Discuss Christopher Ward watches
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Re: The "I've never seen a stranger wearing a CW" thread

Post by Essex Paul »

DanielDZ wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:03 pm
strapline wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:55 pm Just saw this thread and I thought I'd throw my pennies worth in. I'm often glancing at men's wrists to see what they might be wearing. As a watch enthusiast, you think that every other male wrist is going to be sporting a watch of note. This does not appear to be the case. I thought every other male on the planet was after a Tudor BB58. I've never seen one out in the wilds, must be that waiting list! Rolex subs, they should be everywhere according to the cacophony of internet coveting. Only seen a handful in my lifetime. Omega Speedmaster's...only ever seen one on a friend's wrist. CW's? Again, never seen one in the flesh, doing its thing, sweeping at however many vph. In short, the watch enthusiast is a pretty small tribe out of a global population in excess of 7 billion. I guess you could say we're a storm in a teacup. Undeniably the watch I see with the greatest frequency is the iWatch or the Fitbit, Garmin seem to have quite a presence too. I probably shouldn't have used the word 'frequency' in the last sentence, for where those last three manufacturers are concerned, there isn't an auto movement in sight.
This is so true! It's all apple watches and fit bits in the UK.

Not entirely true. As Mikkei has rightly said it’s all about location. Plenty of luxury watches in London and Canary Wharf. Essex too.
I guess it all depends where you live and work. :thumbup:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 0

Post by strapline »

Essex Paul wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:37 pm
strapline wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:55 pm Just saw this thread and I thought I'd throw my pennies worth in. I'm often glancing at men's wrists to see what they might be wearing. As a watch enthusiast, you think that every other male wrist is going to be sporting a watch of note. This does not appear to be the case. I thought every other male on the planet was after a Tudor BB58. I've never seen one out in the wilds, must be that waiting list! Rolex subs, they should be everywhere according to the cacophony of internet coveting. Only seen a handful in my lifetime. Omega Speedmaster's...only ever seen one on a friend's wrist. CW's? Again, never seen one in the flesh, doing its thing, sweeping at however many vph. In short, the watch enthusiast is a pretty small tribe out of a global population in excess of 7 billion. I guess you could say we're a storm in a teacup. Undeniably the watch I see with the greatest frequency is the iWatch or the Fitbit, Garmin seem to have quite a presence too. I probably shouldn't have used the word 'frequency' in the last sentence, for where those last three manufacturers are concerned, there isn't an auto movement in sight.

Not entirely true. As Mikkei has rightly said it’s all about location. Plenty of luxury watches in London and Canary Wharf. Essex too.
It's ALL about location and wealth per capita etc. Even in London, with a population of 12+million , relative to the population, there still wouldn't be that many high-end watches. I wouldn't mind betting you're talking a fraction of 1% at most. As someone said earlier, smartphones are a much more coveted item nowadays. I heard that Rolex produce a million watches a year across their range, so someone's buying them. But again, out of a global population of 7+billion people...well, you know what I'm saying.

I wonder how many watches CW produces a year, that'd be interesting to know.
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 1

Post by TigerChris »

strapline wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:52 pm

It's ALL about location and wealth per capita etc. Even in London, with a population of 12+million , relative to the population, there still wouldn't be that many high-end watches. I wouldn't mind betting you're talking a fraction of 1% at most. As someone said earlier, smartphones are a much more coveted item nowadays. I heard that Rolex produce a million watches a year across their range, so someone's buying them. But again, out of a global population of 7+billion people...well, you know what I'm saying.

I wonder how many watches CW produces a year, that'd be interesting to know.
How can it ALL be about location? It has a lot to do with it, but not ALL. I live just outside Pontefract, which isn’t the most affluent of places and I have a mate who lives in Castleford that wears an Omega big blue as his daily. Not exactly well to do areas. Walk around Sheffield Meadowhall and you’ll see plenty of blokes window shopping in the AD’s wearing Omegas, Tudor, Tag etc... - I’ve had several conversations with people about watches in there. Not seen any CW’s though
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

TigerChris wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:34 pm
How can it ALL be about location? It has a lot to do with it, but not ALL. I live just outside Pontefract, which isn’t the most affluent of places and I have a mate who lives in Castleford that wears an Omega big blue as his daily. Not exactly well to do areas. Walk around Sheffield Meadowhall and you’ll see plenty of blokes window shopping in the AD’s wearing Omegas, Tudor, Tag etc... - I’ve had several conversations with people about watches in there. Not seen any CW’s though
I'll be in the WF6 area myself next week, and will wear my Rolex just to help prove your theory :lol:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

Well I have seen more people wearing a CW “in the wild” than I have seen wearing an omega Speedmaster Moonwatch - the score is CW 2 - SM 0.

Far too many generalisations about the number of people wearing Rolex etc.. in London. A look at AD locations for the “higher end of luxury” brands indicates they are quite widely spread - they wouldn’t be there unless there were sufficient customers to sell to.

E.g. I was in Cornwall on holiday a few weeks ago. Cornwall is one of the poorest counties in the UK (and in Northern Europe). There is a PP AD that is also a Rolex AD. They don’t have any difficulty selling their wares to locals.

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
jkbarnes
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 3

Post by jkbarnes »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:25 pm ^^^unfortunately none of the last few contributors above saying they haven't seen Speedy's, Subs or many luxury watches have their locations showing, which would be interesting to know where there is a lack of any such brands on people's wrists.

