Discuss Christopher Ward watches
StrapMeister
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 2

Re: Shocking repair time

Post by StrapMeister »

My 2p worth...and the way I see it.
Most AD's are more than helpful to sell you a watch - they have several brands in store to tempt you with.
However, they do not (in the majority of cases) service the watches themselves.
They have to be sent to an authorised service centre for that particular brand.
Service centres are few and far between.
So the AD sends it off, you join the queue and wait - depending on workload and the complexity of the service this could be a matter of weeks or indeed months.
Fnew
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by Fnew »

Hello lads, long time no post for me. That's a whole different post and story (rather boring though) but, I've had an issue myself arise with CW service.

I noticed not long ago that the lume pip had once again gone missing from my C60 COSC. Since I had never taken advantage of the free service that CW offered with the whole ETA/Sellita movement mixup, I decided to send it back to the mothership for a little TLC. I placed the watch in the mail at the end of September and the wait began.

The watch sat in customs for over a month before it was finally released and CW actually got the watch on November 22nd. I was told that turn around would be 5-6 weeks. The work to be done was to have the bezel repaired/replaced (there was a dent), the lume pip replaced, and a service. There was nothing mechanically wrong with the watch when I mailed it and it was keeping excellent time.

Katrina, emailed me this morning to tell me that it has failed quality control and it going back in for "Urgent repair." Don't get me wrong, I would rather them take their time and make sure everything is perfect but, at this point they have had my watch in service for over 2 months and I still don't have an estimated return date. And remember what I said, it was functioning perfectly fine when I mailed it to them. They have issued me a full refund for the repair without me even asking for one.

Living in the US has always meant that returning a watch overseas is a waiting game. I was more irritated that no one from customs contacted me to say that they needed more information before they could release the watch to CW than anything else. Once the watch made its way to CW, I was kept informed (for the most part) but, this latest delay has gotten me a bit frustrated. The 1st time the lume pip went missing it was less than a month from mailing the watch to getting it back.
Fred

C60 COSC, Orient Mako XL, Raymond Weil Traditions Auto, Daniel JeanRichard Grand TV, Vintage Omega Seamaster, Baume & Mercier Riveria Auto, Citizen Eco Drive, 121 Time Custom Chrono, Invicta Speedway, vintage Seiko Business A, the one I built
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

I wonder whether it's all hands on deck in November/December processing orders for XMAS and also January with the increased volumes due to the sale? So taking staff from other areas such as servicing and repairs which are not perceived as immediate or as time sensitive as shipping out watches etc
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Thermexman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 4

Post by Thermexman »

It’s probably more to do with the number of watch repairers that CW employ. I don’t suppose there are too many?
Steve.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

With the number of faulty CW’s I’m reading about along with my own one, think they should consider recruiting.
These long waits and increased numbers of repairs should see more technicians brought in.
That or get the QC and quality right in the first place.
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

^^^^ 3?......... three?.........months........12 weeks?
:shock:

Shocking.
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

Your post disappeared Nordwolf??
C65 Trident Diver Blue
nordwulf

Post by nordwulf »

Oh sorry.. I was reading back through the thread and noticed I was repeating myself and deleted the post.

Yeah, 3 months was a bit dissapointing for a simple crown repair. But that included shipping and 3 week holdup in UK customs.
http://horology.world/forums/topic/51-w ... pher-ward/
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

nordwulf wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:26 pm Oh sorry.. I was reading back through the thread and noticed I was repeating myself and deleted the post.

Yeah, 3 months was a bit dissapointing for a simple crown repair. But that included shipping and 3 week holdup in UK customs.
http://horology.world/forums/topic/51-w ... pher-ward/
:thumbup:
C65 Trident Diver Blue
Kip
The Administrator
The Administrator
CW-watches: 150
LE-one: yes
LE-two: yes
LE-three: yes
LE-foura: yes
LE-fourb: yes
LE-five: yes
LE-six: yes
LESeven: yes

Post by Kip »

I think this subject (topic ) has gone full circle. :silent:
Kip

"Asylum Administrator"

Visit the CWArchives for everything CW. Historical, specs, manuals and resale. It is all there.
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Please note, my thoughts are based on my own experiences of buying two CW watches and having one of them fail within a week of purchase.

CW say their watches are designed in the UK and made/assembled in Switzerland.

For me the first thing to identify is where the fault(s) lie.......bad/poor design/material specification (UK responsibility), this end of the business gets it sorted out so the Swiss only make and send good products for CW Towers to sell.

or bad/poor manufacturing processes and/or bad/poor assembly followed by inadequate QC (Swiss responsibility), this end of the business do not send any poor quality products to CW Towers so customers do not experience premature failures.

or even worse, problems in both areas!

After identifying where/who is responsible, throwing the necessary resources, technical, QC, field testing, financial at the problem until it is eliminated such that the customer does not experience premature failures......only a worn out watch after a lifetime of use and contented ownership.

And as for servicing, most if not all CW owners will register their new watch on purchase. Therefore why is it not possible with the aid of today’s fantastic computing power, for CW to schedule and arrange an owners service such that their watch simply ‘flows into the servicing schedules’ avoiding surges to the system such that the watch is in, out and back in a month maximum?

Regards,

Tempus
what-time-is-it
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller

Post by what-time-is-it »

Had a chat with Oris UK today - they quote 4 weeks for warranty repairs.
Current collection incl Citizen, G-Shock, Rolex, Seiko, Sinn & Tag.

Chris
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

what-time-is-it wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:43 pm Had a chat with Oris UK today - they quote 4 weeks for warranty repairs.
That’s not bad. Mine’s coming up to 8 weeks with CW.
:(
C65 Trident Diver Blue
BillyNelson

Post by BillyNelson »

For me, has been 2 months and counting for a C1 5-day Chrono that arrived DOA with a loose rotor, got it from January sale. Phoned yesterday, the lady basically told me that I'll get it when it's ready. If I hadn't actually liked the watch, I would have asked for a refund a couple of weeks ago.
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Essex Paul »

I’ve set myself a deadline for 10 weeks.
If not received by then I’ll tell them to keep it and issue me with a refund.
If they don’t, will push the issue. Visiting CW myself.
C65 Trident Diver Blue