StrappedUp
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 0

Post by StrappedUp »

Yes, the GMT hand adjusts in 1-hr increments(jumps).

Adjust the main hour hand to be bang on the hour before you adjust the GMT hand. The GMT hand should also be pointing to the hour.
If not, it sounds like it could misaligned.

Could you post a pic?
Ryan
DavidA

Post by DavidA »

Ok I will go and adjust all the hands and see what it looks like, thanks.