Good observation. I'm in the suburbs just outside Washington, DC, in the US. I should also add that I work in public education - not exactly a field where one might expect to see a lot of high end watches! I wouldn't be surprised if my C65 Trident Vintage is the most expensive watch in my building! :lol: :lol:

I imagine my brother, who works in high dollar sales, sees a lot more luxury brands than I do.
Drew
nbg
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 14

Post by nbg »

jkbarnes wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:09 pm
Mikkei4 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:25 pm ^^^unfortunately none of the last few contributors above saying they haven't seen Speedy's, Subs or many luxury watches have their locations showing, which would be interesting to know where there is a lack of any such brands on people's wrists.

Good observation. I'm in the suburbs just outside Washington, DC, in the US. I should also add that I work in public education - not exactly a field where one might expect to see a lot of high end watches! I wouldn't be surprised if my C65 Trident Vintage is the most expensive watch in my building! :lol: :lol:

I imagine my brother, who works in high dollar sales, sees a lot more luxury brands than I do.
Oh I forgot to mention my CW 2 - SM 0 was from a perspective of working in the West End and City of London for the last 15 years of my career. Whilst I saw high end watches, it was not nearly as many as would generally be assumed. Perhaps it was more a case that the clients and staff I worked with wore their watches appropriately under their cuff. :)

Neil
Other watch forums of interest:
TZ-UK
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:51 pm
I'll be in the WF6 area myself next week, and will wear my Rolex just to help prove your theory :lol:
Cheers Patrick :lol: :thumbup: WF6? Normanton area? I’m about 10/15 mins away in WF9.
Thegreyman
Trusted Seller
Trusted Seller
CW-watches: 6

Post by Thegreyman »

TigerChris wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 pm
Cheers Patrick :lol: :thumbup: WF6? Normanton area? I’m about 10/15 mins away in WF9.
Yes Chris we have an office near Normanton, fine part of the world that it is :thumbup:
Patrick

C60 Pro 300, C60 Sunrise, C63 Sealander Lucerne blue LE, C65 Dartmouth, W11 Amelia (wife), C63 Sealander (son)

Some others + a few on the way
sproughton
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 4

Post by sproughton »

nbg wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:34 pm
Oh I forgot to mention my CW 2 - SM 0 was from a perspective of working in the West End and City of London for the last 15 years of my career. Whilst I saw high end watches, it was not nearly as many as would generally be assumed. Perhaps it was more a case that the clients and staff I worked with wore their watches appropriately under their cuff. :)

Neil
I think there's too much random chance to draw many conclusions. Taking the Northern line daily until recently I could almost guarantee to see at least one submariner and one seamaster in a short 15 minute journey each morning. Strangely I'll agree on the Speedmaster, very rarely noticed one.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Thegreyman wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:46 pm
TigerChris wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Yes Chris we have an office near Normanton, fine part of the world that it is :thumbup:
Well, if you ever stop over in the area give me a shout and we could grab a few pints somewhere :thumbup:
Mikkei4
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by Mikkei4 »

TigerChris wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:34 pm How can it ALL be about location? It has a lot to do with it, but not ALL.
Just to clarify - I never said the number of luxury watches seen in the streets or at places of work was "ALL about location". The number of high-end watches I used to see in London was because they were worn in the financial institutions (and the car dealers) in the 2 main financial areas, i.e City of London and Canary Wharf.

I asked the location question because I was surprised by the statement that Omega, Rolex etc watches had never been seen being worn. There are numerous members of this Forum spread across the length and breadth of the UK that have Moonwatches, Subs, Seamasters, Explorers etc etc so I was interested in knowing the locations of those that haven't seen people wearing such watches. Just curious.
TigerChris
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by TigerChris »

Mikkei4 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:08 pm
TigerChris wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 8:34 pm How can it ALL be about location? It has a lot to do with it, but not ALL.
Just to clarify - I never said the number of luxury watches seen in the streets or at places of work was "ALL about location". The number of high-end watches I used to see in London was because they were worn in the financial institutions (and the car dealers) in the 2 main financial areas, i.e City of London and Canary Wharf.

I asked the location question because I was surprised by the statement that Omega, Rolex etc watches had never been seen being worn. There are numerous members of this Forum spread across the length and breadth of the UK that have Moonwatches, Subs, Seamasters, Explorers etc etc so I was interested in knowing the locations of those that haven't seen people wearing such watches. Just curious.
I was replying to Straplines post :lol: :lol:
Essex Paul
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod
CW-watches: 2

Post by Essex Paul »

TigerChris wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:23 pm

And when I said London I meant the City, not Greater London. :lol:
C1 Grand Malvern Power Reserve
C65 Trident Diver Blue
strapline
Senior Forumgod
Senior Forumgod

Post by strapline »

Essex Paul wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:47 pm
TigerChris wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:23 pm

And when I said London I meant the City, not Greater London. :lol:
Mmm...I think my last post was misinterpreted, hence my reply to the thread. When I said 'ALL about location', I was not inferring 'SOLELY about location,' for that would be clearly wrong. There can be no doubt that there is a larger uptake of luxury watches in bigger cities, with higher paid employment opportunities, and higher property values etc. Think of Hong Kong, New York, Tokyo, Dubai, London etc. It doesn't mean that there are no AD's in other locations around the globe, and it doesn't mean that people are not wearing luxury watches in these locations either. This is the point I was trying to make.

But, returning to the topic of the thread, I live in southern Ireland and am yet to see a CW in the flesh. I hope that changes as I'd like to engage the owner in a conversation. And, btw, does anyone have a figure for how many watches CW manufactures a year, it'd be interesting to know?
Does melancholy count as two of your five daily servings?